Baby STAX SR-001 MK2 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #31 of 113
Same here, in that was my busted iPod (actually, my teenaged daughter's busted iPod), and I don't even recognize it with the new faceplate. Excellent, EFN. You are a true DIY master.

I sent her the link (she's a freshman in college), so she could see the results of your handiwork. She will be amazed.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #32 of 113
I thought I would add to this thread as I just today became the proud owners of the SR-001 Mk2's. I have been a fan of Stax for years but never could afford a pair. I am so happy with my Denon c-700's that the thought of another pair of headphones did not enter my head.

But today I popped into one of my local HIFI stores to kick the tires and chew the fat and the guy showed me that they had them on sale, A few minutes later I was out the door $199CAD lighter!

I am so excited to at last actually own a pair of Stax!

First thing was to put the smaller ear tips on and that improved bass and stage depth, early days yet as I know that they will take some burning in but right out of the box I love the sound!

I am still pinching myself that I own a pair of the esoteric Stax, it is a bit like buying your first Koetsu cartridge!

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #33 of 113
I have not been able to find any images of someone wearing the SR-001's... any help?

Also I was thinking about these for work, how loud are these for the people around you (using ETY's right now.. no one can hear anything)?

cheers,

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #34 of 113
UPDATE!
I have dreamed of owning a pair of Stax for at least 15 years. I used to be heavy into audiophile home systems but the nature of my life for the past ten years has meant I listen to music exclusively on portable CD players (in the past) and now an itouch.

I have ETY ER6i's, Denon C700's and now the Stax.

Up until now the Denon's were my Benchmarks. I love the way they sound and thought I was getting everything out of the singers performance..Until the Stax!

I let the Stax warm up for 20 minutes and put them on. Initial thoughts were underwhelming and then I changed the end pieces for the medium size and spent a few moments optimizing the fit..What a difference! There is bass first off, that suprised me, not bass to the depth of the Denon's but what there is is about as good as it gets! Well defined and so much texture.

Then on to the mid's. I put Shelby lynns supurbe album of covers of Dusty Springfields work and all I can say is the stax reveal every detail and at the same time make the performance feel real. There is texture, there is emotion, feeling. One just wants to sit for hours and listen!

I am finding new layers of information and feeling that I just did not hear with the other two headphones. These Stax give the performance so much emotion!

The treble is fine for me, I know some have reported it is rolled off a bit but if this is what rolled off treble is like then I am all for it!

Now, the best saved for last!

I have been loving Leonard Cohens live in London album, wonderful recording quality and the standard of musicianship is beyond reproach.

The recording is intimate and Leonards interactions with the audience feel like you are old friend invited around to his place for a personal performance!

I have loved every moment of this album but the Stax has taken it into the super league! In particular the track Susanne. One can hear Leonard's subtle movement back and forth from the microphone, the subtle intonations and inflections of his voice. It is like him singing right next to you.

The the sublime webb sisters (his words but I agree completely!) who back him on all of the tracks but in particular on if it be you will where they sing solo only accompanied by the Hammond B3. Those voices through the Stax sound like spun gold!

I listen to music ripped from my CD collection and burned lossless. These Stax have given me a new appreciation of the 2nd gen Itouch. It really is a very good player..If anyone knows of another player that sounds better please let me know as if there is I will buy it to complement these Stax.

In summary.

Sometimes when we have something that for so long we have lusted after, dreamed about and after reading countless positive reviews about we then get it and the shine rubs off very quickly. It is not as great as the reviews have said or the myth created.. Well, In my humble opinion The Stax are everything I have ever dreamed they would be. I can truly say my search for the perfect headphone (for me) is over!
atsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #35 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the SR-001 and mostly use it at my bedside, although I have been known to take it in the car with me because I can listen without any isolation and can hear normal traffic around me (like when listening to the radio through the speakers). I use the Audiocats SFC++ modded SR-001 so much at the beside that I have not turned on my Meier Headfive or Headroom Micro Amp in my bedside rig in months. I feed the iRiver H140 optical into the Micro DAC and then right into the SR-001. The small size of the headband and earpieces makes it easy to lie down wearing it.

The Audiocats modded version takes it to another level, with more bass and treble extension, but the stock one after 500 hours of burn-in was good enough to leave it alone. I kept the stock one as a spare, so if my modded one blew up I wouldn't be without one, or in case I were to send mine in a third time to get the AD825 opamp to replace my upgraded AD8599.

PS: I was getting over 6 hours on NiMH 1.5v rechargables stock, and 3 hours on 2 parallel 3.7v lithium in the modded one, and now my battery compartment is filled with caps and I have an external 6 lithium cell battery pack that should give 9 hours (haven't fully drained it yet).

11 months later nothing above has changed, and the Audiocats SFC++ modded SR-001 is still my primary bedside rig. Still very happy with it.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #36 of 113
Quote:

11 months later nothing above has changed, and the Audiocats SFC++ modded SR-001 is still my primary bedside rig. Still very happy with it.

That really is a testimony to the quality of the Stax. I am finding that I am back in that wonderful position of finding it really hard to stop listening! I am finding details that were simply not there with my old set up and all of this with the wonderful natural warmth that allows one to listen without fatigue!

I have noticed as well that my ears have now become accustomed to the shap of the ear tips, no pain at all! I can't wait to hear what they sound like after 500 hours!

One question, I read that it is not a good idea to leave the phones running without them in the ears, is this true as I usually press repeat and let my phones run whilst I am at work so as to speed up the burn in.

I certainly notice after about twenty minutes the sound comes on song
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #37 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianmedium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That really is a testimony to the quality of the Stax. I am finding that I am back in that wonderful position of finding it really hard to stop listening! I am finding details that were simply not there with my old set up and all of this with the wonderful natural warmth that allows one to listen without fatigue!

I have noticed as well that my ears have now become accustomed to the shap of the ear tips, no pain at all! I can't wait to hear what they sound like after 500 hours!

One question, I read that it is not a good idea to leave the phones running without them in the ears, is this true as I usually press repeat and let my phones run whilst I am at work so as to speed up the burn in.

I certainly notice after about twenty minutes the sound comes on song
L3000.gif

I don't think that is a problem, and if it is then I'm screwed.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #38 of 113
Quote:

I don't think that is a problem, and if it is then I'm screwed.

biggrin.gif
Thanks, I thought it did not make sense as the principal is the same as a pair of martin logans when one thinks about it!

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #39 of 113
just curious.... what about if I'm using normal 1.2v rechargable battery. Will it decrease the sq compare to alkaline 1.5v? and for the stock, how lon does the 1.2v 2000ma recargable battery will last?

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #40 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I was thinking about these for work, how loud are these for the people around you (using ETY's right now.. no one can hear anything)?

Mikeymad: I used the SR-003 (same phone) for a couple of months in an open office with colleagues sitting 6 feet in every direction (no cubicles) and initially had the same concern; but that was the weirdest thing - none of them ever heard anything! I would pump the volume up until it hurt and go, "Surely you can hear that?!" and they'd be like, "Nope!"... and it's totally open! Isn't it?
confused.gif
Maybe it's to do with the tiny diaphragms - they don't need to move much air if they're in your ear canal I guess. As a caveat I should say that there is some noise from computers and HVAC and so on in my office... no more than usual though probably. They seem to me to be office-approved, although don't kill me if it doesn't work out
biggrin.gif

Now I've "upgraded" to the SR-007 - well, of course it is an upgrade but I have to listen to quiet music with no treble frequencies to avoid comments. So, here come the SR-4070s
evil_smiley.gif

I can't make this post, though, without pausing to just big up the SR-001II / SR-003 - this is an appreciation thread after all
o2smile.gif
- what everyone says about them is true, and they did their job handsomely of selling me on electrostats. Truly a gateway drug, and highly recommended to anyone considering them!
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #41 of 113
yea.... now I can rest for a while and really curious on how to optimize the sound i.e. from the dap to mini to mini interconnect which would be best synergy. Actually I'm really tempted to get one after reading EFN impression and suddently my friend have one for sale... grab it and now.... very happy with it. Of course still stock and I'm looking for modding it in the future.

Just really surprice that this baby stax really sensitive to interconnect changes.... the different of changing interconnect is significant and currently I love to use silver cryo copper mixed

Just curiosity... if you make a mistake of the polar (the plus and negative ) of the AC Adaptor that you buy... will it harm or just can't turn it on? and if it is available 4.5V but it is written about 2000ma in an AC DC adaptor, will it be ok for this since on the back it is only written 300MA if not mistaken

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #42 of 113
Cheers 'bear... These might work their way up my wish list.... (maybe to next in line)..

Still no pictures of them on/in a head..?? oh well..

Had a pair of 4070's for a while. I liked them.. They will give a little more isolation if you have not tried them, and will cut down on how much others can hear. They do give a much different presentation that the O2's...

Cheers,

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #43 of 113
This little thing is amazing. I just got one from last week, so there's still a long way to burn properly but I like the SQ already. Now, I got some questions for you gurus out there:
1. It's a bit soft? At the same volume on my iriver E30 my PX100 would've demolished my eardrums, but still low even at 12 o'clock? If I crank the volume it drains the battery.
confused.gif

ipod 5.5th gen + LOD solved it, it's loud enough with the amp at 10 o'clock.

2. Earpiece kept falling out on me so I gotta use the headband.. which was like a bloody clamp out of the box. I adjusted it to make the tips softly rest on my ear canals and it is much better now. Any tips to make it more comfortable?

I swapped tips from supermarket TDK IEMs, they're much better now.

3. Lastly, can I use a 5V DC 500mA power adapter on this?

Yes, but with a switchmode psu (from jaycar) it hums. Back to eneloops now.

EDIT: answered my own questions

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #44 of 113
The SR-001 has been for the money, the most pleasing rig I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I find myself simply sitting back with a sigh....and thinking....."this is what I was looking for." Stranger still I might be the only person who not only has no comfort issues with the tips, but IMO are THE most comfortable cans I've used. I don't use the headband. I guess my ear canal was by chance the perfect fit. It's like I'm not wearing anything at all; with this in mind IMO the bass with these is simply superb. Extension with just the right amount of slam. I'm back to simply enjoying music again....nuff said.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #45 of 113
While my EM3pro's were being manufactured, I also sent to earsonics my sr-001mk2's. They were interested in experimenting with the possibility of making custom eartips for them.

Sadly, after looking at them, they told me it was not going to be possible
frown.gif
bummer!
I think it cannot be to difficult, next I will try ACS, Im not giving up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back