Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Apr 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #856 of 2,875
Which cable is best between the ADL ihp-35 and the oehlbach dic35501 xxl? The latter looks way better and is actually cheaper (by $15), but if im spending that much on a cable, I want the best sounding cable period. I have the v-moda currently, but i dont like the super tight fitment, its too hard to remove and insert

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #857 of 2,875
There's been reports on Amazon.com that v2 has a worse fit than v1, more than 1 person said it, that's why I chose to go with v1 for 199 euro instead of v2 for 279. I'll see if it really suffers from low volume without an amp soon :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #858 of 2,875
I tried the H6 V1 with my Nexus 6p in a shop today, and straight from the Phone the volume is sufficient, but I would like to have another step or two up on volume. It sounds fantastic though. I've ordered me a AudioQuest Dragonfly Red,so I might go for the V1 as well ☺️

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #859 of 2,875
Got my h6 gen 2’s a few weeks ago and I love them. If you’re just getting into high quality headphones, the h6 should be your first pair. I say that, because you can use it in every setting: portable, home or office. Of course, you’ll need a decent extension to play from your laptop or stereo. 

The fit and comfort is amazing. I use the h6’s when I’m doing chores around the house or making phone calls, and I barely notice they’re on. No break-in necessary. The cord is the perfect length for portability. I wore them on a recent plane flight and they were just what I need. You definitely don’t get total noise isolation (which I’m sure my girlfriend appreciates when she’s trying to get my attention), but once you crank the volume a little, you’re in your own world. 

High quality balanced sound from my iPhone or Fiio X5. No, they’re not as amazing as hd600’s, but for closed headphones, their range is amazing. You can really crank these hp’s without hurting (fatiguing) your ears, which is really the most important thing for me.

You can look to other reviews for a critical analysis of their sound performance. For me, the most important features in these headphones are the comfort, portability and lack of fatigue; the h6’s score big in all three. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #860 of 2,875
Hi, I have both the 1st and 2nd gen and have a few comments to share. The 2nd gen is definitely a bit looser on the head but I wouldn't say one was better than the other. If I was blindfolded I would know by feel which is which that is all, just enough difference to tell. I listen mostly right from my iPhone and the 2nd gen is better with this configuration, especially the louder you go. The 1st gen's bass suffered the louder they went (from iPhone). Sound wise my opinion as an enthusiest and not an audiophile is they are close when not pushed and with my Dragonfly amp I'm not sure I could tell them apart, both awesome. So to finish, if listening straight from iPhone I think paying more for gen 2 is worth it, with an amp I'm not so sure. I'm happy owning both as I have one for home and one for work. I did impulse buy gen 2 after reading Marco's review. I've tried almost every headphone under $600 US and nothing sounds better to my ears, looks nicer or is as comfortable. 3 big wins for the H6's!

Matt (Nova Scotia)

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #861 of 2,875
Edit:  brokenhat  just posted exactly what I was looking for!  

I love the way this thread is picking up.  

From my point of view, impressions of the V2 will only be valuable if they are in direct, side-by-side comparison to the V1.  And even then, there seemed to be variations within the V1s.   I`ve had two V1s, a Special Edition and my current basic black, and I was relatively `sure` this basic black sounded better than the the SE, when I A-Bed them.  

To be honest, and I`m speculating here of course, I`m suspicious of the V2.  The V1 was such a shock - a fashion headphone so neutral and so revealing, that I`m sure it has only appealed to a limited number of people who are experienced enough to appreciate what it does, ie, `audiophiles`.  But a lot of audiophiles don`t consider it, because they assume (as I did until I heard my friend`s) that it is a fashion headphone.  So I`m guessing B&O wanted to sell more of them and so released a V2 with more mass-appeal sound sig, a la beats.   That`s my unbaked assumption.   

B&O is an odd company for audiophiles: they`re all about design and marketing, branding.  Here, the H6 has always been marketed as a fashion, lifestyle headphone, and seemingly targeting women.  I went to a big B&O concept store here in Tokyo, to see if they had any replacement pads for my H6, and the staff were completely knowledge-less.  Didn`t even know the pads could be removed and replaced.  I`m sure they know absolutely nothing about the drivers or the tuning of the V2.  

I`m going to try to have a session with a V2 vs my V1 today . . . . 

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #864 of 2,875
You can really crank these hp’s without hurting (fatiguing) your ears, which is really the most important thing for me.  
You can look to other reviews for a critical analysis of their sound performance. For me, the most important features in these headphones are the comfort, portability and lack of fatigue; the h6’s score big in all three. 

Agreed, how B&O managed to create a detailed sound with no treble peaks, forward mid-range and yet wide sound-stage is just beyond belief. Utterly impressed.

Hi, I have both the 1st and 2nd gen and have a few comments to share. The 2nd gen is definitely a bit looser on the head but I wouldn't say one was better than the other. If I was blindfolded I would know by feel which is which that is all, just enough difference to tell. I listen mostly right from my iPhone and the 2nd gen is better with this configuration, especially the louder you go. The 1st gen's bass suffered the louder they went (from iPhone). Sound wise my opinion as an enthusiest and not an audiophile is they are close when not pushed and with my Dragonfly amp I'm not sure I could tell them apart, both awesome. So to finish, if listening straight from iPhone I think paying more for gen 2 is worth it, with an amp I'm not so sure. I'm happy owning both as I have one for home and one for work. I did impulse buy gen 2 after reading Marco's review. I've tried almost every headphone under $600 US and nothing sounds better to my ears, looks nicer or is as comfortable. 3 big wins for the H6's!

Matt (Nova Scotia)

Just as I suspected. The iPhone, and Smartphones in general, just cannot push the more power hungry headphones like the H6 v1 at higher volumes. And, as you stated correctly, the louder you try to play them from the iPhone, the bass suffers. Perfect example of the iPhone lacking the amplification power to drive the H6 v1 at higher volumes. This is a limitation of the iPhone, not the headphone, as you know and your dragonfly confirms this.

Great write-up which fits with what B&O have said all along, there is no difference between the two except the slight colour change and impedance rating (which is what makes the most difference to folks playing from the smartphone). Makes sense as to why B&O introduced this slight change. Good move.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #867 of 2,875
Now it is available online in Germany for 249€.
https://www.cyberport.de/b-o-play-beoplay-h6-over-ear-kopfhoerer-2-generation-black-B636-016_961.html

Sounds like a good deal for me and a reasonable price compared to v1.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #869 of 2,875
Anyone able to compare the sound of the h6 v2 and the demon mm400?.

I am wondering how they compare on their own merits, and if the demon is better is it worth an extra 100 as the h6 is now on sale at 299. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #870 of 2,875
I had the Denon MM400 before the H6 and ultimately returned it.

The H6 is more mid forward, much better treble, clear, detailed, and lighter on the head. The Denon MM400 is more bass tuned therefore the mids and especially the treble suffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back