Bad experience with Grado....
Dec 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #106 of 115
Grado can do no wrong in a world of outrageous high-end marketing and snake oil.  It only takes one listening session of a thoroughly broken in pair of SR60's to understand the outstanding value of this manufacturer.  It makes my blood boil to read reviews of $4000 ac line cables etc. and the terminoligy used by the shills of the audio press.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #108 of 115

I think you should update your first post to indicate the resolution, so new people that are searching will get the full story without reading the whole thread.
Quote:
UPDATE:

[size=10pt]I received my new RS1i's today via FedEx and they are absolutely perfect! [/size]
[size=10pt]Now I shall spend the next three days listening to them. Mr. Chen came through as promised and I will have to say that if anyone has an issue with Grado in the future that they should contact him.[/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks' to all who supported me on this site.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #109 of 115

Quote:
I think you should update your first post to indicate the resolution, so new people that are searching will get the full story without reading the whole thread.
Quote:
UPDATE:

[size=10pt]I received my new RS1i's today via FedEx and they are absolutely perfect! [/size]
[size=10pt]Now I shall spend the next three days listening to them. Mr. Chen came through as promised and I will have to say that if anyone has an issue with Grado in the future that they should contact him.[/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks' to all who supported me on this site.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

Good idea....
I will do that now.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #110 of 115
To those who are wondering if this particular debacle is typical of Grado, let me just offer my own experience.  I've owned the following Grado headphones:

2 iGrados
At least two SR60s and at least two SR60i's
At least two SR80s and one SR80i
At least two SR225s and at least one SR225i
One SR325i and one SR325is
RS1
GS1000
Two HF2s
PS1000

All of my Grados have been structurally sound.  With the exception of the GS1000 and PS1000, which use circumaural pads, all of my Grados have induced a physical ear fatigue after long use, fatigue which was fixed by taking a short break to do something beside listening to music all day long.  I come from a generation where supraaurals were commonplace and whining about bent ears was like complaining that your feet get tired after hours of hiking.

My only complaints about cosmetics are that the wood and aluminum Grados are nickable, often when you least expect it.  The nicer the headphone, the more heartbreaking it is to find a small scratch or two.  My PS1000s may have come with some extremely tiny nicks, which aluminum is prone to, but I liked them too much to send them back to Grado with a magnifying glass.

I've had several aluminum Grados detach where the metal rod of the gimbal anchors into the ring.  In both cases, a drop of Super Glue fixed the problem permanently.

I've had several aluminum Grados become annoyingly loose on the rod due to some failure of the bushings to sustain a more effective clamping of all that weight.  Aluminum cups are heavier and the standard bushings don't seem to take that into account.  There are various ways to fix this, but I never saw it as a major grievance against Grado.

I've heard people complain that the headband isn't more substantial.  I never really cared.  I don't buy headphones for the headband.

My experience with Grados is that they are first-rate headphones.  They are deceptively easy to play right off an iPod.  I say "deceptively" because unamped Grados are but a shadow of the same headphone run off a proper amp.  There are rival cans that suck so bad unamped that everybody knows to amp them first.  Grados are so easy to run that you can think you know what you have - that is, until you actually hear it run through a proper amp.  The difference can be like night and day - especially with the bigger models.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #111 of 115
Hello, I'm a pretty new member, but long-time Head-Fi fan. 

I've owned MS-1i for a few months and have been considering upgrading up the Grado chain (including possibly RS1i), so I read this thread with some interest.  FWIW, found it kind of interesting/amusing that the great looking RS1s shown above are now for sale in amp section (and on Ebay).

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #112 of 115

Quote:
Hello, I'm a pretty new member, but long-time Head-Fi fan. 

I've owned MS-1i for a few months and have been considering upgrading up the Grado chain (including possibly RS1i), so I read this thread with some interest.  FWIW, found it kind of interesting/amusing that the great looking RS1s shown above are now for sale in amp section (and on Ebay).

its called buyers remorse. I know all about it.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #113 of 115
I called grado the other morning to query about a new gimble ring because on of hem broke on my SR60. I had a pleasant conversation with the gentleman on the phone, he took my address and told me he would get one out to me straight away; and that they did, arrived this morning. No muss, no fuss, no charge. Kudos to Grado for taking care of me.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #114 of 115

Quote:
I called grado the other morning to query about a new gimble ring because on of hem broke on my SR60. I had a pleasant conversation with the gentleman on the phone, he took my address and told me he would get one out to me straight away; and that they did, arrived this morning. No muss, no fuss, no charge. Kudos to Grado for taking care of me.

You were talking to John, weren't you? :)

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #115 of 115

Quote:
Quote:

You were talking to John, weren't you? :)

Could have been, didnt really get the guys name. It was very early like 8:15 AM. I explained my problem he took my name and address and said he'd get it right out. I was like do I owe you anything (I'm thinking in my head cost of the ring shipping charges) and he says  $45...and I'm thinking in my head again (what are you freaking nuts) but what I say is...seriously?

The guy chuckles and says thinking in his head probably (what a rube). So it could have been John or it could have been Sal that works back in the shop. I got me a gimble ring though and I didnt have one before the call, Thanks Grado
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back