Bakoon HDA-5210MK4 (and related Bakoon Products/Satri Circuit Laboratory news)
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #136 of 143
This is what arrived a few days ago (spoiler: and stays):

HDA-5520 MK2-CALDERA.jpg

And with the EMPYs and LCD-3s (and the satri, with holster):

HDA-5520 MK2-EMPY.jpg

HDA-5520-MK2-LCD-3.jpg

Both headphones transform —yes, just like that-with the HDA-5520 MK2. I don't think I've ever listened to the LCD-3 like I did today with the satri. Not even with the OOR have I achieved this level of satisfaction (with the LCD-3s)... which is not to say that the OOR is below the satri. The OOR certainly grunts more. But perhaps it's because of the magic of the satri circuit that the LCD-3s let loose like a charm, though without, of course, falling into shrillness. It's as if they have freed themselves from themselves. They don't sound like AUDEZE: there is clarity, a lot of clarity... even if the cream is still there. The SCL amp offers brutal transparency... and naturalness. Yes, I know: it's an almost impossible combination. But I don't know how best to describe it. It's not "musical", as the term is commonly understood in our little world. However, it engages. It is a cliché, but the satri disappears. In its place, the cruel purity of the notes. In any case, nothing to do with the cold sharpness of, say, the Topping. It is, in short, Japanese refinement. The HDA-5520 MK2 is a samurai: violent when necessary, precise cutting - there are no extra slashes - but also capable of tasting the most sublime haiku or of internalizing Zen aphorisms. It is like this. Now, as I write these notes, I am listening to an otherwise exquisite recording of Alec Frank-Gemmill -https://open.qobuz.com/album/fm57y6gav8eoa-... and I don't want to go to sleep. Tomorrow I think I'll go around with the sunglasses.

With the EMPYs... well, more of the same. It's very surprising. Very. It's not the usual EMPY..... They scale up to the point that the ELITE become "unnecessary".

Even if it is always about the set, I am more and more persuaded of the importance of the amplifier design, beyond the power, when it comes to see what a headphone can do.

By the way, I don't know why, but the satri works better -or so it seems to me- with the 1v output of the SE300. With the 2v output, fine... but I would say that the music gets strained a little bit. It's subtle. But after a few hours you notice it... without noticing it.

I have been eyeing a SCL for my Caldera as well. I'd be very interested if you shared your Caldera impressions off the current output!

I'd also welcome any opinions on the 5520mk2 vs. 5230mk2!

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #137 of 143
This is my old unit, which seems to be doing a tour of Europe. Glad you're enjoying!
Hahaha... this one won't be going around anymore, though...:wink:

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #138 of 143
I have been eyeing a SCL for my Caldera as well. I'd be very interested if you shared your Caldera impressions off the current output!

I'd also welcome any opinions on the 5520mk2 vs. 5230mk2!
The synergy with the CALDERA is very good. Very enjoyable. They don't sound as explosive as with OOR, for example, but it's close enough. The HDA-5520 MKII is very —very— transparent... and does not alter the flavor of the CALDERA at all.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #139 of 143
The synergy with the CALDERA is very good. Very enjoyable. They don't sound as explosive as with OOR, for example, but it's close enough. The HDA-5520 MKII is very —very— transparent... and does not alter the flavor of the CALDERA at all.
And what about Hedd?

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #140 of 143
Although I haven't done a critical listening of the HEDDs connected to the HDA-5520 mkII enough to do a review.... :wink:, I'm not sure it's the best combination. I would venture to say that it lacks the musicality or fluidity that I find with, for example, the CALDERA, among others. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #141 of 143
IMG_0919.jpeg

Well, well... The versatility of this SATRI is surprising (since, at first sight, it doesn't seem to give so much of itself).
During the last hours of the afternoon I've been playing with the voltage outputs of the SE300... after reading, albeit diagonally, a review by @GoldenSound about ENLEUM's AMP-23R, which, as it is known, are something like first cousins. In it, the mainstream reviewer said that the ENLEUM measures better with an input lower than the typical 2V. Or at least, I've stuck with this idea (since, as I said, I read it diagonally). In any case, "se non è vero è ben trovato".

During these days I have been listening with the 2V output of the SE300. And although I contrasted it briefly with the 1V one, giving me initially a very good impression, I ended up opting for the 2V one... as I was seduced by the feeling of power. Usually -or at least, this is what I would dare to say-, when you decrease the output voltage of the source, what you find with the "voltage" amplifiers is that the "volume" simply decreases.... That is, the differences in output voltage do not change —or not significantly— the sound profile of the amplifier.

However, another rooster sings with the SATRI. Today, with more calm, I have taken the time to compare the different voltage outputs of the SE300 (from 0.7V to 2V in unbalanced, four in total). And the conclusion is that the 1V/1.25V output results in a "humanized" SATRI, so to speak. The 2V one, obviously, is by no means a bad output. But the sound is thrown "in your face"... which is not necessarily to be understood as a defect (and in SATRI it is not). On the other hand, the 1V/1.25V one pushes it away a bit... becoming, even, more natural. Much more natural. I don't mean musical, in the worst sense of the word, but natural. The SATRI doesn't lose an iota of transparency, or power... even if you have to turn up the volume a step or two, in fact, the gain (and this is what's surprising: that you barely have to move the potentiometer).

So, you can't avoid the impression that with 2V the SATRI becomes livelier than usual, to the point of suspecting that, in contrast to the 1V/1.25V, it adds a distortion spike. In fact, with 1V/1.25V the black background of the SATRI becomes very black. Or this is, at least, my opinion. The voices and the instruments come out of nowhere... each one on his own without dissolving the coherence of the scene. Right now, I suspect that if I had to choose a single amp, I would choose, almost without hesitation, the SATRI. It's that good. Now, as I said in another post, though probably not in these words, she's not a like girl right off the bat. Despite her undeniable attractiveness. For, as Eliot wrote, we can hardly stand too much reality. But, given the chance, I'd rather bet on reality (and even more so if it is presented with euphonious fluidity... as is the case).

For about four hours or so, I have been listening with the HD800s —it is amazing the synergy between these headphones and the SATRI, to the point that, leaving aside the tubes, there is no need to look any further— and with the CHARYBDIS. I say this because the fit with the CHARYBDIS did not seem so convincing to me at first. However, things change - and quite a bit - with the 1V/1.25V output. God exists. And it's Mozart through the ERZETICH headphones. I don't want to go to bed. I've already put on my sunglasses..... :sunglasses:

best regards

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #142 of 143
I would like to buy a Bakoon HD-5210mk4 last year but unfortunately the price keeps increase a lot after years and no balanced amps. In the end I bought a Violectric V550. Beside now I want to build a system that is neutral to little warm than warm only. Bakoon is not great with international dealers around the world I think.

Another current driven headphone amp that has special synergy with Senn cans is Re-leaf. I would like to purchase one but unfortunately is only selling in Japan.

In addition I just bought an old but very good condition Sennheiser HD800. Oh my god it pairs well with Violectric that I do not need to mod the headphone but just replacing the ZMF Sennheiser HD800 earpads only. Comparing HD800 to HD650 like opening a windows to listen to music. Like hearing music in a small room (HD650) to an apartment (HD800), very impressive.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #143 of 143
Bakoon is not great with international dealers around the world I think.
This is true, indeed, sadly. I had put Elise Audio in the UK in contact with Bakoon, and I think for a while they had the 5210MK4 in stock. More here. But it would be great to see MusicTeck or something similar stock Bakoon/Satri Circuit Lab in the future. I think one problem is that, unlike Mass Kobo, Bakoon doesn't do CanJam. It seemed to me Mass Kobo had a massive surge of interest (rightfully so) after an earlier CanJam. Akira Nagai-san, the Bakoon/SCL mastermind, seems to have less interest in this sort of exposure for one reason or not.

In addition I just bought an old but very good condition Sennheiser HD800. Oh my god it pairs well with Violectric that I do not need to mod the headphone but just replacing the ZMF Sennheiser HD800 earpads only. Comparing HD800 to HD650 like opening a windows to listen to music. Like hearing music in a small room (HD650) to an apartment (HD800), very impressive.
Have been through a Vioelectric/Lake People phase myself recently. All very good amps - the latter especially amazing value for money. HD800s pairing indeed great. Bit more flexible than the Bakoon amps, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back