B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #393 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur with your comment regarding their sound signature.

However, what I meant was more generic : it isn't that I prefer the IE8 pver the P5 : actually, I really dislike them, while I do enjoy the P5. But, from an engeneering point of view I expect portable headphones to outperform IEMs within the same price bracket - and the P5 don't. As an example, it seems that the ES10 are indeed technically better than most top IEMs (UM3x, SM3) while costing the same (and actually a bit less in Europe).

But in the end, cowincanada's post in spot on : the P5 are amazingly well designed as a portable solution, and that characteristic may offset the pricetag.

I think that in ear type headphones have the advantage of application (non obstructed direct feed of sound to the auditory canal) over the over ear types so i would expect that in most cases the in ear types would be more effective sonically. But for me over ear is the only opinion cause i can stand having objects lodged in my ear sever..

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #394 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgonmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that in ear type headphones have the advantage of application (non obstructed direct feed of sound to the auditory canal) over the over ear types so i would expect that in most cases the in ear types would be more effective sonically. But for me over ear is the only opinion cause i can stand having objects lodged in my ear sever..

It could be true regarding customs, but regarding universal IEMs it usually is the opposite. Certainly because wearing full size cans is all but obstructing anything
smily_headphones1.gif
. Additionally, i'm pretty sure it is easier to manufacture dynamic drivers than to carefully tune armature drivers.

IEMs have made great progresses over the last few years, but the rule that for a similar price a portable pair of headphones is going to deliver a slightly better sound still holds true to me (not taking into account those with poor value ratio).

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #395 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowincanada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just got mine on our lunch break. I went to the apple store and a rep started to talk to me as i was coming in and then I saw the p5's on demo and went to it right away and she just smiled and said 'i guess you know what you're looking for'.

I've been coming back to this store once a week this month hoping they'd have the p5's in stock and I came prepared with my 3gs and lossless tracks that I was familiar with. I started off with some Dire Straits (Your latest trick live version) - thought the sax intro was great as its supposed to be, but the drums sounded better on my ms1i and SRH840. Next was Enya (Orinoco Flow) - still not impressed, but that's not saying the sound is bad - just inferior to the Senn. Next was my biggest test Eric Clapton unplugged (Lonely Stranger) and Dave Matthews Live (Satellite) because this is the primary genre that I most listen to. Here where I find the p5's shine, definitely better than the ms1i and on par with the srh840.

Well, anyway, I got the headphones as I've been waiting and reading about them for a long time and its really not a fair audition if you do it at the apple store. After listening to it for about 2 more hours, I'd say either I'm getting used to the sound signature, or they've just improved slightly. I listened to Enya again and they sound a lot better now, nowhere near to how I remember it at the store.

Now the question is, are they worth 300$? (329.00 + 13% tax since I live in Toronto). For a lot of people, BASED ON SOUND QUALITY ALONE, the answer is no. My SRH840 generally sounds better (out of the box at least), and the ms1i (110$) is not that far behind based on price difference.

Nevertheless, I find that the p5 fits exactly what I need. A set of true portable cans that sound great, won't leak noise in the subway, can hang comfortably around the neck, runs well with an ipod / iphone that I can adjust the volume and switch tracks easily. My SRH840 and MS1i couldn't do all those things without sacrificing comfort or portability.

Looking forward to hearing the improvement and opening up after the burn in. But as it is, I think they're great.

I agree completely, The P5's are very good portable headphones. I do believe they are worth the $300 price tag, the only reason they are not at home with me now is because I am looking for a different sound signature, which is based soley on preference. For what they were designed for, they do very well.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #396 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by damballah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8's are 100.00 dollars more though correct?

Thanks!

No. I paid $284 plus shipping on Amazon.com for mine, so $301 with shipping, and I paid the equivalent of $300 (U.S.) for my P5s with free shipping from Apple - so about the same.

I wasn't really trying to compare them against anything else - just that I happen to own both and have purchased both in the past 3 weeks.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #397 of 702
I tried the P5s today. Was very very disappointed. Was expecting to have at least heard a hint of the "B&W" sound and I heard none. I think I'm subjectively qualified to know the difference as I am completely surrounded by B&W speakers (I have a thing for the sound signature) and I have demoed what was the lowest and close to the highest they offer (until a few weeks ago when the renewed the 800 line). The mids were way too "recessed" for my taste. I much MUCH preferred Grado's that are in the same price range.

This is all subjective and only my opinion
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #398 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the P5s today. Was very very disappointed. Was expecting to have at least heard a hint of the "B&W" sound and I heard none. I think I'm subjectively qualified to know the difference as I am completely surrounded by B&W speakers (I have a thing for the sound signature) and I have demoed what was the lowest and close to the highest they offer (until a few weeks ago when the renewed the 800 line). The mids were way too "recessed" for my taste. I much MUCH preferred Grado's that are in the same price range.

wink.gif

I'm sorry that the mids sounded off to you... I'm glad they sound perfect to me though.. maybe another set of cans willl be a Better voice for you then

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #399 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

That doesn't sound too surprising to me, having talked to a B&W dealer recently who has had some P5s since December. He certainly didn't compare them to any of their speakers, or comment on them having the "B&W" sound. He wasn't critical of them, but didn't rave about them either. That being said, they don't carry any headphones, and they used to carry Stax only - that's where I bought mine years ago.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #400 of 702
Picked a pair up at the Apple Store yesterday. They did not have a demo set, so I had to buy it sight unseen sound unheard.

Right out of the box, they sound muddy. This has improved slightly after letting it burn in overnight, so I'll have to see what happens.

Actually, the factory-installed iPhone cable sounded really distorted out of my iQube. The extra conductor on the jack for the mic did not always align correctly on the iQube. I switched to the non-iPhone MFI cable, and the distortion was gone.

Have 14 days to decide...

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #401 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't sound too surprising to me, having talked to a B&W dealer recently who has had some P5s since December. He certainly didn't compare them to any of their speakers, or comment on them having the "B&W" sound. He wasn't critical of them, but didn't rave about them either. That being said, they don't carry any headphones, and they used to carry Stax only - that's where I bought mine years ago.

Just out of curiosity which B&W dealer has the P5's on display? I'd love to find someplace better suited to demo a set.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #402 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, the factory-installed iPhone cable sounded really distorted out of my iQube. The extra conductor on the jack for the mic did not always align correctly on the iQube. I switched to the non-iPhone MFI cable, and the distortion was gone.

Have 14 days to decide...

I'm not some "cable believer" but found the iPhone cable cable pretty dinky. Does it come with another user installable cable?

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #403 of 702
I've tried the P5 in the Apple Store in Paris, with my iPhone 3G, some ALAC files. At first, the headphones did not really isolate well, I could hear people next to me talking, and I tried to find the right position of the earpads on my ears. After listening to a couple of songs, I could not even notice the noise around me (maybe because I was focused on listening to the music, but whatever). I had my freshly received ESW9 with me, and made some comparisons. I find the ESW9 too aggressive sometimes, for instance the cymbals and sometimes the acoustic guitars (I mostly listen to rock/alternative), whereas there was no such aggressiveness with the P5. That is what stroke me most. Then, on some of my files, where the ESW9 where really good, the P5 could even do better in vocals and somehow in bass. I also tried out some classical music (especially piano), and some vocal-centered songs, and on those, the P5 clearly outstanded the ESW9. On the other hand, with other songs, the ESW9 were quite better. So I assume they already opened up, and I was pleasantly surprised by those, and may buy a pair later, in replacement of my ESW9 for portable use (I know, ESW9 do not isolate at all, but I've let IEM go because of my hearing, and these are the only headset I currently have...)
And as I have just thought of it, it is not because the phones are on display for several days/weeks that they are burning in (I forgot to play the music after I replugged the P5 to the iPod on demo...)

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #404 of 702
After a relatively brief audition at an Apple store I have decided to purchase a set of P-5's. I am however going to wait for them to be available at local B&W dealers. I'd much prefer to give my hard earned money to a locally owned Hi-Fi shop as opposed to padding the coffers of the evil Apple empire (I own an iPod, but only because there is no real competition).

So I figure I'll be getting a set in late May. That gives me 8 weeks to save for them. If I cut out Starbucks it all but pays for my P-5's. That means that my P-5's will be free, well.... sort of.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #405 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a relatively brief audition at an Apple store I have decided to purchase a set of P-5's. I am however going to wait for them to be available at local B&W dealers. I'd much prefer to give my hard earned money to a locally owned Hi-Fi shop as opposed to padding the coffers of the evil Apple empire (I own an iPod, but only because there is no real competition).

So I figure I'll be getting a set in late May. That gives me 8 weeks to save for them. If I cut out Starbucks it all but pays for my P-5's. That means that my P-5's will be free, well.... sort of.

Wouldn't Starbucks be even more evil if they are getting $300 from you every 2 months?
wink.gif

I like your thinking though. I think I will make my own meals everyday over the next 2-3 months and grab a pair myself. By then maybe we will have some comparisons between the P5's and the new Beyerdynamic portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back