B&W P5 vs Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80 - quick impression
Jan 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sbradley02

1000+ Head-Fier
I am a happy Beyer owner. With all the buzz on the B&Ws I was excited to borrow a co-worker's pair of P5s to compare.
The two are pretty close in bass, surprising with the very different design. The B&Ws are more forward in the midrange and little more recessed in the highs. Sound isolation is good but not as good as the Beyers. I prefer the feel of the Beyers as well though I can see many preferring the P5.

Reason I posted this is I see many threads along the lines of "I really like the Beyers but want something with a punchier midrange".
To these people, I highly recommend trying out the B&Ws. Might be just what you are looking for. I definitely prefer the Beyers, but this is all about personal preference, and there was much to like about the P5s.

Source was FLAC on a Cowon D2 with a Leckerton UHA-6S amp.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 4
Good suggestion.
I tried this out.
Comparisons on balance still hold. Bass is similar with a sightly stronger emphasis on the Beyers - this seems to be somewhat source dependent. Rock shows this more than does acoustic. P5 has a stronger midrange and slightly reduced treble compared to the Beyers.
Dynamics is why the P5s win this comparison even though I prefer the balance on the Beyers. The P5s are much more efficient and the Beyers just don't hack it unamped. With the D2's amp working much too hard the Beyers pick up an annoying level of midrange grunge which I find very annoying, like a low bitrate MP3.
Just some quick impressions, hope it was of some help.

Quote:
Thank you for the info. Have you try these two unamped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back