B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Mar 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #196 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyzone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting review by wired.com
Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones | Wired.com Product Reviews

yes, they did use the word "DOPE" to describe their sound... lol

Shame they said next to nothing about the sound. And the only comparison they made is to sub-$100 headphones. Since this isn't Bose/Beats we're talking about, I do kinda expect $300 headphones to sound better than $100 headphones.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #197 of 702
I've had mine for about 24 hours now (let them burn in for about 15-20 hours so far). They had a very weird sound in the beginning as everyone else noticed (muffled mids and missing fullness/top end).

As they settled in about 15 hours they started to open up some. There is a nice big sound to them, its very close and intimate. The sonic range has really opened up and they are becoming more balanced and very detailed though something is still missing in the upper end. I wore them for about an hour on a walk today - the sound isolation was great on the noisy city streets and they were incredibly conformable too. The only thing that is an utter disappointment is the cable. It feels so cheap and flimsy that I fear I might cut it in half if I caught it in the zipper of my sweatshirt. Since it is detachable I suppose I will just have to hope someone comes out with or finds a suitable aftermarket cable.

When I first tried them on yesterday they were nowheres near as enjoyable sound-wise as they are now. They really outclass the MDR-7506 for a closed back isolating portable. There is a lot of nice detail that really jumps out of the P-5, the sound stage is very close but large - they put you right close to the music in grado vein. On my iphone I really had to stay about 4 or less volume clicks from max to drive them but they seemed to run fine and sound full.

I am sure there are options that have better upper end clarity and detail which might be one of the weaker points of this headphone though mine are still breaking in. I would say for me they add up to $200 SQ and $100 design/luxury/fit & finish/marketing. I am very happy with the purchase.

Edit: After 3 days these headphones have really come alive - I am very happy with them. The top end has come around, and the detail is wonderful and full. Those who want a nice soundstage and are used to open backs/senns might not love these but the sound is big and experience is very intimate.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #198 of 702
lol people are going to pss themselves laughing at this ... i was leaving London permanently after 5 years, and last minute remembered i had a £300 apple gift voucher that i had to use. I'd taken a look on the website to see what i could grab (have iphone already etc) Saw the P5s for £250, thought i'd audition them and buy them. So rushed to the Apple store on my final day in London, had a quick listen, and then tried to grab them.... none in stock. They had about 10 out as display headphones... gah.

I had literally less than 5 minutes, taxi waiting to get me to the airport... in my haste i panicked, and without having any listen or anything, i just grabbed the next set of cans which were going to use up the vouchers... hahahaha OMG. yep... £280 on a set of Monster studio by Dr Dre. Fk. The box looked ridiculous as did Dr Dres face on the side but i had to use the voucher and i wanted a set of cans.

In hindsight i should have just grabbed the store manager and asked to take one of the used P5s... would have been a better choice x 1million.

That has to be the biggest waste of £280 ever.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #199 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by tezzla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol people are going to pss themselves laughing at this ... i was leaving London permanently after 5 years, and last minute remembered i had a £300 apple gift voucher that i had to use. I'd taken a look on the website to see what i could grab (have iphone already etc) Saw the P5s for £250, thought i'd audition them and buy them. So rushed to the Apple store on my final day in London, had a quick listen, and then tried to grab them.... none in stock. They had about 10 out as display headphones... gah.

I had literally less than 5 minutes, taxi waiting to get me to the airport... in my haste i panicked, and without having any listen or anything, i just grabbed the next set of cans which were going to use up the vouchers... hahahaha OMG. yep... £280 on a set of Monster studio by Dr Dre. Fk. The box looked ridiculous as did Dr Dres face on the side but i had to use the voucher and i wanted a set of cans.

In hindsight i should have just grabbed the store manager and asked to take one of the used P5s... would have been a better choice x 1million.

You have my sympathies
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #200 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by tezzla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Although headphones from Apple have a 'different' return policy, you can still return them within 14 days for full credit.

Worth the postage I'd have thought.

Sceptre

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #201 of 702
Well, mine just arrived today and OH! my god they are pretty.

I got them to replace my D1001's for portable use with my iphone and while they are still burning in, I have the suspicion they will be loved for a very long time.

I wont say much on sound since they aren't done cookin but i can say that after the few hours of pink noise they do get remarkably better than strait out of the box.

I've added some pics showing them off and size comparisons to other phones.

FULL ALBUM

L1000902.jpg

L1000895.jpg

L1000915.jpg

L1000908.jpg

L1000913.jpg

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #203 of 702
very interesting pair of headphones. would love to hear a comparison between these and the senn HD25. I own a pair of HD25 now and like the sound alot but theyr not the most comfortable ones to wear a long time (atleast on my head). Im searching for good (portable) super comfy headphones, with on par SQ as the HD25 provide
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #205 of 702
I went to the Apple store today and took a fairly long listen with the variety of music pre-loaded on to the iPod Touch (specifically some Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Usher, Stevie Ray Vaughan). I also listened to all the other headphones hooked up to the panel of touches and nanos. Bose quiet comforts (3 and 5?), and the Beats - all of which were more expensive than the P5s.

Long story short the P5s beat them all (and were also the cheapest of this bunch) - and it beat them by a huge margin. No highs, no lows, must be bose my engineer friend used to say.

Everything was there that you'd expect from a good set of phones: style, comfort, wide headstage/soundstage (which is the good one again?), bass, treble and mids. It was slightly boomy on some tracks but that could be because they were newish. And this was after I went to the settings and turned the EQ bass boost off. I hate it when kids play the settings...

Anyways even after the adjustment I was surprised at the amount of bass on Usher's 'Yeah' - it was definitely deep and resonant. Too much? Not sure. Would need to listen through my own little rig (MacBook->uDac).

They were extremely comfortable, like really, and I had no difficulties with clamping. I didn't bring my vintage 325s (black) to try next to them so I can't definitely say I prefer the P5s over them. But I wouldn't be complaining if someone gave me a pair - that's for sure!

Also they were really classic looking and stylish to handle.

Hope that helps a little till some pros add their views...

James

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #208 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the Apple store today and took a fairly long listen with the variety of music pre-loaded on to the iPod Touch (specifically some Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Usher, Stevie Ray Vaughan). I also listened to all the other headphones hooked up to the panel of touches and nanos. Bose quiet comforts (3 and 5?), and the Beats - all of which were more expensive than the P5s.

Long story short the P5s beat them all (and were also the cheapest of this bunch) - and it beat them by a huge margin. No highs, no lows, must be bose my engineer friend used to say.

Everything was there that you'd expect from a good set of phones: style, comfort, wide headstage/soundstage (which is the good one again?), bass, treble and mids. It was slightly boomy on some tracks but that could be because they were newish. And this was after I went to the settings and turned the EQ bass boost off. I hate it when kids play the settings...

Anyways even after the adjustment I was surprised at the amount of bass on Usher's 'Yeah' - it was definitely deep and resonant. Too much? Not sure. Would need to listen through my own little rig (MacBook->uDac).

They were extremely comfortable, like really, and I had no difficulties with clamping. I didn't bring my vintage 325s (black) to try next to them so I can't definitely say I prefer the P5s over them. But I wouldn't be complaining if someone gave me a pair - that's for sure!

Also they were really classic looking and stylish to handle.

Hope that helps a little till some pros add their views...

James

But did you buy them?

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #209 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far how are they comparing against the Denons?

Well its only been a day, but I definitely prefer the P5's to the 1001's (as I should for $300).

Ill be short in my comparison, but compared to the beautiful lush sound coming from the P5's the 1001's sound slightly veiled and anemic.
The P5's really are shaping up to be a great set of phones. hopefully they will continue to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back