Balanced SS high-end amps (Apache, RPX-300, Phoenix, GS-X)
Oct 17, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #32 of 67
Even though I don't recommend a custom build, I would trust YMB.
The only problem is if anything goes wrong then you'll have to send it back to the US and that could be expensive as a B22 is heavy!

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We've all been there. But maybe the answer is: only use builders that get great reveiws (and no more than one negative) here on Head-Fi. I like that better than "only buying off the rack".

Still I understand your viewpoint. I am currently out $2400 for a custom mod that I think I may never see. I get no answers or bad answers, never anything good. Lucky the fellow is in the U.S. as I am, and the amount is large enough that it is worth getting a lawyer local to him to serve him with papers if it comes to that. The lawyer will take $500, but the court can add that to the award, so I might get it all back. Another $100 to the sheriff to garner his wages or tow his car. Can be done, but a real PIA. Of course I'll do it ... nobody is going to rip me off!

He said he shipped Tuesday, but won't supply a tracking number.

What did I do wrong? Easy -- didn't check with folks here on Head-Fi. I would have been warned. Sure, he has supporters -- these folks always do -- but once you find two people who tell horror stories (one might be an accident), stay away.

who is the builder?

people should not keep this information private. that's how wide-spread problems develop.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #35 of 67
Boy am I glad I saw this thread, I have been debating back and forth between having a Beta-22 built and getting a GS-X for the last month to add balanced to my HD800s. The Beta-22 I heard at a meet last summer was the star of the show. I haven't heard a GS-X but I trust Jasons builds 100% and it has been somewhere on my list for years.....hard choices for us all, huh. Right now I am leaning toward the GS-X just out of convenience though.

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy am I glad I saw this thread, I have been debating back and forth between having a Beta-22 built and getting a GS-X for the last month to add balanced to my HD800s. The Beta-22 I heard at a meet last summer was the star of the show. I haven't heard a GS-X but I trust Jasons builds 100% and it has been somewhere on my list for years.....hard choices for us all, huh. Right now I am leaning toward the GS-X just out of convenience though.

I assume you mean Justin. Not sure by what you mean by convenience, but it is relavent to know that Justin has a major problem with lead times for his big amps. Despite it being a DIY design and having to commission someone, you may in the fact get a B22 or one of the other amps quicker than a GS-X.

There have been people who have waited 8 months or more for one of his bigger amps (GS-X/GS-1). Below is the most recent thread for CS issues concerning Headamp. There have been many more over the years that you can easily find if you search.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hea...68/index2.html

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #37 of 67
Thanks for the heads up, yes Justin. I actually have waited a bit for both my pico and the portable dac that was supposed to be in stock but just got the shipping info after over 3 weeks, he said he hadn't updated the site and was waiting for cases.

So yes and i have followed the waits for the Blue Hawaiians but I didn't realize that there was that long of a wait for the GS-X. It said 8 weeks so that is what i assumed.

Right now i am following Phils thread on his B-22 exploits. Actually I think the one that I heard at the LA meet in May/June was one of the best balanced amps I have ever heard.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up, yes Justin. I actually have waited a bit for both my pico and the portable dac that was supposed to be in stock but just got the shipping info after over 3 weeks, he said he hadn't updated the site and was waiting for cases.

So yes and i have followed the waits for the Blue Hawaiians but I didn't realize that there was that long of a wait for the GS-X. It said 8 weeks so that is what i assumed.

Right now i am following Phils thread on his B-22 exploits. Actually I think the one that I heard at the LA meet in May/June was one of the best balanced amps I have ever heard.

For what it's worth, I waited close to 18 months for a GS-X but eventually decided this was way too long. I ended up cancelling the order and bought something else. I don't know where Justin stands currently on getting his larger amps out faster, but past experience suggests a very long wait may be in store if you decide to buy a GS-X.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well a little bit more, but I had a good bonus in 2007 (ah, those days are gone!) so I went over the top ... here's the spec, but I changed to Furutech Gold XLR's, so that added some $ (I also changed to a 2-chassis design, and added an XLR pass-thru):

1. 3-piece design (black finish): one piece houses the two Sigma power supplies; one each houses each amp channel.
2. Front-mounted relay controlled power button (natural finish, stainless steel)
3. XLR in and out, no switching facilities.
4. Custom engraved panels: A. clear finish 5mm thick front and rear panels for the amp; B. black 4mm thick front and clear finish 5mm thick rear panels for Sigma 22.
5. Black lettering w/ yellow logos for amp front panels; black lettering for amp rear and Sigma 22 rear panels; white lettering w/ yellow logo for Sigma 22 front panel.
6. Black gloss knobs for amp.
7. Swiss-made Neturik XLR connectors (front and rear, black finish)
8. Top covers with custom cut vent holes for both amp and power supply.
9. Blue LEDs

Internal circuits:
1. Nichicon/Panasonic/Elna electrolytic caps
2. Vishay-Dale mil-spec 1% metal film resistors
3. backplane boards
4. 1.5" heat sinks
5. 120VA toroidal power transformer x 2
6. IEC AC inlet w/ filter circuit, dual-fuse chamber.
7. DC umbilical cords terminated with Amphenol Tuchel screw-on connectors
8. Yellow LEDs for internal boards.
9. Goldpoint stepped attenuator x 2

And do you think that the balanced option is different or better than SE? Does sounds better one balanced headphone conected to XLR than conected to SE with an adaptor?

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I waited close to 18 months for a GS-X but eventually decided this was way too long. I ended up cancelling the order and bought something else. I don't know where Justin stands currently on getting his larger amps out faster, but past experience suggests a very long wait may be in store if you decide to buy a GS-X.

Eighteen months.....wow. That is even too long for my patience. He has been responsive to me in the past, i almost find that hard to believe. On my Zana Duex i got in as first order in a run and it took about four months and that seemed like forever. I could deal with eight weeks or even four months if all was required was ordering but it looks like you have to put the money up front. Holding that kind of cash for years seems unfair. Gotta admit the products are great but yikes!

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #41 of 67
Quote:

And that was AtomikPi's single chassis, single power supply Beta22 with hum issues -- and we all loved it. I can't imagine what mine will sound like when it's done.

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:

Eighteen months.....wow. That is even too long for my patience. He has been responsive to me in the past, i almost find that hard to believe. On my Zana Duex i got in as first order in a run and it took about four months and that seemed like forever. I could deal with eight weeks or even four months if all was required was ordering but it looks like you have to put the money up front. Holding that kind of cash for years seems unfair. Gotta admit the products are great but yikes!

I'm not really sure why we have to wait for non custom builds. It's not that much of an investment to build a single amp as a buffer is it? Yes the amps mentioned in this thread are very expensive and you have some control over how it turns out but I'd rather just have a standard edition this week rather than wait a month+ for my special edition. All comes down to what you really want to do I guess. Even with some smaller [cheaper] amps, there is a waiting time.
angry_face.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that was AtomikPi's single chassis, single power supply Beta22 with hum issues -- and we all loved it. I can't imagine what mine will sound like when it's done.

The major advantage with dual σ22 psu is heat dissipation, good for speakers - overkill for headphones. My own dual psu β22 headphone only amp gets warmish never hot - it should make the Phoenix seem like a volcano
tongue.gif

If you have a preconceived notion that a dual σ22 psu build will be automatically sonically superior then good for you, but from what I know they should sound identical with headphones.

A single chassis β22 is definitely a compromise, it’s always a good choice to go with a two chassis build with this amp.

I would not expect any improvements over AtomikPi’s amp, other than some hum issues.

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #44 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a preconceived notion that a dual σ22 psu build will be automatically sonically superior then good for you, but from what I know they should sound identical with headphones.

Let's see how many people believe you. There is something wrong with audiophiles and most are stubborn and have to experience [A/B test I guess] before they are 'converted'. . . . . sounds like a religion.

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I know that you never go half way. Waiting to hear it, hope some day to be able to duplicate it. I have been looking into balanced amps ever since hearing that B22 that day. Glad to see you doin it, I am rooting for you. rooting routing ya whatever you know what i am saying-good luck cu at Christmas to hear it.
icon10.gif
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back