Bakoon HDA-5210MK4 (and related Bakoon Products/Satri Circuit Laboratory news)
Apr 8, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #106 of 143
For those interested, a review of Bakoon DAC-9740 has come out in South Korea. The discussion of the 9740 is introduced via a discussion of painting and perception; fitting for Bakoon though not everyone's cup of tea. In any case, the review certainly resonates with my experience.

Review here.

Inwangjesaekdo-2-1024x576.jpg

///

In addition, for anyone (probably only me) wanting to dive deep into the Bakoon rabbit hole, Bakoon Mania runs a forum type of space with an abundance of information and news here. Some of the translation is a bit glitchy, but you'll get the idea.

I'm starting to agree with this post more and more.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #109 of 143
Bakoon Friends, sorry again for the delay. Basically, I had to send my HDA-5210MK4 back to Japan as it developed a fault (channel imbalance and some kind of motherboard issue). A new unit is on its way back to me and I will report back with a full post soon. In addition, I also ordered the Bakoon CAP-1005 with the Bakoon FIL-3102 for a trans-portable set-up to be paired with HDA-5230. I will offer impressions on this soon.

In the meantime, some broad thoughts:

- Having now heard the Bakoon circuit in its Satri entirety, it is clear to me what kind of vision Akira Nagai is striving for. I would describe it as something like high-definition analog sounding without any digital artefacts or glare. In a sense, you can tell Akira Nagai has a great veneration for the audio reproduction from the past, but is attempting to translate this to a contemporary context with modern standards (my sense is that Bakoon operates in its own eco-system unaware and perhaps uninterested in other brands, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing at all).

- While the 5210MK4 has been away, I've been pairing the DAC 9740 with either Bakoon-5230 or a recently acquired Phatlab Phantasy II. As I hear it, the 9740 sounds very much like an R2R source, and I think anyone who cares for R2R sounding sources will greatly appreciate the 9740. When I first received it, I thought it sounded a tad soft and smooth. I think this was due to (i) I am basically very accustomed to Chord's house tuning; (ii) the need for some burn-in on the 9740; and (iii) I would finally add that the 9740 is very sensitive to interconnects and power cords. On the last points, I can say now that the 9740 is a very dynamic sounding DAC which is faithful to the music but without any glare or harshness. I do think it has opened up with use and I also think power cords are worth attending to. I am now using Crystal Cable Micro Diamond power cables which no doubt help with dynamics and transients. I'd also say, the 9740 pairs very well with each amp I've connected it to. (BTW: as a testament to how much the Bakoon DAC tuning has charmed me, my Hugo2Go is now on classifieds....)

- On voltage vs Satri connection on 5210MK4 and 9740, sadly the 5210MK4 developed a fault before full test. But in short -the difference was not night and day. Satri has a blacker background, a slightly smoother presentation, but with more precision. It was also difficult to do a direct A/B between these modes, as Satri output seems to be a few DB quieter than voltage, so adjustment on the amp was necessary. More on this soon.

- On the Bakoon-5230, I have to say this little amp has really impressed me on all levels. If you want the 5210MK4 on the go, this amp doesn't disappoint. It has all the richness, punch, and holographic presentation of the 5210MK4 albeit on a smaller audio scale. Build is remarkably good as is battery life - at least 10 hours on a single charge and it takes only 2 hours to charge. Of course, pairs beautifully with planar headphones, with dynamic headphones it's more picky. I'm sure HD800s would be stellar, as it can drive 600ohm DT990 with ease and sounds phenomenally good.

- Finally, I want to recommend Moonsoo Park from Bakoon Mania. If you are going to buy a Bakoon product, personally I would go via Bakoon Mania. I'm not going to make comparisons with other sellers and distributors (and please note I have not ordered direct from Bakoon themselves), only to say Moonsoo Park is excellent to deal with, friendly, highly knowledgeable, and very rapid in communication.

Hope this was helpful!
Thanks for the series of impressions and info, very helpful.

It's a bummer to know that your unit had to be sent back (but I am very glad that it has been repaired). Was it a QC issue? It is probably a long shot since there isn't a large Bakoon community here, but are you aware of other users having similar problems? I used to own an HDA-5520, but had to send it back to replace the volume knob.

I read in a later post that you have got hold of an HDA-5520MKII. Do you find it "loud"? I found my HDA-5520 a little too powerful, probably because I am used to low-volume listening. With my T1, 9 o'clock was already too loud, there was some channel imbalance when I went lower. I sent it back to Mr. Nagai to lower the gain, it was still too loud for some of the more sensitive headphones.

That said, I really miss the sound of my HDA-5520.

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #110 of 143

It's a bummer to know that your unit had to be sent back (but I am very glad that it has been repaired). Was it a QC issue? It is probably a long shot since there isn't a large Bakoon community here, but are you aware of other users having similar problems? I used to own an HDA-5520, but had to send it back to replace the volume knob.

I read in a later post that you have got hold of an HDA-5520MKII. Do you find it "loud"? I found my HDA-5520 a little too powerful, probably because I am used to low-volume listening. With my T1, 9 o'clock was already too loud, there was some channel imbalance when I went lower. I sent it back to Mr. Nagai to lower the gain, it was still too loud for some of the more sensitive headphones.

If I may jump in here :)

With the 5520MKII, which I currently have in front of me:
Pretty much every sensitive headphone, the volume knob is in 11-12 o'clock position and one channel opens up earlier. Same with other amps.
As for me, channel imbalance is pretty common with such volume knobs on lower volumes in general, especially with sensitive headphones cause of different resistance in lower volume.

Of course, it cannot be ruled out that there is an issue with the volume knob itself.
Which output VRMS do you got from your source? Got my DAC on 1V RMS actually and the digital volume from the streamer is only half.
It could be remedied to have more latitude in reducing the input signal.

But this is only my modest experience.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #111 of 143

Hi. The QC issue was not revealed to me, alas. But allow me to say, if you buy any Bakoon product from Bakoon Mania in Korea, you will be taken care of no matter what the issue. The service is excellent and genuinely caring. I'm not aware of any other issues myself, but Bakoon has a much bigger fanbase in Korea and Japan.

The output of the 5520MKII depends on the headphone/IEM used. It will loud depending on the specific pairing. There is a gain switch so that should provide greater control. But pairing on all Bakoon amps is critical - these are not amps one can just pair with anything and hope for the best.

If you want a simple but highly effective pairing next time, then try with HD600. For IEMs. For IEMs, single DD drivers work very well (IE900 is a marvel).

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #112 of 143
If I may jump in here :)

With the 5520MKII, which I currently have in front of me:
Pretty much every sensitive headphone, the volume knob is in 11-12 o'clock position and one channel opens up earlier. Same with other amps.
As for me, channel imbalance is pretty common with such volume knobs on lower volumes in general, especially with sensitive headphones cause of different resistance in lower volume.

Of course, it cannot be ruled out that there is an issue with the volume knob itself.
Which output VRMS do you got from your source? Got my DAC on 1V RMS actually and the digital volume from the streamer is only half.
It could be remedied to have more latitude in reducing the input signal.

But this is only my modest experience.
This is very helpful, thank you! My DACs had a maximum of 2.0 VRMS, but I lowered the DAC volume quite substantially when I used my HDA-5520. This came with the (possibly psychological) cost of getting less meat/body at a similar volume ...

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #113 of 143
Hi. The QC issue was not revealed to me, alas. But allow me to say, if you buy any Bakoon product from Bakoon Mania in Korea, you will be taken care of no matter what the issue. The service is excellent and genuinely caring. I'm not aware of any other issues myself, but Bakoon has a much bigger fanbase in Korea and Japan.

The output of the 5520MKII depends on the headphone/IEM used. It will loud depending on the specific pairing. There is a gain switch so that should provide greater control. But pairing on all Bakoon amps is critical - these are not amps one can just pair with anything and hope for the best.

If you want a simple but highly effective pairing next time, then try with HD600. For IEMs. For IEMs, single DD drivers work very well (IE900 is a marvel).
Thanks for the reply and the rec!

My go-to headphone has been HD600, and unfortunately I never managed to find a sweet spot with respect to volume when paired with my HDA-5520.

I am actually (pleasantly) surprised that you are pairing the HDA-5520MKII with IEMs. Do you adjust the volume of your DACs?

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #114 of 143
Thanks for the reply and the rec!

My go-to headphone has been HD600, and unfortunately I never managed to find a sweet spot with respect to volume when paired with my HDA-5520.

I am actually (pleasantly) surprised that you are pairing the HDA-5520MKII with IEMs. Do you adjust the volume of your DACs?
That's strange - I find the 5520MKII has massive amounts of power for the HD600 but no problem at all having control over the volume. All my sources are on 2V. Usually I'm at about 9/10am for comfortable listening with HD600/HD800. No channel balance issues.

Again, the output will vary very widely on a number of factors with Bakoon amps. With Kennerton's planar IEMs, I basically maxed out the output of the 5520MKII, but for IE900/IE600 it's perfect.

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #115 of 143
That's strange - I find the 5520MKII has massive amounts of power for the HD600 but no problem at all having control over the volume. All my sources are on 2V. Usually I'm at about 9/10am for comfortable listening with HD600/HD800. No channel balance issues.

Again, the output will vary very widely on a number of factors with Bakoon amps. With Kennerton's planar IEMs, I basically maxed out the output of the 5520MKII, but for IE900/IE600 it's perfect.
This is a rather subjective hobby after all!

I think this basically means that I should really, really demo before I go ahead. Let me see if I can find a show room next time I visit Japan!

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #117 of 143
Hi Guys,

What Closed Backs have you found best with the Bakoon Portable models ???? I have hd600 and Grado RS2x for open backs, but now looking for a decent closed back, probably will be used more than my open backs.
Most closed back planars should pair well, with the exception of DCA Stealth, which Bakoon cannot drive fully. IMO, Kennerton Rognir planar is by far the best pairing on portable and desktop. LDC-XC would be a good pairing, I think. I seem to remember DCA Noire was good but only on voltage... Bakoon is a picky amp, so requires some experimentation before the synergy works.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #119 of 143
Hi Guys,

What Closed Backs have you found best with the Bakoon Portable models ???? I have hd600 and Grado RS2x for open backs, but now looking for a decent closed back, probably will be used more than my open backs.
I use a XTC Closed Back version and it works well the Bakoon amp. Before that I used a Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40 JM Edition and Denon D7000 which all works really well with the Bakoon amp. But XTC Closed Back beat those two combined together and is currently my TOTL close back headphone.

Check out XTC if you hadn't experienced his headphone, reviewer compare his XTC to Focal Stellia for a much much cheaper price, and John can also tune the headphone to your liking!

https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/copy-of-new-inventory-xtc-closed-back

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #120 of 143
I listened to this amp at canjam and have to say I didn't really like it. Everything I listen through it sounded overly warm and fuzzy. I'm sure it's a matter of pairing and synergy but utopia 2022 was turned into a bloated bass canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back