Bad experience with Grado....
Dec 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #91 of 115
The problem, as I see it, is twofold - 

1. mud sticks
2. we have a set of kiddies on HF who enjoy repeating someone else's tale as 'accepted wisdom' : this is a big part of FOTM mania and a depressing part of kneejerk reactions, as seen in this thread.

If you want to bag Grado, at least be prepared to do it after having owned several pair, not on the basis of something you read elsewhere. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #92 of 115
Great news for the OP.  Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  :)

Ultrasone: yes, I'm aware of the other thread, but I want to see if their "normal machinery" takes care of my problem 1st, or if I have to play the "Head Fi card".  :)

And maybe this incident will prompt Grado and/or Audio Advisor to take a look at their own systems too.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #93 of 115

Quote:

Quote:
And about 100% of the Sennheiser HD650 headbands will crack over time, as with the Shure SE530 cables (initial year's production). I've owned the following Grados WITH ZERO issues:

SR60
SR125i
SR225i
SR325is
RS-1
RS-1i (still own)

Many of my Head-fi friends who happen to own Grados have had ZERO issues as well. That's not to say that everything is perfect, but these are hand made headphones and slight imperfections go with the territory....with their retro look, some consider it character. Now the photo the OP showed is NOT acceptable IMO and he should have been given a replacement pair after dropping $700. His customer service was disappointing to say the least.

Your data is anecdotal at best. Don't forget, Head-fi likely makes up a small percentage of Grado's total sales worldwide. They've been in business for a long time and that does not happen by chance.

the hd650 headband crack overtime but NOT the first time when you recieved them...while grado the headphone arrives in awful condition

Exactly, the Grado issues are covered under warranty when their cosmetic issues are right out of the box. The cracked headband on the HD650s usually happen after the warranty has expired. I'll rather have the one that's covered under the warranty repair.
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #94 of 115

Quote:

[size=10pt][size=10pt]UPDATE:[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Mr. Chen from Grago Labs contacted Audio Advisor (my place of purchase).  This morning I received a phone call from Audio Advisor stating that they are shipping me a new pair of RS1i's even before I have sent them in my defective pair.....WOW(and they are sending me a return label)  That is a first for me. I have been a good customer of Audio Advisor and have spent a decent amount of money with them in the last month.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I should get the new RS1i's at the beginning of next week and will let everyone know how things turned out.[/size][/size]

Glad to hear and kudos for Grado for stepping up and taking care of one of their customers!

I (a long time Grado customer and fan) do feel quite relieved to read this.
smile.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #95 of 115
The bad part is...Grado build quality is a bit lacking. My 325's that are two weeks old have already failed. The left cup will not stay adjusted...it slides freely so when they are on my head I am constantly having to fiddle with them. Is that something that should be expected out of a pair of $300 headphones? If those headphones are Grado, then yeah, it is to be expected. I could take them back to my dealer or send them in under warranty but in all likelihood I'll get another pair and it will just happen again. I am opting to fix it myself. But the point is, I shouldn't have to. So I don't think that the little bit a heat that Grado received in this thread was unwarranted. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #96 of 115
Found this in a CNET review of the 225is:

Headphone buyers with concerns about long-term durability should appreciate Grado's service policies. The company will repair all of its full-size headphones, even models going back over 20 years. For example, Grado will repair any SR225 or SR225i headphones--bad drivers, broken cables, and so forth--for a flat fee of $40 (the fee for the SR60 or SR60i is $25). If you accidentally sit on the headphones and break the "C" bracket that holds the earcup in place, Grado will send you a new bracket for free (the new one snaps into place). In other words, SR225i owners can reasonably expect to get at least  out of their headphones.

I am not aware of another headphone company prepared to make such an undertaking - thrilled to hear otherwise. I admit that this does not include cosmetic damage, per the OPs issue, but it may help others. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #97 of 115
Dec 23, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #98 of 115

Quote:
Found this in a CNET review of the 225is:

Headphone buyers with concerns about long-term durability should appreciate Grado's service policies. The company will repair all of its full-size headphones, even models going back over 20 years. For example, Grado will repair any SR225 or SR225i headphones--bad drivers, broken cables, and so forth--for a flat fee of $40 (the fee for the SR60 or SR60i is $25). If you accidentally sit on the headphones and break the "C" bracket that holds the earcup in place, Grado will send you a new bracket for free (the new one snaps into place). In other words, SR225i owners can reasonably expect to get at least  out of their headphones.

I am not aware of another headphone company prepared to make such an undertaking - thrilled to hear otherwise. I admit that this does not include cosmetic damage, per the OPs issue, but it may help others. 

Koss does a lot better than that.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #99 of 115
UPDATE:

[size=10pt]I received my new RS1i's today via FedEx and they are absolutely perfect! [/size]
[size=10pt]Now I shall spend the next three days listening to them. Mr. Chen came through as promised and I will have to say that if anyone has an issue with Grado in the future that they should contact him.[/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks' to all who supported me on this site.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #102 of 115
Very nice. I bet he hand picked them too...lol...glad he came through for you. I think many of us have renewed faith in Grado and their customer service.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #105 of 115
Please let me know how it sounds with the GCHA. I may pick up one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back