B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Mar 31, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #361 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely agree with you. If you already have phones that serves the same purpose as the P5s, the P5s become redundant and there really is no point in having them. Due to some changes in my listening habits, I've recently sold off a few items from my collection, mainly due to myself not spending much time with them. I've basically sold off my Ultrasones, SE530s, and in the process of selling my Tomahawk amp in a attempt to consolidate by using the funds from those sales to fund the P5s. Still kept a lot of my other gear but those actually serve mixing purposes.

The thing is that yes, they do sound good, and yes, the build quality is great, but they don't sound any better than equally priced IEMs. And I expect from headphones to be better than IEMs at the same price : the Shure SRH840 are actually as good as top tier IEMs while costing much less.

Such a shame, really : they're just so damn good looking !

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #363 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you describe the feeling of owning the p5's? Does the bass handle techno music well? im really interested but reviews arent too convincing! thanks!

Im jamming hard in my P5s to everything but the girl "adapt or die" album
darthsmile.gif
i am a junglist and also listen to D&B and trance.. the P5s are perfect!!!

and now Solar Twins "Astral Hymn"
devil_face.gif
devil_face.gif
any phones that can handle this song are good phones...lol

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #364 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they should have opened up for you by 50 (they did for me). If you are getting congestion and poor separation, then I don't think you will be happy with these.

Another note of possible interest, when I spoke to Steve about his Blog on CNET, he said his ears got a little sweaty after a decent listening session, and mine didn't get sweaty at all, even in a warm room with 4 EL-34's pumping away behind me.

Everybody's different.

im at 35 hours and they are wide open.. i love how the sub sonic bas moves them on your ears but the audible bass stays silky smooth..
icon10.gif

time for some eye candy!!!

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #365 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strictly speaking, the feeling of owning and object... is to own it.

More seriously, the p5 are actually quite versatile and I'm sure they'll handle techno decently well. However, I'm pretty sure they won't go as far as being great : they might lack speed during complex passages and their rather narrow soundstage might be a problem there.

But I prefer not to say anything more since I'm still burning them in.

I c. Taking into consideration the portability, build quality, sq, and etc, i think it wouldnt be too bad. But i think its best to wait for a few more months since beyerdynamic is launching the t50p and others might follow. P5 is definitely a well designed headphone

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #367 of 702
@anadin did you audition them in the store first? they sound like a great iphone option my main concern is fitting as i have a head somewhat on the big side <insert_joke_here>

love to hear your first impressions

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #368 of 702
Just picked these up on my way to work (thank you 24-hour Apple Store 5th Av!). Here are my initial impressions (they are currently in the process of being burned in at my office):

First off, I had forgotten how God awful the music loaded on to those display iPods and iPhones were. I initially tried the P5s out listening to the stuff that they had loaded up on a iPhone demo unit. The first thing that popped into my mind was "Wow, these P5s are pretty lousy, I get better sound from these super cheap and not very good Klipsch S2s!" Then it occurred to me that it might just be what was on the iPhone demo unit. So I unplugged it from the demo and plugged them into my own iPhone. Remarkable difference! So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, the music loaded up on the iPhone and iPod demo units are horrible and nothing will make them sound good.

Secondly, these things grip your head like a vice, the good thing is that the padding is very soft and pillow-like thus they are not uncomfortable. I can't imagine my ears getting too hot with these on either since they don't really make all that much contact with your ear. Most of the sealing I feel is around the ear canal but it's a far cry from having your entire ear area flat against let's say, a pillow. I don't see a foreseeable problem with the fit or excess accumulation of heat on ones ears with these things.

Now, on to the my initial impression of the sound. My expectation going in was of something that sounded pretty much flat with no part of the spectrum being outstanding. I was expecting something along the lines of a mid-range pair of UEs. Thankfully this is not the case here BUT my expectation going in IS partially correct. There's no particular part of the spectrum STANDING OUT better than the rest of the spectrum but by no means are they flat, the P5s are just not really particularly coloured or really have a "unique sound signature" apart from them having the sound which is equivalent to listening to something that is totally not under the influence of any external EQing apart from how the track was originally mixed.

Another thing to take note about the sound is that the P5s is most probably best described as "intimate" in regards to the soundstage. You're not going to get that stadium or orchestra sensation when listening to the P5s. What you will get however is the perception of having the singer and instruments in the room there with you (and not a big room either, think recording studio sized room).

These are all initial impressions of course as these are still being burned in, but there you have it, relatively good initial feelings towards the P5s. My gut tells me that they are going to be keepers. Also of note, these definitely are very well made, packaging is gorgeous and I love the tray that the headphone comes in (it's covered in what seems to be stretchy speaker cover material). Portability is definitely the best in class I would say (I'm amazed that these are 40mm drivers since these things are pretty darn miniscule).

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #369 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomperson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@anadin did you audition them in the store first? they sound like a great iphone option my main concern is fitting as i have a head somewhat on the big side <insert_joke_here>

love to hear your first impressions

I did audition them first but its always difficult to make an assessment when your listening in a store full of people.

They do isolate fairly well and the comfort factor is mediocre as I have a large head and they clamp hard.

SQ at this early stage is so so, they have a very even sound spectrum with a decent soundstage, a bit of a mixed bag for me at this early stage.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #370 of 702
I took my mp3 player to the apple store yesterday to demo (and possibly buy) the P5 headphones. First they are very solid and well built with a luxurious look and feel to them. They are also extremely comfortable (i do have a small head though).

As far as the sound goes from all of the different genres I tested (rock, rap, r&b, jazz, & metal): the bass is very good, good impact but not the best extension (although it wasn't muddy either which is good because most of my large base headphones are somewhat muddy in the extension region). The treble is okay, not rolled off but not sparkely either. The mids however are clear but recessed (sounds like they are far away). This for me is a problem because I like my vocals close and up front, but might be prefered to some. Soundstage was good for a closed headphone but you can still tell it's a closed headphone. It also had pretty decent isolation.

Overall the P5 is a solid headphone but I did not buy it due to the lack of WOW factor: it just seemed like I've heard this headphone before, similar sound signature to the DT770's (although not as much bass). Their sound signature sounded very similar to the Dre Beat solos except slightly more nuetral. Also, I didn't have my amp and who knows how long they have been burning in on the display.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #371 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked these up on my way to work (thank you 24-hour Apple Store 5th Av!). Here are my initial impressions (they are currently in the process of being burned in at my office):

First off, I had forgotten how God awful the music loaded on to those display iPods and iPhones were. I initially tried the P5s out listening to the stuff that they had loaded up on a iPhone demo unit. The first thing that popped into my mind was "Wow, these P5s are pretty lousy, I get better sound from these super cheap and not very good Klipsch S2s!" Then it occurred to me that it might just be what was on the iPhone demo unit. So I unplugged it from the demo and plugged them into my own iPhone. Remarkable difference! So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, the music loaded up on the iPhone and iPod demo units are horrible and nothing will make them sound good.

Secondly, these things grip your head like a vice, the good thing is that the padding is very soft and pillow-like thus they are not uncomfortable. I can't imagine my ears getting too hot with these on either since they don't really make all that much contact with your ear. Most of the sealing I feel is around the ear canal but it's a far cry from having your entire ear area flat against let's say, a pillow. I don't see a foreseeable problem with the fit or excess accumulation of heat on ones ears with these things.

Now, on to the my initial impression of the sound. My expectation going in was of something that sounded pretty much flat with no part of the spectrum being outstanding. I was expecting something along the lines of a mid-range pair of UEs. Thankfully this is not the case here BUT my expectation going in IS partially correct. There's no particular part of the spectrum STANDING OUT better than the rest of the spectrum but by no means are they flat, the P5s are just not really particularly coloured or really have a "unique sound signature" apart from them having the sound which is equivalent to listening to something that is totally not under the influence of any external EQing apart from how the track was originally mixed.

Another thing to take note about the sound is that the P5s is most probably best described as "intimate" in regards to the soundstage. You're not going to get that stadium or orchestra sensation when listening to the P5s. What you will get however is the perception of having the singer and instruments in the room there with you (and not a big room either, think recording studio sized room).

These are all initial impressions of course as these are still being burned in, but there you have it, relatively good initial feelings towards the P5s. My gut tells me that they are going to be keepers. Also of note, these definitely are very well made, packaging is gorgeous and I love the tray that the headphone comes in (it's covered in what seems to be stretchy speaker cover material). Portability is definitely the best in class I would say (I'm amazed that these are 40mm drivers since these things are pretty darn miniscule).

yup.. and there you have it folks... the light is shining through the clouds like heavenly rays of glorious light upon the!! The P5s re amazing!!!

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #372 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids however are clear but recessed (sounds like they are far away). This for me is a problem because I like my vocals close and up front,.

i have to say that this is false!!!! the vocals are very up front balanced and warm but NOT PIERCING or bright!!

They sit in the track mix where ever the producer intended them to.. P5s render the sound the way the producer designed it to sound which is what i like cause this way you get to hear the wide diversity of production styles and effects in your music!!! EVERYTHING SHOULD NOT SOUND THE SAME that is unrealistic and boring..!!

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #373 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgonmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have to say that this is false!!!! the vocals are very up front balanced and warm but NOT PIERCING or bright!!

They sit in the track mix where ever the producer intended them to.. P5s render the sound the way the producer designed it to sound which is what i like cause this way you get to hear the wide diversity of production styles and effects in your music!!! EVERYTHING SHOULD NOT SOUND THE SAME that is unrealistic and boring..!!

I wouldn't say that Stevie B was totally wrong. He's pretty much on the money say that these don't sparkle because the P5s don't sparkle but it's not a bad thing. I certainly did not expect the P5s to sparkle like my Ultrasone Pro 900 and my no sold Pro 650s. If anything, these sound just a bit more transparent to the Shure e530s that I had except a bit more balanced (the Shures were a bit biassed towards the mids, bringing them forward more then they should be). I would say that the P5s are relatively detailed but smooth phones. I also notice that on busier tracks, vocals kind of recess a bit but I would put good money on that being more of an issue with the mix of the track moreso than a technical issue with the phones. There definitely is not WOW factor with these since they are pretty well balanced, but I can't wait to try some good EQing with these and a proper set up.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #374 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgonmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I understand you like these headphones but the vocals were not upfront when I listened to them, but again they might not have been burned in properly. Either way, after seeing your clear bias towards these headphones I can't take your comments seriously.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #375 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand you like these headphones but the vocals were not upfront when I listened to them, but again they might not have been burned in properly. Either way, after seeing your clear bias towards these headphones I can't take your comments seriously.

Totally agree - its more like he is trying to convince himself too much
wink.gif

I really appreciate all the other posters on this thread though, as they have divided opinion somewhat
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back