B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Apr 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #406 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't Starbucks be even more evil if they are getting $300 from you every 2 months?
wink.gif

I like your thinking though. I think I will make my own meals everyday over the next 2-3 months and grab a pair myself. By then maybe we will have some comparisons between the P5's and the new Beyerdynamic portables.

Those beyers are indeed very tempting. I do expect them to be slightly superior to the P5 though sound-wise - after all, they're supposedly using a new technology (doesn't really mean anything) and Beyer won't have to spend all that money on new zealand leather.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #407 of 702
As for the comments regarding the cable with the iPod/iPhone in-line control, this cable will not properly work with non-iPods and iPhones (they don't even work properly with the Macs). Apple did something with the specifications with these cables and it causes distortion across all products with this specific in-line control cable (including the plain old white pack-ins). I switched the preinstalled cable on my P5s out for the regular cable straight away since I'm using them with things other than just my iPhone.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #408 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the comments regarding the cable with the iPod/iPhone in-line control, this cable will not properly work with non-iPods and iPhones (they don't even work properly with the Macs). Apple did something with the specifications with these cables and it causes distortion across all products with this specific in-line control cable (including the plain old white pack-ins). I switched the preinstalled cable on my P5s out for the regular cable straight away since I'm using them with things other than just my iPhone.

FYI, the included 3.5mm to 6.5mm seems to work fine with the iPhone cable. I haven't had any problems listening on my desktop amp with it, which is convenient as I don't think the cables will cope with much swapping, and I want to use the phones with my iPhone when I'm on the go.

Also, for owners, if you register you get 3 months membership to B&W's Society of Sound (including FLAC downloads).

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #409 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by sam3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, the included 3.5mm to 6.5mm seems to work fine with the iPhone cable. I haven't had any problems listening on my desktop amp with it, which is convenient as I don't think the cables will cope with much swapping, and I want to use the phones with my iPhone when I'm on the go.

Also, for owners, if you register you get 3 months membership to B&W's Society of Sound (including FLAC downloads).

The included cable WITHOUT the mic works fine with everything, I was just pointing out that the cable which is preinstalled and has the mic does not work properly (as in you will get a lot of distortion) with basically ever 3.5mm input I've tried them with (this is the same issue with the earphones that comes with the iPhone 3GS). If you got it to work with your desktop amp then I am glad that it worked out for you and yours might be the exception. Kind of a bummer that I have to forego the convenience of the mic/controls in order to have universal compatibility with my stuff.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #410 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The included cable WITHOUT the mic works fine with everything, I was just pointing out that the cable which is preinstalled and has the mic does not work properly (as in you will get a lot of distortion) with basically ever 3.5mm input I've tried them with (this is the same issue with the earphones that comes with the iPhone 3GS). If you got it to work with your desktop amp then I am glad that it worked out for you and yours might be the exception. Kind of a bummer that I have to forego the convenience of the mic/controls in order to have universal compatibility with my stuff.

I think I was trying to say that the included adaptor might be designed such that it insulates the 4th contact. I'd love to be able to find a short 3.5mm extension cable that does something similar.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #411 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity which B&W dealer has the P5's on display? I'd love to find someplace better suited to demo a set.

It's a Canadian dealer, and they had been given a 'prototype' of the P5s. It could be May for the dealers to carry them, depending on the deal Apple has in each country.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #413 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgonmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing about the P5s is that they only do things when the recording in question calls for it.. They dont color the whole song to sound one way.. I have some songs that has an actual sparkle sound effect and guess what!? the P5s render that sound perfectly

Now this is sensible way to look at sound reproduction. I believe that headphones, like loudspeakers, should be true to the music being played and the errors should be one of omission. We all know that not all music is written to produce a WOW in the listener. If it is, then the headphones should give the listener this sensation or experience.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #414 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this is sensible way to look at sound reproduction. I believe that headphones, like loudspeakers, should be true to the music being played and the errors should be one of omission. We all know that not all music is written to produce a WOW in the listener. If it is, then the headphones should give the listener this sensation or experience.

Exactly but many people have grown accustomed to boosted and bass enhanced treble enhanced headphones and speakers such that they prefer that type of sound..

I like a headphones or speaker system that responds to what i give it and does not add anything artificial to the sound. if im playing a booming bass song i expect the speakers to boom and if im playing a treble happy song then i expect bright happy treble.. and if imp playing music that is balanced across the sound spectrum, then that is what i wana hear..

but that is just my taste and i can see where others will want every song to go boom or be super bright..

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #415 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. Most of my favorite headphones or speakers seemed to be kinda laid back or unimpressive at first but after extended listening they became supremely enjoyable.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #416 of 702
If the P5 frequency response curve seems fairly neutral to me, I don't think the way they present sound is very true to the source. their imaging is quite weird and the soundstage rather claustrophobic in comparison to other headphones. Some instruments jump in your face in a way that doesn't sound very faithful to me.

There seems to be quite a lot of overhype here. Yes, they're good in lots of ways, and yes they're fantastically designed, but the competition is just as good, even in terms of neutrality, and if not better in some areas.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #417 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the P5 frequency response curve seems fairly neutral to me, I don't think the way they present sound is very true to the source. their imaging is quite weird and the soundstage rather claustrophobic in comparison to other headphones. Some instruments jump in your face in a way that doesn't sound very faithful to me.

There seems to be quite a lot of overhype here. Yes, they're good in lots of ways, and yes they're fantastically designed, but the competition is just as good, even in terms of neutrality, and if not better in some areas.

P5s are not THE BEST but they are up there in the class in the the BEST in my opinion..

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #418 of 702
IMO those cans look pretty ugly.

The juxtaposition of that too-perfectly ovaled logo on each cup against the meticulously rectangular pads makes me gag. The attachments between the headband and the cup is neat and the wiring on the headband looks sturdy, but the earpads themselves just look weird. I don't like the look of the punctured leather, either. That seems like it might change the sound signature. But if they sound as good as some posts in this thread claim, I'm sure I'll see those ugly ducklings being worn around at some point.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #419 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO those cans look pretty ugly.

The juxtaposition of that too-perfectly ovaled logo on each cup against the meticulously rectangular pads makes me gag. The attachments between the headband and the cup is neat and the wiring on the headband looks sturdy, but the earpads themselves just look weird. I don't like the look of the punctured leather, either. That seems like it might change the sound signature. But if they sound as good as some posts in this thread claim, I'm sure I'll see those ugly ducklings being worn around at some point.

That's my gripe with the look too.

With many people talking about how the sound is warm and a little muddy, I wonder what punching a few bigger holes in that big leather pad would do? Who's the first DIY volunteer?
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #420 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my gripe with the look too.

With many people talking about how the sound is warm and a little muddy, I wonder what punching a few bigger holes in that big leather pad would do? Who's the first DIY volunteer?
biggrin.gif

ಠ__ಠ - New toy phase still in effect; people are just going to "burn them in" for an absurd length of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back