B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
May 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,607 of 1,671
Hi, I am asking this question for another Head-fi Member from Italy. @paglioz
- Is it possible to get a cable with a 4.4mm connector to run the H9i in balanced mode (with ANC OFF!) ??? (He has an Ibasso DX160 and wants to see if the H9i sounds better from the balanced output.)
Thanks for any help/ideas.

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,608 of 1,671
Hey guys, anyone own the new update to the H9(Gen3) ? Is it a legit new update to the headphone or just a battery upgrade? Ive been told the h9i had better sound than the older gen 1 h9. This new h9 gen3, better sound than h9i ? or even the older Gen1 H9?

PS: i'm aware the H9i is considered the Gen2 of the H9 series.
Its more comfortable

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,609 of 1,671
My soon to be wife gave me a pair of new H9 3rd gen as a early birthday present.
I really like them so far.
How could i not :D
They really feel like a upgrade from my old Sony MDR-1000X (first gen).

But i miss having a hardcase, like the one that came with the sony's..

Can you recommend me a good carrying case please?
You have an awesome wife.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,611 of 1,671
Have you tried turning it up in the app. By default it's about half
They will be quiet because of the darn annoying EU volume limiting requirements and with a Bluetooth headphone they can easily squash the output. That is why I stopped buying B&O wireless headphones despite very much enjoying the sound signatures. I always had my H7 on full volume and even with modern brick walled recordings it was barely loud enough.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,612 of 1,671
They will be quiet because of the darn annoying EU volume limiting requirements and with a Bluetooth headphone they can easily squash the output. That is why I stopped buying B&O wireless headphones despite very much enjoying the sound signatures. I always had my H7 on full volume and even with modern brick walled recordings it was barely loud enough.
FWIW: I still have my H7 an enjoy them very much straight from an iphone8. As far I‘ve ben told, the source doesn’t matters that much, as it is the DAC and Amp in the headphones, which determinates the quality and sound level you’ll hear. So bottom line: I rarely listen to above 60-70% and that is loud enough - even with the EU cap, if present....But I do appreciate that Sonic Defender likes very loud music😉

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #1,614 of 1,671
Guys, they announced H 95.

I am not sure, but as i understand they will sell first 95 limited units, after sep. 10 they will sell regular ones.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/headphones/beoplay-h95
Yep, looks like the difference is just they're engraved. It looks like all version will have an aluminum carrying case. They look pretty cool. Interesting, but at $800, not sure I'm THAT interested! LOL!

Special Engraved Edition
Be among the first to experience Beoplay H95 with our online exclusive edition. The limited edition of 95, features an engraved number, from 01 to 95 representing each year of existence.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,615 of 1,671
Now for me most important question is; is there a EU volume limit on H95 and if so can it be turned off?

Maybe 800 USD is for limited ones and after 10. Sep. the regulars are will be more reasonable price.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #1,616 of 1,671
800$ USD is quite steep for a B&O can, id rather get the Focal Elegia at that point. i do love my H6gen2 but wished they brought another H6gen3 with the 95s look. would be awesome.

i use a Dap regardless for my music and never use my mobile. so wired for me would be ok, however wireless also for when i want to content consume on my phone would be useful also.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #1,618 of 1,671
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share a small update. After my 4th or 5th (I honestly lost count) issue with a H9i, I contacted B&O customer service once again. They were very helpful and understanding, and offered to swap my H9i for a H9 3rd gen. I agreed with the offer, since I completely lost trust in getting a fully working H9i ever again. The issue with my last H9i was that every now and then the headphone wouldn't turn off. If you'd turn the switch, it would stay on as if you hadn't touched it. Anyways, the story with the H9i is over now, and I've been trying out the H9 3rd gen for a few days now and I thought you'd be interested in some of my findings

- H9 3rd gen definitely has a more comfortable headband and slightly more comfortable earcups (even though I didnt have any issues with the H9i's earcups)

- ANC is slightly better, but more importantly: the sound with ANC on doesn't change nearly as much as with the H9i; I'd go as far as saying that there's barely any difference anymore between ANC on or off. This is the biggest plus between the 2 models in my opinion.

-The soundstage is rich, but more neutral than the H9i's. I had gotten so used to the H9i's punchy and vibrant sound that my ears had to adjust to the more neutral H9 3rd gens. But after listening to them for quite a few days now, it makes me realize how fatiguing the H9i's brightness could be for my ears from time to time. I can listen to the 3rd gens for many more hours without any problem.

-Didn't notice any difference with regards to the touch controls, they respond exactly the same as on the H9i's in my experience

-The app is (still) finicky

That's it basically. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Just to add that this absolutely reflects my perception too, after B&O replaced my H9i with the H9 3rd Gen.

Story: the H9i whistled when switched on until I turned the ANC off. Not really a problem for me as I used them with ANC off 99% of the time, and the whistle did fade after time. However, I feel the H95s calling, so I asked B&O about this. I would have (had) to sell them and I don't like selling things with a known possible fault. Anyway, after some email discussion, B&O asked me to return them (still just within guarantee) and a few days later they confirmed they would swap them for the 3rd Gen. Great service. Really impressed. They arrived 2 working days later.

In addition to what Demis mentions, I find the sound more coherent maybe, with a stronger bass (not too strong), but also less spacious and bright. Bright on the H9i was not always nice.

The ANC on the 3G is much, much better - less 'pressure' and I sometimes have to check the app to seee if it's on or off. I could alweays tell with the H9i.

I find the touch controls slightly easier to feel on the H9i (the 3G has a slightly different chamfer) but this could be a question of muscle memory.

The on/off switch is now ridged, which I don't recall on the H9i and the cover plates are grey rather than silver.

The mic is still good.

I'm keeping the 3rd Gen for the moment (unless the H95 drops in price by a couple of hundred euros or I see a good secondhand deal).

For reference, I also have the Dali io-6, which I also like. I previously owned the Sennheiser Momentum 2 (too thumpy (bass) and uncomfortable) and PXC 550 (a bit boring and plasticy), B&W P7 wireless (too much bass for me - unbearable after 5 minutes) and PX (too tight on my head! - those things really hurt), Parrot Zik v1 (heavy, short battery life, bit uncomfortable but not bad).

Cheers,
Alastair

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,619 of 1,671
Guys

I need h9i ve H9 (3gen) just sound comparison.

I know it is already in the topic even maybe more than one time but, i couldn't find.

I would be very thankful if anyone could help.

I quote my own post.

I sold my h9i. H9i is bright and shiny, which i like it as a metalhead. But lack of subs is too big even for me.

Now i look h9 (3rd) if some one consider to sell, pm me :)

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #1,620 of 1,671
The sliding switch on the Gen3 fails as well, and the white L & R stickers flake off

I got a replacement set under warranty. They looked pretty ratty for 11 months old. Not what you expect from B&O. And no I don’t fling them around or sit on them. They just don’t hold up well to daily use it seems.

Yep, B&O software is terrible, and the standard response from B&O support is - reinstall the app. Investigative work at its finest.

I’m considering getting the Airpods max as the software and integration are flawless by comparison. B&O are not a software company, and boy does it show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back