B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Apr 4, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #1,636 of 1,671
Hi, I am asking this question for another Head-fi Member from Italy. @paglioz
- Is it possible to get a cable with a 4.4mm connector to run the H9i in balanced mode (with ANC OFF!) ??? (He has an Ibasso DX160 and wants to see if the H9i sounds better from the balanced output.)
Thanks for any help/ideas.
This is also my doubt, since EBay and AliExpress actually sell some balanced cable to Beoplay H series.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,637 of 1,671
Just bought a steal of a deal on the H9 3rd gen. Magnolia clerk had one pair left. $150 less than Amazon. They sound really good. Volume could use a boost. Comfort? Seems fine. I don’t have time to have them on more than 3 hours and if they start hurting I take them off. I don’t start running with a 10 mile run either. Takes time to build up comfort. These sound leagues better than APM, PX7, PX, APP, and anything Beats.

May 20, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,638 of 1,671
Leagues better than the APM? To my ears it’s the opposite. Out of the box, the APM sounds like the Gen3 with some eq but goes MUCH louder. The APM with some eq completely blows the Gen3 out of the water, imo. APM is also waaaaay nicer to use on a regular basis.

May 20, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,639 of 1,671
Leagues better than the APM? To my ears it’s the opposite. Out of the box, the APM sounds like the Gen3 with some eq but goes MUCH louder. The APM with some eq completely blows the Gen3 out of the water, imo. APM is also waaaaay nicer to use on a regular basis.
In no world where reality exists is the APM louder than the H9i 3rd Gen. I can understand if you like the SQ more on the APM's. I just didn't vibe with their sound and the lack of volume also impacted that...

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,640 of 1,671
You said H9 in your OP. H9 and H9i aren't the same thing. In any case, the APM is definitely louder than the H9. I haven't listened to the 9i, so can't comment on that. My H4s are louder than my H9. The H9 is just volume limited....otherwise they distort. They can go very loud with a cable but you have to wind the bass back a fair chunk.

The H9 is a very good set, but take both out of the box with their default EQ, the APM is definitely the clearer, less restrained of the two. EQ improves both drastically but the APM is louder, a lot louder, and also doesn't distort as easily as the H9. The APM also has zero difference in sound signature between ANC and Transparency, unlike the H9. In fact, you can have the APMs half hanging off your ears the sound is the same. That's the difference between active DSP and not. APM's transparency is the best in the business, as is the ANC.

I haven't picked up my H9s once since getting the APMs 3 months ago, and I LOVED my H9s. Something newer and better simply cast them aside, such is the way with tech.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,641 of 1,671
Good for you! I have the H9 3rd Gen. They are louder and sound better than APM at 1/3 of the price. They are more versatile and I can’t tell one benefit other than spatial audio that is better about the APM. But now we’re getting nowhere. I’m happy you’re enjoying your APM. Wish I would have as well.

May 23, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #1,642 of 1,671
Yes good for me:L3000:
Oh so you do have the H9 and not H9i then, make your mind up :smile:
I'm also pleased you like your H9s. They are a great pair of headphones. It wasn't meant to be a battle. I just feel the APMs have the edge, in my opinion and for the music I listen to :slight_smile:

May 23, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,643 of 1,671
Yes good for me:L3000:
Oh so you do have the H9 and not H9i then, make your mind up :smile:
I'm also pleased you like your H9s. They are a great pair of headphones. It wasn't meant to be a battle. I just feel the APMs have the edge, in my opinion and for the music I listen to :slight_smile:
I know, it's just my personality - or character flaw! I woke up early today to get in some listening and news reading before the family woke up. Glad for my purchase but still wondering if APM needed more time in my home...LOL

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #1,644 of 1,671
Nah, APM only have souless sound. The anc is on pair with sony, but I never like the sound. Also, it need Iphone to get all of the feature. Moreover, it look ridiculous.
Btw, H9i is a great pair of headphone. I heard someone said that the newest pair only sound 10% than the H9i without the rechargeable battery, so I went for the H9i.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #1,645 of 1,671
Felt the same way but I sure wanted to like them. I love my H9 3rd Gen. Can't find much on the H9i out there. I thought I'd share my thoughts on the Apple Music release of Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio. Also soulless. Sounds different and a little better than their past offering but when you go to Tidal on the same track the Tidal release is significantly better. Volume is limited on Apple Music, too, which inhibits the detail retrieval. I was at about 60% on my H9's and there were immediate details lost on Apple and found on Tidal. How Apple believes this is the 'next wave' of music is beyond me.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #1,646 of 1,671
Just returned my H9 Gen 3s, for the second time in as many years. This time for a refund as I'm done with them. Same reason as the first set, the power switch leaves the headphones on and connected to a device, in spite of being slid to 'off'. No amount of factory resets solved the issue.

I tried some HX in the store as I considered a swap, but other than B&O ditching the stupid slide switch, I found no other compelling reasons to swap, so pocketed the money instead.

I have almost 20 year old Besound 8000 and BeoLab 2 speakers that still work flawlessly, but they can't make a set of 'premium' headphones last more than a year. Disappointing to say the least.

It's not just B&O but so many companies are building products to a price rather than a standard these days, especially in the automotive and consumer electronics world. It's making me appreciate more & more what I currently have that's reliable and enjoyable, rather than chasing the drip fed updates every year.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,647 of 1,671
Just returned my H9 Gen 3s, for the second time in as many years. This time for a refund as I'm done with them. Same reason as the first set, the power switch leaves the headphones on and connected to a device, in spite of being slid to 'off'. No amount of factory resets solved the issue.

I tried some HX in the store as I considered a swap, but other than B&O ditching the stupid slide switch, I found no other compelling reasons to swap, so pocketed the money instead.

I have almost 20 year old Besound 8000 and BeoLab 2 speakers that still work flawlessly, but they can't make a set of 'premium' headphones last more than a year. Disappointing to say the least.

It's not just B&O but so many companies are building products to a price rather than a standard these days, especially in the automotive and consumer electronics world. It's making me appreciate more & more what I currently have that's reliable and enjoyable, rather than chasing the drip fed updates every year.
Well, that stinks. I use mine daily and haven't had one bit of an issue. Ever. Guess I'm lucky.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,648 of 1,671
As do I. 9-10 hours a day, every day. The L & R ear cup lettering fell off my first set as well. They are just cheap iron on stickers.

I also face condensation build ups in the APM now that winter has arrived :smile: So £450 ($612 US) H9s with bad switches and £550 ($749 US) that keep wetting themselves. Awesome work guys.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,649 of 1,671
Hi guys! This is my first post here. I've been reading around when getting my pair of H9i and was feeling that my ears touched the right driver. I fixed that by fitting H9 ear cushions. They've been super comfortable with one exception: the headband. I haven't even realised how comfortable they could be until using a pair of Portals and then trying on my girlfriend's HXs. They are both waaay better than my H9i in the headband department.
Now I'm thinking to take apart the headband and try to put new, better cushions. Has anyone ever seen a disassembled headband? Is it actually stitched together or glued? Or both? I was thinking of taking it apart myself, getting cushions and then going to a shoemaker to stitch it back up.
Am I crazy or could this work?

I found these online but not sure about the quality...

H9eaa5c75d52141509c098b5398c9b9213.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #1,650 of 1,671
Hi guys! This is my first post here. I've been reading around when getting my pair of H9i and was feeling that my ears touched the right driver. I fixed that by fitting H9 ear cushions. They've been super comfortable with one exception: the headband. I haven't even realised how comfortable they could be until using a pair of Portals and then trying on my girlfriend's HXs. They are both waaay better than my H9i in the headband department.
Now I'm thinking to take apart the headband and try to put new, better cushions. Has anyone ever seen a disassembled headband? Is it actually stitched together or glued? Or both? I was thinking of taking it apart myself, getting cushions and then going to a shoemaker to stitch it back up.
Am I crazy or could this work?

I found these online but not sure about the quality...

H9eaa5c75d52141509c098b5398c9b9213.jpg
I actually ended up returning the H9i headphones due to discomfort.
Managed to find a set of new H4 first gen for 150€.

Sooooo much more comfortable that I can actually wear them all day at work and then still when I get home.

Out of an Ifi iDsd black they sound extremely nice.
Really don’t miss ANC and at work wireless they aren’t bad.

Slightly more bass that the H9i which makes them fun, not quite as detailed when wireless but not far off.
And when amped they are better than the H9i in my opinion.

Build quality is the only negative along with micro USB port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back