Balanced IEMs with punchy bass - 300$ and below
Sep 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

StigtriX

New Head-Fier

I have read many reviews and searched the forum here for info, but I did not find what I was looking for. I'm not too happy with my Beats by Dr. Dre Tour IEMs as I'm on my second pair and they seem to have the same issue: they are simply not made for normal use. I fold the wire, carefuly, around my J3 and carry it in my jacket pocket or in my backpack when I do not use them. I know how to fold them to avoid stress on the wires etc., so that's not the problem - I'm even considered a maniac when it comes to how I care for my gadgets (the positive and caring maniac, that is...). The problem is, that after some use, one of the monitors fails and becomes weaker. This is most likely due to how they are connected to the housing. I currently have the 2.0 version with the L-plug and improved Y-split, but it's still not good : / They are bought from an official re-seller, so they are not fake.

I am looking for new IEMs with punchy bass, but maybe a more detailed sound with a wider soundstage. I am not interested in IEMs which do not fit my ears in a comfy way. Decent isolation is important as I often use my IEMs on the bus and in the city. I am using my J3 with no additional gadgets.

Genres:
- Rock
- Hard rock
- Metal
- Black metal
- Pop
- Electronica
- House
- Orchestrated music, especially epic game- and movie related music
- Chiptunes

Please list price and the pros and cons if you are interested in helping me decide :)

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 20
Look into these IEM: Westone UM3X, FX700, EX600, and EX1000

Out of all of those, you should look into the FX700 the most if not having ton of isolation would bother you. Otherwise, you should look at the UM3X. I would take the EX1000 myself because it's sound-signature is just heavenly.

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 20
GR07 would be my first recommendation, priced right and meets alll your requirements.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 20
UM3x are the most comfy IEMs I've ever had, and have great bass!!

Never tried the GR07 but they do have angled nozzles, so should be easy to fit? They are 1/2 the price, so they might be a better deal!

However you also get the great 2 year warranty with the UM3x plus an upgradable cable and lots of accessories.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for all the replies. How would you compare the UM3X VS Beats and GR07 VS Beats? I'm very interested in the most noticeable differences, especially bass, soundstage and sound quality related properties as the one thing I dislike the most is IEMs with flat bass and a poor soundstage.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 20
If you want something really heavy on bass, I would recommend Westone UM2 with bi-flange, oh my god, I got headaches from the bass. Um3x has the bass but not as much as Um2, and its overall performance is just a whole new level, such as soundstage and instrument separation.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. How would you compare the UM3X VS Beats and GR07 VS Beats? I'm very interested in the most noticeable differences, especially bass, soundstage and sound quality related properties as the one thing I dislike the most is IEMs with flat bass and a poor soundstage.

The Beats lose to every suggestion thus far. And if you want incredible bass, go for the FX700. If you don't want to pay so much, then I suggest getting the EX600 as it is the best IEM in that price range (~$150) IMO

@ eclipes: Is that even possible lol? I thought the UM3X had a pretty bloated mid-bass until I got accustomed to it... I don't know how the UM2 would have more, but then again I've never tried it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 20
Hmmm... I'm considering a pair of Ultimate Ears 4 Pro instead. Would they fit my needs at all, or are they more of a balanced and natural sounding (in my opinion boring) pair of IEMs with little bass and less life than the Beats, UM3X etc.?

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 20
haha I don't even know, from what I remember the bass was really heavy. It sounded good at first but I started getting headaches and needed to take breaks in between. Okay, I don't know what I was listening to tho and it was a few years back so it might not be as bad as I think it was.

Quote:
The Beats lose to every suggestion thus far. And if you want incredible bass, go for the FX700. If you don't want to pay so much, then I suggest getting the EX600 as it is the best IEM in that price range (~$150) IMO

@ eclipes: Is that even possible lol? I thought the UM3X had a pretty bloated mid-bass until I got accustomed to it... I don't know how the UM2 would have more, but then again I've never tried it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 20
For nice punchy bass Ortos e-Q5 are great. This are not made for bass heads since are not dynamic but bass is punchy and sweet.
It has great over presentation for under 250 highly recommended
a nice review here

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 20
You guys will think I am crazy for suggesting this but.. These. monoprice 8322.   You can buy them at the very steep price of $7.11.. They actually kick all sorts of ass...I know funny but true..

Better than the Sony XB41EX in clarity and detail with almost the same amount of bass which is astonishing..

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 20
The Sennheiser IE8 offers everything you are looking for in IEMs and they are amazing with these genres music. They comes with bass knob to increase it to maximum and they has punchy bass with very expensive soundstage(out of head).

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 20
anyone have first hand comparisons on Monster Turbine Pro Gold vs a JVC FX700? I'm looking for an upgrade to my MTPG's, something on another level... the gold's are great, esp in the bass department, but it is a tad flabby and muddy- although still sounds decent across the board

would the fx700 be a decent upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back