B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #1,651 of 1,671
Hi guys! This is my first post here. I've been reading around when getting my pair of H9i and was feeling that my ears touched the right driver. I fixed that by fitting H9 ear cushions. They've been super comfortable with one exception: the headband. I haven't even realised how comfortable they could be until using a pair of Portals and then trying on my girlfriend's HXs. They are both waaay better than my H9i in the headband department.
Now I'm thinking to take apart the headband and try to put new, better cushions. Has anyone ever seen a disassembled headband? Is it actually stitched together or glued? Or both? I was thinking of taking it apart myself, getting cushions and then going to a shoemaker to stitch it back up.
Am I crazy or could this work?

I found these online but not sure about the quality...

H9eaa5c75d52141509c098b5398c9b9213.jpg
Judging from the H6 -- I own one, and sadly my headband is splitting near the right earcup. Right where the padding ends the headband is actually no longer stitched in that area, it's just glued on. I do see that you can essentially pry it up, maybe disassemble it and whatnot? There is a metal band inside of the headband, so at least the actual part itself won't just die on me that soon... but I did recently see a "For Parts or Not Working" listing of a Beoplay H6, with the entire left side detached from the headband, left band cover + metal arm and all.

I'd honestly would like to purchase one of those replacement covers, I'd wanna see how a pink one would pair with a black H6. But the H6 has a different headband, they simplified the curve over the years to just a simple straight line starting with the H7/H8 instead of a more ergonomic curvature to the headband with the H6.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #1,653 of 1,671
Hi guys! This is my first post here. I've been reading around when getting my pair of H9i and was feeling that my ears touched the right driver. I fixed that by fitting H9 ear cushions. They've been super comfortable with one exception: the headband. I haven't even realised how comfortable they could be until using a pair of Portals and then trying on my girlfriend's HXs. They are both waaay better than my H9i in the headband department.
Now I'm thinking to take apart the headband and try to put new, better cushions. Has anyone ever seen a disassembled headband? Is it actually stitched together or glued? Or both? I was thinking of taking it apart myself, getting cushions and then going to a shoemaker to stitch it back up.
Am I crazy or could this work?

I found these online but not sure about the quality...

H9eaa5c75d52141509c098b5398c9b9213.jpg
Any idea how these are fitted? I've seen neoprene alternatives with a zip, but these sleeves look like you'd need to remove one side of the headphones in order to slide it on.

Also, they are described as replacements. Anyone know if it can be slipped over the original headband to add more padding?

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,654 of 1,671
I'm still hanging on to my H9 3gen's. Sound great, watch movies and stream music around the house. They sound even better wired and with either a Bluetooth dac/amp or dongle used passively. Very versatile headphone and I can't see the reason to give them up. The leather stitching is outstanding, great comfort to my head/ears.

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,655 of 1,671
After years of daily use, my headband of my H9i seems to be falling apart, see picture. Anybody with advise how this could best be repaired? Still very happy with it.

Attachments

• 2a8eadb6-15de-4a1f-a5b5-898bc467e1d8.jpg
    2a8eadb6-15de-4a1f-a5b5-898bc467e1d8.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 22, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #1,657 of 1,671
After years of daily use, my headband of my H9i seems to be falling apart, see picture. Anybody with advise how this could best be repaired? Still very happy with it.
FWIW: Maybe you have tried, but can't you glue it?

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,658 of 1,671

Very interesting, it's the first time I see this happening on a Beoplay H7/8/9/9i/9 3rd Gen (which all basically have the same headband design).

Unfortunately with newer headphones with new style headband design (H95, HX, Portal) there are already several cases of this happening, really not good :frowning2:

I'd probably just try to glue it :-/

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #1,659 of 1,671
Very interesting, it's the first time I see this happening on a Beoplay H7/8/9/9i/9 3rd Gen (which all basically have the same headband design).

Unfortunately with newer headphones with new style headband design (H95, HX, Portal) there are already several cases of this happening, really not good :frowning2:

I'd probably just try to glue it :-/

I indeed just fixed it with glue and it seems to be holding on quite well. I bought B&O and specifically the H9i model because of its maintainability (being able to replace the battery & the ear cushions), so happy I managed to fixed it this way. I use it 8+ hours a day for calls/music, so it does get its usage.

Disappointing to hear there is a drop in production quality with the newest models, would have been my go-to if I ever need to replace it.

Aug 8, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,660 of 1,671
I was hunting some deal in Momentum 4, but I find a H9 3rd new at amazon for 180 USD tax included ¿It is better than a Momentum 4 for 300?

I really like the look of H9, but I don't know if it is equal to Momentum 4 in sound quality.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,661 of 1,671
I was hunting some deal in Momentum 4, but I find a H9 3rd new at amazon for 180 USD tax included ¿It is better than a Momentum 4 for 300?

I really like the look of H9, but I don't know if it is equal to Momentum 4 in sound quality.

It's close. I'd personally but a pair if it was available here in Europe new for that price!

Not to mention build quality, H9 3rd Gen are amazing. Momentum 4 build quality is just mediocre.

Aug 8, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,662 of 1,671
It's close. I'd personally but a pair if it was available here in Europe new for that price!

Not to mention build quality, H9 3rd Gen are amazing. Momentum 4 build quality is just mediocre.
I preferred the B&O to the Momentum 3, but I've not tried the M4. I personally really like the H9 3G, and that would be a very tempting price to me. Worst case, could you resell for close to that price?

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,665 of 1,671

BANG & OLUFSEN BEOPLAY H9 3RD​

Bang & Olfsen Beoplay H9 3rd Generation via Drop online store. I’ve never owned this brand. I’m wondering how they hold up sound wise in 2023? I know there are newer versions. But the refurb price on these make me wonder if it is worth adding these to my bookcase full of headphones?

I do remember years ago listened to a B&O headphone at an Apple Store. Loved the design and materials, but the sound seem kind of flat. Online I’m finding reviews that seem to not to excited about the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back