Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,846 of 2,875
haha id never buy such expensive cables and to be honest and a heres a shallow statement coming... i dont really trust products that are getting shipped from china (had bad experiences before) evem though I know that the H6's are made in china and so are most electronics but just buying it from a chinese seller on ebay is a no go for me.

The first link you sent is actually quite interesting but still skeptical because of what you said of the vmoda cable

I think im good for the time being with the stock cable and we'll have to see when the time comes for an upgrade :)

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #1,847 of 2,875
I took advantage of Amazon Prime day and got the H6 2nd gen black. Gave it a good 4 hrs listen yesterday and 2 hrs today. It is going back to Amazon.
It is not defective at all, just much less satisfactory then expected. Compared with Oppo PM3, Audio Technica MSR7 and M50x, PSB M4U2, Shure 840 as far as closed, around-ear goes. It did not add much to what I have already and the PM3 remains king.
The closest rival would be the AT MSR7, same emphasis on mids and highs, leaner sound and reduced sound stage. Certainly lighter than the AT. I also noticed some distortion on loud volumes keeping the same EQ settings used to compare them all. Overall my pick between the 2 is the MSR7.
You must be into a lean sound to like those. They do not lack bass, however perhaps they are somewhat lacking mid bass as the sound did not come across as thick, enveloping enough for my taste.
its unfortunate that you returned it so soon, They definitely need time to burn in, if youre a believer or not ( i wasnt until the ones I heard at the store on display and tried the ones at home, there was definitely a difference)

Also the B&O guy at the store said both gens are meant to eventually sound the same after some time, basically implying burn in.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #1,848 of 2,875

I have this one and although a little bit pricey (compared to the H6 current price..), I think it is well worth it.
Build quality is simply outstanding and I really love how the H6 sounds with it (I have both Gen1 and Gen2).. IMHO the cable brings an airiness and spaciousness to the sound.. I feel improved soundstage and more clarity. But that's me.

The owner, Konstantin, is here on head-fi (@lavricables ) so you can PM him directly if you have questions.
He is very responsive and a pleasure to deal with..

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,849 of 2,875
After coming back into headphones after a few years break (got into speakers for the home) I was looking for a pair of closed cans again that are comfortable and obviously decent in sound within the 200-300 range. Options at the time for me were either Audio Technica MSR7's, Sony MDR1A's, and the B&O H6's.

I demoed the other 2 headphones before trying the H6's and wasn't quite getting the taste I wanted from either of the 2. Before my demo sessions, I was leaning towards the Sony MDR1A because they were what I wanted according to the reviews I read, but disappointingly Sony's bass was way too much for my taste. I can see how they can be fun phones for some people but was a no go for me. Tried on the MSR7's shortly after and they were good and definitely much more neutral and clear... but I wasn't satisfied with their midrange.

A day later I go to a B&O store/boutique (whatever you wanna consider it) and tried on the H6's (1st gen) there without stock cable, it was a B&O replacement cable, no mic, no nothing. Just pure 3.5mm to 3.5mm from B&O. I plugged them directly into my phone and after a couple of tracks I was sold and knew these were it. They sounded much better directly from a smartphone than the other 2 did being driven from proper amps and sources. Absolute lush mids, highs were perfect for my taste, and bass was satisfying. Everything I heard about the Gen 2's were ever so present in these 1st Gens.

I asked the B&O representative after my session about the differences in both the generations and how people claim that both are very different. What he said was that over an extended time they both end up sounding the same, and initially there are variations in manufacturing but assured me again that after a while they are meant to reach a certain signature. (In other words breaking in basically)

It is hardly to believe. I have used for about 10 gen1 of H6, Half of them are limited edition and still keep them.
The signature of brand new gen1 is different from brand new gen2.
Gen 1 after burn in or long term use can refine mid range, add extension to bass response but the signature is far different from gen2 from brand new condition.
From my experience, H6 will benefit very much with a proper desk amp :3 I have tried many and amp (~ 1k) could make H6 sine very nicely, add much extension and weigh to bass :3

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,850 of 2,875
It is hardly to believe. I have used for about 10 gen1 of H6, Half of them are limited edition and still keep them.
Gen 1 after burn in or long term use can refine mid range, add extension to bass response but the signature is far different from gen2 from brand new condition.
From my experience, H6 will benefit very much with a proper desk amp :3 I have tried many and amp (~ 1k) could make H6 sine very nicely, add much extension and weigh to bass :3
I could imagine the help of an amp would truly make these gems shine.
at the moment im considering just a dragonfly, because like many people I actually use my laptop quite a bit on my lap while chilling in bed:darthsmile: couldnt imagine having something else around, that would ruin the luxury of having a laptop and although I do use it on a desk as well. Plus, im travelling a lot.. so theres that also.

Anyways, what combos of amps have you found best to go with the H6's?

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,851 of 2,875
I could imagine the help of an amp would truly make these gems shine.
at the moment im considering just a dragonfly, because like many people I actually use my laptop quite a bit on my lap while chilling in bed:darthsmile: couldnt imagine having something else around, that would ruin the luxury of having a laptop and although I do use it on a desk as well. Plus, im travelling a lot.. so theres that also.

Anyways, what combos of amps have you found best to go with the H6's?
Best is not the right word.
For dap I found out that aune M1S or M2S could pair nicely. Other is Onkyo DPX1 (Japan version) could drive H6 properly.
For dac/amp. Grace design M9xx is a essential friend with H6.
H6 with HDVD800 could be very solid and good speed.
However with audio GD Master 9. It become more mature, base extension is very good and overall keep smooth siganature

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #1,852 of 2,875
I hear/feel the same.
  • Gen1 bass response was quite thin and the mid range was "bumpy".. but heights were to my liking from the beginning. After more than a year of usage, the mid range is more refined and the bass is much tighter and punchy.
  • Gen2 I liked from the beginning, much better bass response, more refined mid range and a bit more sparkle in the heights. (all compared to the "burnt in" Gen1)
I'm currently using them with a Chord Mojo (which I like a lot because of its portability.. as I travel a lot for work), and I find the pairing quite pleasing.

For the current price, I think the BeoPlay H6 is a steal.. and still one of the best looking portable over-ear in the market.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,856 of 2,875
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #1,857 of 2,875
I'm looking for a longer cable for H6 2nd. I know this one is popular here and amazon...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311037727218 <- OFC

Does anyone have an experience with these cables? They are relatively cheap and using different materials.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072DR76RT/ <- Silver plated something
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172597566596 <- 5N OCC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311386507723 <- Silver plated OCC

What color are your headphones? Which cable do you like the look of? That last one is very attractive. I am sure they would all work as long as the end is slim enough to go into the connector on the cup. I only buy new cables if the provided one is too long, too short, too sprongy or too microphonic...in other words, if the stock cable annoys me.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #1,858 of 2,875
What color are your headphones? Which cable do you like the look of? That last one is very attractive. I am sure they would all work as long as the end is slim enough to go into the connector on the cup. I only buy new cables if the provided one is too long, too short, too sprongy or too microphonic...in other words, if the stock cable annoys me.

My pair is on the way and they are black. Pretty sure the 1.2m stock is too short for me.

I don't mind the color of the cable but sound quality, durability, microphonics etc.
The first "popular" one is a somewhat safe choice but there's a review on amazon claiming microphonics. The second POYATU one is dirty cheap on aliexpress right now. The last one looks nice but a little stiff and fragile.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,860 of 2,875
Sorry if this been mentioned before.

Is there someone who has tested Lavricables cable on second generation H6? I just asked him, but he wasn't shure if the plug he uses is thin enough.
If someone has the dimension on the original plug that also would help. I haven't got any good instrument to measure with.

I want a short cable from H6 to Fiio i1. So any suggestions is welcome :)
It should be maximum 20-25 centimetres preferably shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back