Balanced SS high-end amps (Apache, RPX-300, Phoenix, GS-X)
Oct 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really sure why we have to wait for non custom builds. It's not that much of an investment to build a single amp as a buffer is it? Yes the amps mentioned in this thread are very expensive and you have some control over how it turns out but I'd rather just have a standard edition this week rather than wait a month+ for my special edition. All comes down to what you really want to do I guess. Even with some smaller [cheaper] amps, there is a waiting time.
angry_face.gif

With respect to Headamp, his issues seem to be largely case related. Which is to say, he doesn't stock them. So when he gets orders he has to order cases from his case manfacturer, get them annodized, engraved/silkscreeened, etc... Moreover each process seems to be with a different company which can lengthen the process.

From what I can tell by reading threads over the years it doesn't seem like he orders cases until he gets a certain amount of orders (a number unbeknownst to anybody but Justin) or a certain amount of time passes, which is equally as arbitrary.

Given his small volume that certainly makes sense, as the more you order the cheaper it is and the higher prioirty it tends to be. That being said, it baffles me why he doesn't suck it up and keep a few cases in stock in anticipation for orders or switch to a run based business model, like Eddie Current.

That being said, 8 weeks is a totally bogus lead time and the only way he'll ever achieve that is by having cases (and other parts) in stock.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #47 of 67
Dr Stor built my amp in 25 calendar days, 17 working days.
He started the work before I even sent my payment, in good faith based on my email.
Now that's what I call service!

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #48 of 67
This thread has gone off into a different direction, but as OP I thought I should let you know about my decision concerning amps. To cut a long story short, I went ahead and bought the GS-X which was for sale on these forums. It was on my list of amps anyway and buying it from a European head-fier means that I don't have to wait long until I get it plus I don't have any hassles with import taxes. Now I'm pretty excited about my decision and am looking forward to next week when my GS-X hopefully arrives.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #49 of 67
I am pleased you bought Andreas' amp, as I suggesed earlier on. The GS-X is an excellent amp, enjoy it!

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #50 of 67
Thanks! I don't even want to listen through my old amp anymore. Soon, soon...

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #51 of 67
Patience is a virtue!
(Easier said than done)
Think about balanced HP's next. Now is a must.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about balanced HP's next. Now is a must.

Of course! I want to get the HD800. Now I have to find out how to have it re-cabled. I doubt I'll do it myself. I'm just not experienced with these kinds of things.

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple_Dreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course! I want to get the HD800. Now I have to find out how to have it re-cabled. I doubt I'll do it myself. I'm just not experienced with these kinds of things.

Doesn't if just pull out like the HD650's

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say you have a nice line-up here, but I would drop the Rudistor and add the EHHA.

I thought the EHHA was hybrid? Besides, the OP's already bought a GS-X.

OP: Congrats on the GS-X. The thing about the GS-X is it's supreme transparency. You'll need a source that is able to be stand up to this kind of scrutiny; otherwise it's flaws will be ruthlessly revealed.

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the EHHA was hybrid? Besides, the OP's already bought a GS-X.

OP: Congrats on the GS-X. The thing about the GS-X is it's supreme transparency. You'll need a source that is able to be stand up to this kind of scrutiny; otherwise it's flaws will be ruthlessly revealed.

I didn't know Hybrids were off limits? Must have missed that.

Didn't know he finished with the Gilmore design, but god stuff there.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm aware of that, and I certainly hope my Electrocompaniet PC-1 is up to the challenge. Since it was made for balanced operation (and also shows its true strengths that way) I'm pretty positive.

Back to the HD800: From what I understand soldering needs to be done to attach the balanced cable? Or is it really just plugging and unplugging? Is there any way I can get a balanced HD800 in Europe without having to do it myself?

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #58 of 67
Quote:

Why not?
The HD800 have plugs attaching the cable to the chassis. So its just a matter of unplugging the old ones then plug in new ones from a balanced cable... Should take you 30 seconds or so.
wink.gif

You see them here: http://i.testfreaks.com/images/produ...00.3064585.jpg

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #59 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not?
The HD800 have plugs attaching the cable to the chassis. So its just a matter of unplugging the old ones then plug in new ones from a balanced cable... Should take you 30 seconds or so.
wink.gif

You see them here: http://i.testfreaks.com/images/produ...00.3064585.jpg

If it's that simple...great!
atsmile.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Back to the HD800: From what I understand soldering needs to be done to attach the balanced cable? Or is it really just plugging and unplugging? Is there any way I can get a balanced HD800 in Europe without having to do it myself?

If already you have a balanced cable with HD800 connectors, it’s only a matter of plugging and unplugging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back