B&W P7 vs NAD VISO HP50
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for the best closed over the ear headphones and I´ve narrowed it down to these contenders.

What are your opinions? Which one should have the title?

I know Tyll loves the NAD VISO HP50, so I´m the most interested in that one and the RoomFeel feature interests me ´cause I´m also a speaker / studio monitor guy, but you never know with headphones. I´ve been trying out some other headphones Tyll liked, like the UE9000/6000, but they were just awful (bloated bass and very dark/muffled treble). But then again with many other headphones I agree with Tyll´s reviews.

So please give me some valuable insight, since I can´t audition these anywhere. Would appreciate it! I like a neutral sound, like Stax SR-009. But I also like some bass, not over bloated, can be slightly more than the Stax, but fine also with the amount of Stax bass. I like more low bass (under 150Hz), not the muddy upper bass (150-300Hz). But I want clear and smooth mids and treble, not dark.

Couple things I should mention also. The Sennheiser Momentum bass amount is already too much bass for me. HD 650 bass amount is fine, but they are very muffled in treble. Also LCD-2 is too muffled. One contender is also the new LCD-XC, but it´s a bit out of my price range at the moment and I´m afraid it doesn´t have enough treble that is the "warm Audeze signature sound", but I don´t know if they have increased it for their new headphones. But I have the LCD-2 and I´ve tried the LCD-3 and they are just too dark for me.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 109
I'm looking for a neutral closed headphone to compliment my more 'fun' closed sets as well. 

BTW, sorry you got a bum UE-6000...the bass on mine is very well controlled.  That said, seems like there's a bi-polar response to these cans -- especially with the bunch that were recently bought when they went on sale for less than $100.  Some of us are raving about ours and others have experienced the same thing you did.  Makes me wonder if there was a bad batch of them!  FWIW, I like them better than my VModa's and also the Momentums (which I also found a bit dark).

I'm currently looking at the AKG 550s, PSB M4Us, NAD HP50s, and Beyer DT660s. 

I've compared the AKGs and the PSBs and prefer the PSBs.  They seem to have a little better sub-bass and upper midrange. 

On paper, the HP50s look nice as well and I've also had good luck with Tyll's recommendations.  That said, the HP50s look like they might be a little subdued in the treble compared to the PSBs. 

The reason I'm including the DT660s in the mix is primarily due to the comments in this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard), they're kind of a bargain, and I've also got a few Beyers and like them.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 109
  I'm looking for a neutral closed headphone to compliment my more 'fun' closed sets as well. 

BTW, sorry you got a bum UE-6000...the bass on mine is very well controlled.  That said, seems like there's a bi-polar response to these cans -- especially with the bunch that were recently bought when they went on sale for less than $100.  Some of us are raving about ours and others have experienced the same thing you did.  Makes me wonder if there was a bad batch of them!  FWIW, I like them better than my VModa's and also the Momentums (which I also found a bit dark).

I'm currently looking at the AKG 550s, PSB M4Us, NAD HP50s, and Beyer DT660s. 

I've compared the AKGs and the PSBs and prefer the PSBs.  They seem to have a little better sub-bass and upper midrange. 

On paper, the HP50s look nice as well and I've also had good luck with Tyll's recommendations.  That said, the HP50s look like they might be a little subdued in the treble compared to the PSBs. 

The reason I'm including the DT660s in the mix is primarily due to the comments in this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard), they're kind of a bargain, and I've also got a few Beyers and like them.

Thanks for the reply!

I have the AKG 550 and they sound pretty good for the price, but the fit (and comfort) is annoying. So I´m looking for something better in comfort and portability and of course also in sound, which is the most important.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 109
Funny about the fit...I liked the AKGs better for fit than the PSBs.

Not sure any of these would be portable enough for me...hence the DT1350s and M80's in my collection.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 109
Hi,
I have auditioned the P7, Denon AH-D600 and HP50 twice, one hour each. So it not much.
I currently own Akg K550 and Beyer DT770 pro.

Me too was also intriqued by Tyle's recommendation and had hoped for that he would get his reviews of the P7, Kef M500 out, as well as some others. But it seems that sweepstakes take all the time ... 

My impression was that the P7 is are bass weighty head phones but still keep the mids and treble clear. The soundstage is very good and the impression is an open stage. But I also got the impression that the bass was a bit to thick and somewhat bloated. Details though are excellent. Female voices were at a few instances a little nasal otherwise a little fuller than the Denon AH-D600. With Dream Theater it was a beautiful experience. Classical - the violins sounded natural but not as natural as with the D600.

The D600 sounded invitingly open, "easy-going", the bass was definitely there but I did not sense that it was especially well defined, but it wounded really nice. Soundstage possibly bigger than the P7. easy to place the instruments and vocals out in the imaginary room. Vocies a little thinner, sometimes nasal, a little more so than the P7. Dream Theater a little congested but nothing sounded strenous. Violins sounded very airy but a little thin.

The HP50 was to me the winner overall. It had the special experience of keeping the audio picture together. The bass in P7 seems to exist apart from the rest of the music experience, similar to the D600. HP50 provided the experience of a sceen close to you front and nothing emanated outside it, so to say.  The bass was clearly coming from the "music arena".It was a "well defined" experience. I tried to get the vocals to sound nasal and trebly by increasing the  volume, but it never happened. The rest of the music parts just become stronger. The bass is very defined and the differnent tones are distuingishable, which are very rare for me to hear. The only head phones which could provide this to me in this price range I think, are the Beyer DT1350. I felt that the sound was without distorsion whatsoever, much like the Tesla experience in DT1350. Shurely the distorsion levels in P7 and the D600 are below unwanted levels, but the impression was very clear for the HP50. One thing too now though is that these are warm phones, in that they do color the midrange character. I found that violins sounded a bit "unairy", a bit artificial, too thick and dark. Possibly the treble is tuned down. Might be a decision point for you.

I was just to buy the HP50 when I strolled by a shop which sold the Beyerdynamic T70p for the same price! I could not resist so I bought them and am right now listening and comparing impressions. The less amount of bass in these phones are easily fixed with EQ. With this I think they sound fabulous! Out of mobile phones as well. But they grow much with better amping.

Well, these are my two cents. I saw you were asking for impressions.

Best Regards
Ivan

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 109
Thanks for the impressions headed. Very informative!

The Viso HP50 is starting to be even more interesting. I´m actually looking for a bit warmer sound, but maybe not so warm as the HD 650 and LCD-2.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 109
I also want to mention that there is a clear difference in sound when you use different amps. 
I use ODAC and O2 nowadays. Previously I used a FIIO E10, it was OK, but not really comparable at all.

Since I felt that lower impedance phones, like those we have discussed, didn't sound good at all with E10, I always use O2, since it handles all types of low impedance phones.
I don't know if you have heard how a pair of head phones sound with a big impedance swing in frequency, but if you have, you know what I mean, I think.

For instance, right now, I compared the E10 with O2 using the T70p phones. Night and day I would say. From underwhelming to overwhelming audio experience.
It's good to have this in remembrance when doing listening comparisons.

BR
Ivan

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 109
Just read that the P7 has some nasty upper mids spike and then rolls of quite early. Really don´t dig that sound. Of course I would need to hear it, but doesn´t sound too good.

The NAD VISO HP50 would seem like the champion. Any impressions?

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 109
I have been using the K545 and like their sound and comfort/fit. I have not heard the NAD yet but have compared the K545 to the B&O H6 and B&W P7 and found the K545 to be better than both for me. Take a look at the last page or so of posts in the K545 thread to see more detailed comments on the comparisons.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 109
Pretty much every comparison of the NADs and the P7s in these various threads ends up with the NADs eating the P7s for lunch. Are they really that much better? I should have ordered a pair to try out along with the P7s I bought. I only have a few more days to decide whether to keep the B&Ws. :O

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 109
Honestly, I didn't like the P7's at all.  I tried them out at my local Best Buy and they just sounded so weak and anemic.  I had them plugged into my iPod 5th gen with The VAMP VERZA playing ALAC files.  I tried everything from classical, jazz to JPop and these things just didn't do it for me.  Was really disappointed in these headphones.  Enjoyed the M-100's and Amperiors more than the P7's.  I actually enjoy the P5's more than the P7's.  Really want to give the NAD HP50's a listen but think I might have to up my ante to the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs to get the sound I'm looking for.

Was I setting my target too high?  I am trying to find a closed can that can sound like the Philips Fidelio X1.  

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 109
  Honestly, I didn't like the P7's at all.  I tried them out at my local Best Buy and they just sounded so weak and anemic.  I had them plugged into my iPod 5th gen with The VAMP VERZA playing ALAC files.  I tried everything from classical, jazz to JPop and these things just didn't do it for me.  Was really disappointed in these headphones.  Enjoyed the M-100's and Amperiors more than the P7's.  I actually enjoy the P5's more than the P7's.  Really want to give the NAD HP50's a listen but think I might have to up my ante to the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs to get the sound I'm looking for.

Was I setting my target too high?  I am trying to find a closed can that can sound like the Philips Fidelio X1.  

to be fair a short demo at best buy doesn't really do a pair of headphones justice.

why don't you try the Philips closed versions if you are looking for that sound signature? You could always go Mad Dogs too if you are trying to stay at the $300 mark.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 109
  to be fair a short demo at best buy doesn't really do a pair of headphones justice.

why don't you try the Philips closed versions if you are looking for that sound signature? You could always go Mad Dogs too if you are trying to stay at the $300 mark.

Because you never know until you listen to a set of headphones.  A short demo isn't the end game  but to be fair that's what most people will do and that's what they're going to run with. If you have experiences with headphones you should be able to make a personal judgement call.  I know, FOR ME, the mids on the P7 are lacking.

B&W seems all over the place with their headphones.  To me, the P3, P5, and P7 all sound very different.  They haven't established a house signature if you will.  Personally I think the P5's sound the best out of the bunch.  Mind you, I said PERSONALLY.   For people who like the P7, kudos for you.  I hope you will never have to buy another headphone but for me I will continue to listen to whatever I can get my hands on to and give my opinion.  As it stands I still prefer the M-100 for closed/portable use and the Fidelio X1 for home use.

FYI, I'm still waiting for the L2 to come out in the US and I'd rather try the Alpha Dogs over the Mad Dogs but the wait time for the Alpha Dogs is ridiculous.  $300 isn't a limitation for me, although in the short time I've been on Head-fi it seems like that's all I'm limited to.

Try what you can and provide feedback is my motto.  Nobody's word is sacred.  To me, impressions are always valued whether they be good, bad, or ugly!
Have fun with it!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back