bad k701?
Jan 17, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok when i put the headphones on the way they feel they were meant to the termination is on the left but the markings are opposite. overall the build quality seems decent with some very slight scuffings on the white plastic by the driver housing. i havent done any channel testing, im looking for a song to reference from right now. the pads are removable and it came with the stand. the stand feels like a light plastic with some kind of foam padding inside. im gonna try getting my brother's digital camera to take some pictures.

Everything sounds right, apart from the termination and the scuffings, which are unacceptable on a new item. When you removed the pads, was there a black, circular piece of foam in the middle? Is the headband mechanism well constructed? How does the leather headband feel? Does it smell like leather?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Advice for procedure:

Do call AKG and be upfront you are inquiring about the procedure for identifying and reporting what at this point you suspect is a forged 701 product with their name afixed to it!

They have people who know people who will protect us all from this happening time and time again until it is STOPED.

Please do not accept a restocking fee or even an even trade less postage even.

This must be stopped!

There is a routine procedure to be followed here!

Best regards,

x2

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #17 of 58
Are you able to post a photo of these?

I also encourage you to contact AKG, at least to make them aware of the situation.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 58
yea the circular pad was there. the drivers are wired correctly, all my reference songs where music plays through one ear it was correct. and they sound astoundingly better than my previous sonys. but if these arent made by akg then i dont want them. gahh, i just took the pictures and im trying to get them on my computer...

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 58
I got my last pair of K701 from Northern Sound and Light for $244 new.

They get them from AKG in Austria.

No problems at a dirt cheap price.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my last pair of K701 from Northern Sound and Light for $244 new.

They get them from AKG in Austria.

No problems at a dirt cheap price.

i was originally going to buy them from them but their out of stock for a few weeks. me being the impatient kind gets screwed over in this situation.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 58
Everything it came with is correct. For channel testing, I just play a tune with my computer and use the sound control panel and swing it left and right. That's just to make sure everything is wired correctly.

And x3 for me. Do call AKG to make sure they are real. Even if they fit and sound "good", it wouldn't be worth ~$250 for a fake.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #22 of 58
alright here are some pics, i know these are huge, if its a problem then ill change it to only include the links or resize them eventually.

this one you can see the cable terminates where its denoted as the right driver.

CIMG0003.jpg

and this one is the whole setup with the stand
CIMG0005.jpg

also the headband doesnt have any sent to it at all. i was expecting it to smell like leather but it doesnt. im gonna try getting a couple more pictures with the serial number and the akg logo on the headband, along with that other little symbol thats up there.

*edit* here are the links to the pics of the headband...
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...CIMG0003-1.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/CIMG0004.jpg

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 58
It looks real. I've never heard of fake K701's before, nor do I think anyone makes it. Maybe they just put the sticker for the "L" and "R" wrong. But besides that, everything looks fine.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #24 of 58
It might be the angle, but something about those pads looks... fishy. They appear far thicker than mine, anyway...

Everything else looks fine, other than the obvious - the L and R "buttons" are reversed.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 58
thanks im really praying that its just bad luck because if its only the L and R being reversed i could care less. im still waiting for a response from akg to help determine if its real.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #27 of 58
yea i agree. does anyone know if the k701s are manufactured by hand? cause if so then i can completely see the mistake of placing the wrong L and R's. but the combination of that along with the fishy serial number makes it hard to go against logic.

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea i agree. does anyone know if the k701s are manufactured by hand? cause if so then i can completely see the mistake of placing the wrong L and R's. but the combination of that along with the fishy serial number makes it hard to go against logic.

The K701 is hand assembled and tested, yes.

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be the angle, but something about those pads looks... fishy. They appear far thicker than mine, anyway...

Everything else looks fine, other than the obvious - the L and R "buttons" are reversed.

Pads do definitely look thicker than norm. Here are pictures of my K701 (sold already):
p10009221024x768dg1.jpg

p10009171024x768kt8.jpg

p10009121024x768bh4.jpg

p10009091024x768vk8.jpg

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #30 of 58
My K701's cable is on the L channel; thicker side of the velour cups rests behind the ears; S/N is 4-digit and the left side. I suppose AKG switched the parts (L-R) on yours. Either that or the Chinese have gotten a fake AKG plant humming somewhere.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back