Bakoon HDA-5210MK4 (and related Bakoon Products/Satri Circuit Laboratory news)
Aug 26, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #121 of 143
I listened to this amp at canjam and have to say I didn't really like it. Everything I listen through it sounded overly warm and fuzzy. I'm sure it's a matter of pairing and synergy but utopia 2022 was turned into a bloated bass canon.
It's a very very picky amp. It's really designed for planars and only some dynamics, such HD800S and definitely not an all rounder. Bloated mess is one possible outcome.

Aug 26, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #122 of 143
From KKNAYANA's impression when paring with Focal Uptopia.

The next headphone I listened to was the Focal Utopia 2022. First of all, when I listened to it through voltage output, I was impressed by natural sound, spaciousness, and strong bass impact, and I could hear them loud enough at around 50-60% volume. When I switched to current output, the sound stage expanded as the volume decreased a little, but the bass became too overpowering and IMO didn't match well with the Utopia 2022.

I am still saving money to buy this amp for my Denon D9200, Sennheiser HD650 and future HD800 but you know life is expensive you need to spend money for other things.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #123 of 143
I have a friend who has the Utopia and It sounds horrible with the bakoon, I'm not an audio file guy at all, just love my music and really like my Bakoon/mojo2 combo.... I really liked the hd600, until Lee Duk Hwan made a suggestion I try the new Grado Rs2x, I actually demoed and liked the rs2x over the rx1x with the bakoon, so this is now my favourite open back with my portable setup....

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #124 of 143
I listened to this amp at canjam and have to say I didn't really like it. Everything I listen through it sounded overly warm and fuzzy. I'm sure it's a matter of pairing and synergy but utopia 2022 was turned into a bloated bass canon.
Yeah 2nd what @Nostoi said, it’s a picky amp for pairing. It transforms the HD800 and Denon D7000 (Fostex earlier version) to a new headphone and works very well with planar.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #125 of 143
Yeah 2nd what @Nostoi said, it’s a picky amp for pairing. It transforms the HD800 and Denon D7000 (Fostex earlier version) to a new headphone and works very well with planar.
Yeah I can imagine it working well with some bass light cans.

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #127 of 143
Would be interested in a comparison between the HPA-21 (which I own) and the HDA-5230. I'm looking for a rig that's easier to move around than the HPA-21 (e.g. to take with me on longer business trips w/ checked luggage) and was wondering if it would be a downgrade.
I understand this is a current only amp and that's fine as it works very well with the headphones I plan on using.

Speaking of, I really love the sound of the ZMF Atrium (both Open and Closed) on the current output of my HPA-21. I highly recommend people try it.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #128 of 143
Would be interested in a comparison between the HPA-21 (which I own) and the HDA-5230. I'm looking for a rig that's easier to move around than the HPA-21 (e.g. to take with me on longer business trips w/ checked luggage) and was wondering if it would be a downgrade.
I understand this is a current only amp and that's fine as it works very well with the headphones I plan on using.

Speaking of, I really love the sound of the ZMF Atrium (both Open and Closed) on the current output of my HPA-21. I highly recommend people try it.
Compare the 5230 to the HPA01, the smaller sibling of your HPA 21, I would say 5230 is a slight downgrade in terms of soundstage and technicality from HPA01. Its not night and day but definitely noticeable. But 5230 still drove my Diana Phi and HD800 well though.

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #131 of 143
This is what arrived a few days ago (spoiler: and stays):

HDA-5520 MK2-CALDERA.jpg

And with the EMPYs and LCD-3s (and the satri, with holster):

HDA-5520 MK2-EMPY.jpg

HDA-5520-MK2-LCD-3.jpg

Both headphones transform —yes, just like that-with the HDA-5520 MK2. I don't think I've ever listened to the LCD-3 like I did today with the satri. Not even with the OOR have I achieved this level of satisfaction (with the LCD-3s)... which is not to say that the OOR is below the satri. The OOR certainly grunts more. But perhaps it's because of the magic of the satri circuit that the LCD-3s let loose like a charm, though without, of course, falling into shrillness. It's as if they have freed themselves from themselves. They don't sound like AUDEZE: there is clarity, a lot of clarity... even if the cream is still there. The SCL amp offers brutal transparency... and naturalness. Yes, I know: it's an almost impossible combination. But I don't know how best to describe it. It's not "musical", as the term is commonly understood in our little world. However, it engages. It is a cliché, but the satri disappears. In its place, the cruel purity of the notes. In any case, nothing to do with the cold sharpness of, say, the Topping. It is, in short, Japanese refinement. The HDA-5520 MK2 is a samurai: violent when necessary, precise cutting - there are no extra slashes - but also capable of tasting the most sublime haiku or of internalizing Zen aphorisms. It is like this. Now, as I write these notes, I am listening to an otherwise exquisite recording of Alec Frank-Gemmill -https://open.qobuz.com/album/fm57y6gav8eoa-... and I don't want to go to sleep. Tomorrow I think I'll go around with the sunglasses.

With the EMPYs... well, more of the same. It's very surprising. Very. It's not the usual EMPY..... They scale up to the point that the ELITE become "unnecessary".

Even if it is always about the set, I am more and more persuaded of the importance of the amplifier design, beyond the power, when it comes to see what a headphone can do.

By the way, I don't know why, but the satri works better -or so it seems to me- with the 1v output of the SE300. With the 2v output, fine... but I would say that the music gets strained a little bit. It's subtle. But after a few hours you notice it... without noticing it.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #132 of 143

Both headphones transform —yes, just like that-with the HDA-5520 MK2. I don't think I've ever listened to the LCD-3 like I did today with the satri. Not even with the OOR have I achieved this level of satisfaction (with the LCD-3s)... which is not to say that the OOR is below the satri. The OOR certainly grunts more. But perhaps it's because of the magic of the satri circuit that the LCD-3s let loose like a charm, though without, of course, falling into shrillness. It's as if they have freed themselves from themselves. They don't sound like AUDEZE: there is clarity, a lot of clarity... even if the cream is still there. The SCL amp offers brutal transparency... and naturalness. Yes, I know: it's an almost impossible combination. But I don't know how best to describe it. It's not "musical", as the term is commonly understood in our little world. However, it engages. It is a cliché, but the satri disappears. In its place, the cruel purity of the notes. In any case, nothing to do with the cold sharpness of, say, the Topping. It is, in short, Japanese refinement. The HDA-5520 MK2 is a samurai: violent when necessary, precise cutting - there are no extra slashes - but also capable of tasting the most sublime haiku or of internalizing Zen aphorisms. It is like this. Now, as I write these notes, I am listening to an otherwise exquisite recording of Alec Frank-Gemmill -https://open.qobuz.com/album/fm57y6gav8eoa-... and I don't want to go to sleep. Tomorrow I think I'll go around with the sunglasses.

With the EMPYs... well, more of the same. It's very surprising. Very. It's not the usual EMPY..... They scale up to the point that the ELITE become "unnecessary".

Even if it is always about the set, I am more and more persuaded of the importance of the amplifier design, beyond the power, when it comes to see what a headphone can do.

By the way, I don't know why, but the satri works better -or so it seems to me- with the 1v output of the SE300. With the 2v output, fine... but I would say that the music gets strained a little bit. It's subtle. But after a few hours you notice it... without noticing it.
Neat!
What’s the battery life like with various headphones?

I’m surprised the specs say only 15mW output and the description says it’s 10x higher than the predecessor?

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #133 of 143

HDA-5520 MK2-CALDERA.jpg

HDA-5520 MK2-EMPY.jpg

HDA-5520-MK2-LCD-3.jpg

This is my old unit, which seems to be doing a tour of Europe. Glad you're enjoying!

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #134 of 143
Neat!

I’m surprised the specs say only 15mW output and the description says it’s 10x higher than the predecessor?
Battery life is stupidly good - like 50-60 hours. But note, it uses 12 AA batteries!

The one you linked to is modded with a lithium battery. Specs are a typo - I seem to recall current output is around 500mw (though current functions differently so specs such as these tell you nothing).

More here https://smartstore.naver.com/bakoon/products/8268351363

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #135 of 143
Neat!

Typically about 30h with the gain switch on.... before it starts to distort (there is no other indicator than this). It is amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back