Bakoon japan launch 1st portable headphone amplifier HDA 5520
Jul 20, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #76 of 85
Om Rudi, from TH900, LCD X, LCD XC and LCD 3F, which one is you prefer the most to pair with Bakoon portable amp? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #80 of 85
I played with this at the Spring May Fujiya show. I tried with my TG!334 and with their Fostex T50RP and I have to admit, I still don't know how to appreciate it in current mode. I preferred voltage mode instead (which meant open game to other normal amps). Talking to my fellow Tokyo Head-Fi members, current mode is much more suited for hard-to-drive cans like the HD800, etc. but I couldn't exactly borrow one from one exhibit just to bring it to the Bakoon exhibit.

So assuming the HDA-5520 isn't too far off from the HPA-21, I'm particularly curious on why members have reported of how the HPA-21 (presumably in current mode) would be suitable for the Fostex TH-900.

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #81 of 85
Actually I found the same thing, I have tried some FitEar models and all of them sound better in voltage output.

But for TH900, PM-1 and some other planar headphones (some Audeze and Hifiman), the current output is better. It feels fuller and have better control.

I don't know, perhaps there are technically matching like impedance matching or whatsoever.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #82 of 85
For having tried the Audeze and Hifiman planars on the Bakoon I assumed the current output would be best for the PM-1 and that what I listened to since getting the Oppo. But to my surprise, I decided recently to try them out of the voltage output and I clearly prefer it with the Oppo, slightly more dynamic and detailed with better treble.
For me, TH900 + Bakoon is where the road end. There is just nothing left beyond that- I was lucky to play with the Orpheus and I have heard the Blue Hawai amps with Stax flagships numerous time.
I could easily be as happy with the LCD3 but price and comfort mean it is out of the game.

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #84 of 85
Rudi only tried them with Sony CD900ST and you could also ask your question here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/headfi.org/permalink/10153326422259736/

Rush mini meet with my friend Gerald from Singapore and Robby Winindo from Jakarta

They want try my Mass Ko Bo 404 and some iems from my collection

Iems :
JVC HA FX 1100
Ocharaku Kaede 2
Dita Gold trrs edition latest batch
Fit Ear 334 To Go

Headphone :
Sony CD 900 ST Studio Monitoring

Daps :
AK 240 ss
Sony D 100

Amps :
Bakoon HDA 5520
Mass Ko Bo 404

Cable :
IC Crystal Cable Standard Diamond
Wagnus Ice Swords
Wagnus Diamond Dust Anaclassis

Gerald impression :
He like Mass Kobo 404 than Bakoon HDA 5520

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #85 of 85
If I may resurrect (or "necro thread," as the kids say) a post from 2015, old time Bakoon users may be interested to know that the legendary HDA-5520 now has a sequel: HDA-5520MK2, details of which can be found here. I myself am receiving a unit next week, which I'll compare with the already formidable HDA-5230, but some of the Korean Bakoon community, such as @KKNAYANA have received their units already.

Since this thread is as old as the hills, I'll update impressions here.

IMG_0800.jpeg

Photo via here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back