B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Apr 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #496 of 702
Great post D28. I have to agree burn in for these phones is a must, there is a massive difference and they do get a lot better. I've been with these phones since the end of Feb. To my ear the top end is disappointing and soundstage is very narrow with presentation very forward. Isolation is pretty good, they clamp well to the head. They sound great with small acoustic intimate numbers, but disappointingly muddy with larger orchestral pieces. As portable phones I love them, I use them with an S9 and they do need some experimenting with EQ to make them sparkle for me. They sound too flat in neutral, maybe their intention, but that's not how I want to hear things. I switch into my HD 650s to hear work with a larger dynamic range. But then sound on a portable is always going to be a compromise. I just wished the top end was better. Probably my only complaint. Top end is too recessed to me and I like things a bit brighter.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #497 of 702
Great post and review, D-28! I hope you have more reviews for us in the future
smily_headphones1.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi!
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #498 of 702
Great review, D28. I really enjoyed reading it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I'm not going to be an irrational fanboy about it.

Thank goodness!
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #499 of 702
burn in and pink noise question:
i notice that quite a few of you chaps advocate burning in the p5s. presumably this is via a computer/iphone? if so, any application recommendations and for how long it should be continuously run? (osx + iphone here)

thanks

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #500 of 702
I just made a large mistake.

I was listening to Paula West's, "Come What May" which is jazz classics done with 4-5 pieces behind her vocals.
Very clean, very revealing on my JH-13's with a TWag cable, switching immediately to the P-5's.

Don't do that. I know the difference in price is from $1400 to $300, but still, don't do that
eek.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #501 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was listening to Paula West's, "Come What May" which is jazz classics done with 4-5 pieces behind her vocals.
Very clean, very revealing on my JH-13's with a TWag cable, switching immediately to the P-5's.

Don't do that. I know the difference in price is from $1400 to $300, but still, don't do that
eek.gif

What's wrong with it? xD Just tell us :p

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #502 of 702
Quote:

eek.gif

Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious how you use your JH-13s. Is it your primary home rig, or do you use it outside? I'm thinking about getting the JH-16s by the end of this year or early next year (hopefully!), but I'd be worried to use them outside since they're so expensive.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #503 of 702
Quote:

eek.gif

Im confused... what are you trying to say????
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #504 of 702
Great first post, D-28, and welcome to Head-Fi! I have to concur with your views on the P5, my experience relative to the Sonys and the P5 are about the same. I actually kept my P5 past the 14 day period - largely because like an idiot I forgot them when I went to the Apple store to pick up an iPad... would be surprised if they got much more use though, at least for me. They certainly have a sound signature all their own.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #505 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damnegy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with it? xD Just tell us :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgonmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im confused... what are you trying to say????
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

It's not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's like being a really content car aficionado, driving around in an award winning Cadillac CTS, and then getting behind the wheel of decent performing, decently built Ford Taurus. They both do the same thing, and if I had to, I could live out my life in either one.

But, it's all relative. I have a good time listening to my P5's until I go back to my most detailed, and crystal clear headphone (sans the bass), and then go immediately back to the P5's before memory loss plays a role. At that point, the P5 becomes a slight let down.

However, I did include the fact that one headphone and cable cost almost 5 times the price. The car analogy is only 2 1/2 times the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raccoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious how you use your JH-13s. Is it your primary home rig, or do you use it outside? I'm thinking about getting the JH-16s by the end of this year or early next year (hopefully!), but I'd be worried to use them outside since they're so expensive.

No, I only use them outside. But when I say outside, I mean either holding a DAP in my hand and walking through the park or along the water or sitting in a chair in front of my apartment steps on a nice day or traveling on a plane.
When I first got them, I used them in my home rigs and was amazed that they could be substituted for most top tier full size headphones if you had to pick just one headphone.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #506 of 702
Quote:

However, I did include the fact that one headphone and cable cost almost 5 times the price. The car analogy is only 2 1/2 times the price..

yeh comparing $1300 cans to $300 cans is very unfair but still shows how good the $300 pair is but yeah its gonna be hard to a GTR owner to be happy with an M3 even though the M3 is quite good it will never take a turn like a GTR
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #507 of 702
Quote:

eek.gif

And this is why I don't need to buy the P5.

I've tried them numerous times. They got better in the stores after they had burned in. I have an Apple store near me with stock but I wear my JH13s everywhere.

They are a good £249 headphone but not worth me getting. I paid about £750 (good exchange rate) for the JH13 (plus a £200 TWAg cable) but feel that with this option at hand, the P5 does not make good sense to buy. A year ago I'dhave bought them, but maybe this economy has made me spend money on headphones a little wiser
confused_face.gif

Enjoy them though as they are a fine product.

Sceptre

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #508 of 702
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm glad some of you enjoyed my review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomperson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
burn in and pink noise question:
any application recommendations and for how long it should be continuously run? (osx + iphone here)

I'm just using Noisy. It's a white and pink noise generator for Mac that you can download for free. Very simple. Download Noisy for Mac - White and pink noise generator for Leopard. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Also, the burn in of the standard cable didn't take long at all and now it is fine. About the same as the iPhone cable, although I spent almost no time A/B-ing them.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #509 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damnegy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering, do you have any portable amp to try it with?

Damnedgy,
No, I don't have a portable amp. I just don't listen to music that way. Although I think you guys are leading me to it.
L3000.gif

Thanks again for the kind words.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #510 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damnedgy,
No, I don't have a portable amp. I just don't listen to music that way. Although I think you guys are leading me to it.
L3000.gif

Thanks again for the kind words.

Well, ok, I am not using any either, I currently do not have money for one xD But I'd like to try out one at least once. But maybe could you try too? Just to know if it different in a good way or not (for whatever headphones you have...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back