BAM!! ATH-M50's go up to $145!!
Nov 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122

Shipley

New Head-Fier
Am I going crazy or has Amazon just re-listed the M50's as now $145 as opposed to the old $106??? These headphones have been near the $100 mark for MONTHS, and all of a sudden a giant price increase....Am I missing something? Is this a new and improved batch of cans or something? Why not change the model type? I'm soo confused!!! I was going get these for Christmas and all of a sudden BAM!

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 122
I'm guessing you don't track Amazon often, because their prices on a lot of items fluctuate constantly, and sometimes wildly.

B&H's prices, on the other hand, usually remain static: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ATH+M50&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 122
I would rather not risk money on ebay. I've heard and experienced WAY to many things regarding ebay to ever use it confidently. There have been tons of factory seconds and fakes going around with the M50's on ebay recently as well.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 122
It's called the law of supply and demand.

There must have been a significant increase in demand (i.e. sales) on Amazon.  Throw in someone there probably checking all the sites like Head-Fi and noticing greatly increased interest in them.

That gets you to a 30% sales price increase on Amazon.

You can still get them for around $110 shipped and at most $120 shipped, from other places.

Here's a link to those as searched by Google.com:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=audio+technica+ath-m50&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9471239444166504050#scoring=tp

My recommendations are B&H Photo and J&R Music.  I've bought many items from them in the past, besides headphones, always had prompt service, and they shipped quickly.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 122
yup, amazon have increased most (not all) of there headphone prices...I've been thinking about purchasing the D2000, but the price just increased over the holidays...booooo!!!! now I have to wait and I can't even find them for lower elsewhere.  Hopefully it'll go back down soon.

oh and +1 on B&H, quick shipping and very trusty.  I ordered many things from them actually a few thousands on other product.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 122

Quote:
yup, amazon have increased most (not all) of there headphone prices...I've been thinking about purchasing the D2000, but the price just increased over the holidays...booooo!!!! now I have to wait and I can't even find them for lower elsewhere.  Hopefully it'll go back down soon.

oh and +1 on B&H, quick shipping and very trusty.  I ordered many things from them actually a few thousands on other product.

But that mean the gap to go from D2000 to D5000 is now smaller :)  go for it!

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 122
You americans are lucky regarding M50 price anyway, here the normal cost is 145 EUR.

About the same as DT770 Pro/80, which is where it really could be IMO based on SQ.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 122
It may just be a ploy; next thing you know they'll but "On Sale" for ~$106 for Christmas.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 122
I wish I can jump for the d5000, sorry but Santa has not been that kind to me.

Quote:
Quote:

But that mean the gap to go from D2000 to D5000 is now smaller :)  go for it!

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 122
Just checked Amazon.  It was not Amazon raising the price, but their vendor The Recording Store.  Apparently, this is a secondary vendor who lists on the Amazon website

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 122
Some idiot is actually selling the SRH-840 on amazon for $399. Yet they have 99% positive feedback. This doesn't make sense....

M50s are definitely not worth more then $130 to me.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 122

Quote:
Some idiot is actually selling the SRH-840 on amazon for $399. Yet they have 99% positive feedback. This doesn't make sense....

I'm all for diverging opinions and but your experience of the M50 is perplexing and so contrary to everyone else' findings.

I recall you mentioning in another thread that on your 2nd gen ipod touch you had to set volume to max to get a decent level. I replied to that post saying that on my 2nd gen touch 2 notches past halfway is loud and anything beyond is hearing loss territory. Have you considered that your M50 may be faulty or possibly a fake?

I think the praise the M50 gets on this forum can be a bit much at times. When I first got mine I knew the sound signature wasn't for me. It wasn't until recently that I started to really appreciate it. Having said that, I knew instantly that it was deserving of being one of the first cans recommended in its price range.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 122

Quote:
Quote:

I'm all for diverging opinions and but your experience of the M50 is perplexing and so contrary to everyone else' findings.

I recall you mentioning in another thread that on your 2nd gen ipod touch you had to set volume to max to get a decent level. I replied to that post saying that on my 2nd gen touch 2 notches past halfway is loud and anything beyond is hearing loss territory. Have you considered that your M50 may be faulty or possibly a fake?

I think the praise the M50 gets on this forum can be a bit much at times. When I first got mine I knew the sound signature wasn't for me. It wasn't until recently that I started to really appreciate it. Having said that, I knew instantly that it was deserving of being one of the first cans recommended in its price range.

I only said the M50 are not worth more then $130 to me. I never said I didn't like them silly
normal_smile%20.gif

I bought the M50 from whatever company had that $11 "sale". They were an authorized reseller. I only got a chance to try that pair for 15 minutes before I shipped them back (long story). They were the white boxed version. I previously had the black box version.

The black boxed and white boxed versions are supposed to be a bit different. I'm guessing you had the black flap version? I remember with that pair I didn't have to increase the volume that much.

I always did like my M50. I kept mine for over 6 months I think. I never really was impressed with them, but they are a good deal and are worth $100 or even $120, but not any more. Especially considering the SRH-440 is only $80-$90 and isn't much worse. The k240 is also only $100 and are far better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back