BAM!! ATH-M50's go up to $145!!
Dec 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 122
Now all the sellers on Amazon are selling at $139 and same with J&R.  I think I'm going to pick these up soon before they cost that much everywhere

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 122

if you are trying to pick it before the holidays,  I have a feeling they will go back down. Just a hunch.  I can't see them being priced too high considering another $50 dollars from $140/$150 there are so many other headphones to pick from that can be consider better.

Oh yeah I called J&R too, no luck.  They also have their D2000 price a little high for me.  I was hoping the holiday would lower down the price, but I was wrong. I should of made a move in sept. or oct., I forgot, but the prices of the d2000 was really good. 
Quote:
Now all the sellers on Amazon are selling at $139 and same with J&R.  I think I'm going to pick these up soon before they cost that much everywhere

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #22 of 122
About time you americans start paying the same as we europeans have for these headphones as long as I could remember.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #23 of 122
I wonder how it would hold up if the price would stay at that price.  I sometime thing they are highly regarded because of the low price they are in the US.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #24 of 122

Quote:
I wonder how it would hold up if the price would stay at that price.  I sometime thing they are highly regarded because of the low price they are in the US.

Yea, that's why they have been so popular in the US. Trust me ATH-M50 is much less popular around here at $100 they really have exceptional value, at 140~$150 it's more in-line compared to other headphones and not always such a great choice depending what you're looking for. I paid like 140 EUR for my M50 (2nd hand lightly used even! Due to being very uncommon in Finland the price is high) but sold it within a week or so, not my type of headphone.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 122
The M50 is not for head-fiers and wasn't designed with us in mind. It's a studio phone with a head-fi following. If you have a studio, then $150 is not a big deal. Now they may have raised prices just to see if they can because of the holidays and might leave them that way until the new year. People were paying $150-200 for these on head-fi 2 years ago. And I disagree that there are better options even at $150 or $200.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #26 of 122

Quote:
The M50 is not for head-fiers and wasn't designed with us in mind. It's a studio phone with a head-fi following. If you have a studio, then $150 is not a big deal. Now they may have raised prices just to see if they can because of the holidays and might leave them that way until the new year. People were paying $150-200 for these on head-fi 2 years ago. And I disagree that there are better options even at $150 or $200.

That depends entirely on WHAT use it'll be used for and what kind of preferences in sound you have. I can't stress this enough on this site, many thinks everything is so black and white and cuz you think it's amazing it has to be amazing for every1 etc, for me even a 3x cheaper XB500 is a better choice. Just the way the AKG K70x like or hate discussions shows up every now and then. ^^ M50 are liked among lots of people because they are a good "middlepath" headphone, they are neither extremely warm or laid-back, pretty much neutral/in-between so it should at least sound great to lots of users but if you prefer a very warm sounding headphone, a very warm sounding headphone will sound better than M50 for example.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #28 of 122

Quote:

there are better option depending on preference on what you like.  At that price, they be up even with the price of such as srh840, 750dj, some beyers, and the lower denons or a little more even the d2000 if you have an amp already.  I'm sure it can some what hold itself against these guys, but it would be as such of a great value to performance ratio.  You don't usually see people recommending the M50 over these guys very often unless price is an issue.  This is just what I been noticing.  If you see someone requesting something good for under $200, the M50 is not really what they recommend.

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #29 of 122
I obviously meant if you like the M50...there are few if any competitors, at any price point. I think the 750DJ is about the only one that is as portable and easily driven with similar sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back