B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Mar 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #151 of 702
This is just a hunch - but given that I have been monitoring the headphones since they appeared available int he apple store (week or so ago) and that the product was pulled/updated with a new code yesterday with a date attached (and because I ordered after this update and they shipped right away) - It seems like Apple might have just gotten them in stock at there warehouses in the past day or so. Total speculation.

I would think they would show up in certain apple stores any time over the next couple weeks. I actually would be surprised if they stocked these at every US Apple Store though. I remember that there were many high-end brand headphones at the flagship stores (Michigan Ave Chicago, 5th Ave NY, etc) that are not stocked in many of the mall stores. In terms of accessories and specifically headphones, all Apple stores are not equal.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #153 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by damballah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone seen these in their US apple store yet? I talked to B & W and they said they would be appearing in the local apple stores the last week in March, but I was wondering if anyone has seen them ahead of time.

Thanks!

The date I had heard from B&W was the 23rd. So, it looks like they are actually ahead of that with respect to product shipping out via online orders. So, I'd guess that we'll see them in stores next week for sure, perhaps as early as this weekend in some locations. I know the primary Apple store here in Atlanta doesn't have them yet (Lenox Square) - I asked them today.

Jeff

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #154 of 702
Really dumb looking headphones. They're design says to me: Let's make something that looks really expensive and shiny. And leather, yeah, leather. They look heavy, uncomfortable and I bet they sound like crap. Everyone at B&W must have lost their hearing because their speakers now all SCREAM TREBLE.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #155 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really dumb looking headphones. They're design says to me: Let's make something that looks really expensive and shiny. And leather, yeah, leather. I bet they sound like crap.

That was my first impression as well. Has a touch of that B&O aura.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #156 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah - people can saw what they want about the P5 (and as usual most people commenting have never seen or heard them), but to call B&W in any way equivalent to Bose is beyond ridiculous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/te...8cir&emc=cirb1

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #157 of 702
just got mine in today, so far i am very impressed by the presentation and build of the cans. i'm in the process of breaking them in but am very much impressed by the sound quality.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #158 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsm511 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got mine in today, so far i am very impressed by the presentation and build of the cans. i'm in the process of breaking them in but am very much impressed by the sound quality.

could you please write a review afterwards? i wanna see if its worth the money

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #159 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boldly Going Where Bose Has Gone Before - NYTimes.com

I clearly meant the COMPANY, not the headphones - in fact that was the WHOLE point of what I said - so your quoting that article is out of context to my comment.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #160 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I see it, the P5 and the AH-D1001 fight for the same category of buyer, despite the huge difference in price, as they both are designed for portable players and because of that both sets of headphones are (more or less) portable.

I think you would also have to included the Audio Technica ESW9A in this category right? I wonder how they stack up there?

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #161 of 702
(They look heavy, uncomfortable and I bet they sound like crap. Everyone at B&W must have lost their hearing because their speakers now all SCREAM TREBLE)

This is the most ridicules thing I've ever heard! I have 802D, 805D and they are some of the most neutral speakers built. And YES, they are the new 800's. You can take your comment and shove it. We had out rep come in our store yesterday and we demoed the P5's and let me say, these were very surprising! I to was skeptical at first, but then we started to listed to them and wow, they had a great sound stage! the bass was not too boomy or the mids too pronounced and the treble was not piercing. A very good pair of cans IMO.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #162 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by wisehybred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(They look heavy, uncomfortable and I bet they sound like crap. Everyone at B&W must have lost their hearing because their speakers now all SCREAM TREBLE)

This is the most ridicules thing I've ever heard! I have 802D, 805D and they are some of the most neutral speakers built. And YES, they are the new 800's. You can take your comment and shove it. We had out rep come in our store yesterday and we demoed the P5's and let me say, these were very surprising! I to was skeptical at first, but then we started to listed to them and wow, they had a great sound stage! the bass was not too boomy or the mids too pronounced and the treble was not piercing. A very good pair of cans IMO.

Dayummm need to get me some asap

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #164 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by wisehybred /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I think your response went a little overboard, but I would guess that very, very few people would agree with his comments - and count me as one of those people!
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #165 of 702
I went to the Liverpool Apple store yesterday to take another listen to the P5. The leather pads were clearly worn in and the assistant confirmed that it had been playing continuously for the past few days.

The sound was much improved compared to the first pair I heard. (same source etc.)
I wore them for a while to gauge the warmth on my ears again. Less than I anticipated.

I went to buy them and found them to be out of stock - 2 weeks expected until next delivery.

These are going to sell well. I was told that the Apple exclusive deal will run out and others will be selling them, possibly for less!

Enjoy

Sceptre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back