Baby STAX SR-001 MK2 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #16 of 113
Alright guys, there are some interesting news. I wanted to try something different from the usual silicon. I have at hand lots of UE foam tips, which have an nice opening (large plastic ends before the whole opening, giving only foam to play with). I easily fitted the foam tips to the SR-003, used some tape (everything is reversible and takes two minutes to make or remove) to fix them to the SR-003 nozzle.
As to results:
-I am still trying to get the sound: the seal improvement adds more bass for sure. The roll off looks less severe too. Treble is still soft. I am not sure it's less than before, probably the same. So the improvements in sonics aren't night and day, and if they are there, I need more listening time to realize what's going on. Microdetails are still excellent, I guess like before. Treble is too soft, though.
-on the good, this "mod" highly reduces the chances that the SR-003 squeak. Comfort is pretty much the same as before, with lots of pressure towards the entrance of the ear canal, just like with silicon tips, but now it's foam pushing towards your ears.

I guess the results can be encouraging, but I am not satisfied yet. Next step will be to try Comply tips,maybe after replacing the tips tube. I might have some long complys, and those could potentially give the best outcome.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #17 of 113
I recalled Audiocats trying out a Canalphone tips so today I did an experiment of my own. I purchased the original Sony Fontopia tips and adapt them to fit the SR-001 muzzle.

My problem with the stock STAX tips was that they are biting my ear canals and a huge discomfort for prolonged use. The Sony tips are much more comfortable. Sonically they are similar to STAX tips which is good. Sony offers the softest tips available compared to Panasonic and Phillips.

STAXTips.jpg

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recalled Audiocats trying out a Canalphone tips so today I did an experiment of my own. I purchased the original Sony Fontopia tips and adapt them to fit the SR-001 muzzle.

My problem with the stock STAX tips was that they are biting my ear canals and a huge discomfort for prolonged use. The Sony tips are much more comfortable. Sonically they are similar to STAX tips which is good. Sony offers the softest tips available compared to Panasonic and Phillips.

STAXTips.jpg

Did you have to cut out the center section?

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 113
The triple-flange Etymotic tips I bought on eBay are a no-go. The seller supplied adapters to allow them to fit Fontopia phones, but he made them small for a tight fit: not what I need at all. They don't begin to fit the baby Stax. Even with the best fit I could manage, I can only barely hear the audio. Not a success. I'll stick with the Sony tips for now.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may consider sending my spare SR-001 drivers to HearYourSelf.com for them to try and fabricate a custom mold. Just need to get my impressions done again and I am waaay too lazy to visit the Audiologist.

Soft customs tips or partial acrylic shell, or what?

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #24 of 113
It's hard to believe that I have actually "sidelined" my ol ER-4S rig for more than 5 days now. The AudioCats/Self mod STAX SRM-001 system is simply stellar sounding - and that just partially burned-in. Even my AKGK701 is having hard time keeping up with them. The dynamic vibrance, imaging, soundstaging, texture and speed offered by the SRM-001 is in a class of its own.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 113
This is a copy of the same pics posted at the Portable Audio section.....but more pics.

Finally ready to make a public appearance, this is my primary rig now for over two weeks, been hiding in the shadows until today....

How is it....well take ER-4S and K701 and mix some ganja into them....you get the idea
evil_smiley.gif

SRM-001ModdedCompleteRig02.jpg

SRM-001ModdedCompleteRig01.jpg

SRM-001ModdedCompleteRig03.jpg

SRM-001ModdedLODView.jpg

*iPod 5G DIY Modded + Elna SILMIC 1uF iMod LOD + STAX SRM-001 MK2 system*

SRM-001Modded.jpg

SRM-001ModdedInternals.jpg

SRM-001ModdedCased.jpg

Cheers

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #28 of 113
I have a love/hate relationship with the SR-001MK2 as well.
Really love the sound, especially considering its portable size. But sadly could not stand the wearing comfort.

A more comfortable model would be highly appreciated.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #29 of 113
lovely setup once again dude, if that was my unit i can barely recognize the unit (which is a good thing!)
wink.gif

that must sound blisful with the mods and imod in the mix.

you have me almost wanting to go with baby stax once more
ph34r.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lovely setup once again dude, if that was my unit i can barely recognize the unit (which is a good thing!)
wink.gif

that must sound blisful with the mods and imod in the mix.

you have me almost wanting to go with baby stax once more
ph34r.gif

LOL....but the PS-1000 is calling your name
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS:
Yep that was your unit. The sound is almost there. With so many caps replaced it will take time for them to settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back