B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #1,576 of 1,671
Don't mind the cable that much, and would rather not have to charge the headphones to use them.
Also if using wireless they cannot be connected to an amplifier. Not sure if they could be connected to a DAC either.
Want to use them strictly as passive wired desktop headphones.

I didn't choose this model for it's wireless/ANC/etc. features, but for the sound. Unfortunately I could not test all the headphones I wanted, and these were the best of the ones I could.
The other options were V Moda M100 but they have a bass port so semi open, Fostex TH-X00 but shipping them outside the US would have incurred import duties, Mobius were more expensive and did not like the sound.
The Mobius do have an app that I could not test in the store.
Audioquest are expensive, not sure if I have the right app/dac for them, have to buy them to test.

I am not into wired headphones at all, but I am 100% sure that for the price point of the H9i or H9 3rd there a multitude of better sounding wired headphones available if you don't care about bluetooth and ANC at all.
Buying the H9 series for wired use is like buying a luxury motoryacht to compete in a motorboat race. Sure it will also arrive at the goal and like pretty doing it, but it is simply designed for an entirely different use case (where it is really good at).

Can't say there were obvious sound alterations from H9i pads to H7 pads. But just try it out?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #1,577 of 1,671
Buying the H9 series for wired use is like buying a luxury motoryacht to compete in a motorboat race. Sure it will also arrive at the goal and like pretty doing it, but it is simply designed for an entirely different use case
Gotta agree with this. The H6 is wired, is also an on-ear headphone and can be had for like 3 times less the price of a H9. Just sayin

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #1,578 of 1,671
Well the H9 goes considerably louder with a cable, that’s for sure! The internal amp isn’t bad though.

I bought the H9 for ANC/Wireless but I have to use a wire when playing video games because of Sony’s annoying move to not support BT audio on the PS4.

The fact it can run with or without a cable just adds to the H9’s appeal imo. Some other brands won’t work with a cable whilst charging and/or the battery is flat, or when they’re switched off.

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #1,580 of 1,671
Gotta agree with this. The H6 is wired, is also an on-ear headphone and can be had for like 3 times less the price of a H9. Just sayin

I've done extensive research, or at least as much as you can do on the internet. Locally only a few are available and fewer to test.
The price of the H6 locally is almost twice as high as on amazon.
Got the H9i's in a package with a Mojo at the price of the H9 3rd gen MSRP. Don't think I can send just one back.

Was looking for a somewhat base heavy headphone. In this comparison the reviewer claims the H6 have the weakest base, and are neutral (link).

The base has been compared to the MSR7, which is not bad, but I would have liked more.

I was interested in the H6 2nd gen which apparently have more base, but could not find them.
B&O also does not sell replacement pads for either H6.

Is there any information as to the depth of the H6? Are the H7 pads compatible?

Listened to all the models available, MSR7, M50x, ATH990Z, Meze 99C and Neo, NAD HP70, Sennheiser URBANITE, 280/300PRO (own the 380PRO), as well as many other Sennheisers (closed and open).
The CAL's have thin pads.

Could not find 1more Triple-Driver locally. The M audio HDH50 are more analytical than the Q40's (haven't listened).

I wish I would not have to pay for the ANC/wireless and extras, but these were the best I could find.
The H4 don't have replaceable pads.

The Fostex TR-X00 are really the only ones I'm still interested in.
I may try the Fostex line even though they are semi open, or some of them.

I used to have a pair of Ultrasone HFI550, now have DJ1 Pro and will probably get the 580i's next.

Made a thread here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/clo...ass-emphasis-headphone-recommendation.900071/

Any model I missed? I'll probably have to go over 500$ or even 1K$ for an upgrade.

LE: so what about the other inquires in the other post?
EQ for the alleged sibilance.
Windows app.
What options are there for a Bluetooth connected device? Just output sound?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,581 of 1,671
Yeah that's another thing I REALLY don't understand. I have never needed more than 80% volume from my H9i in the last 2 years, even when flying. In fact, >80% volume (via BT from IPhone) simply hurts my ears. Y'all are deafWith

It depends what volume level the original source track was recorded at. I have some music from the 80s which is a good 30-40% quieter than an iTunes purchase. Modern recordings are plenty loud enough as you say.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,582 of 1,671

This. If you want wired headphones, then go buy some wired headphones!

I was looking for the best wired noise cancelling headphones that had a replaceable battery, but couldn't find any except for one Bose model that didn't get very good reviews. I ended up with the H9i and couldn't be happier even though I almost never use the Bluetooth feature.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,583 of 1,671
It seems my location is not on the country list that the H7 pads can be ordered.

I could not find the H7 pads anywhere else, is there another alternative store that has the H7 pads?

Or how could the pads be delivered to a country that is not on the list?

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #1,588 of 1,671
I really hope B&O will step up with their offer. I LOVE their design and build - would throw extra money just for that, no one makes better looking headphones. I LOVE their sound - it perfectly fits my taste :) But as for now their only headphones i can use and own are H4 - they're light, pads are soft and deep enough (although I would be happy if they had a tad bigger diameter), and can listen to them for long periods - terrific set of cans. However H7/9/9i/9v3 have always had some major issues, mostly related to comfort for me. For that reason I also own XM3s from sony. as ANC on them is dope :) too bad you cannot get real leather pads for sonys.

Would love to get 'one for all' set from B&O, but for now it's H4 for daily and XM3 for travel.

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #1,589 of 1,671
Hi all.

I just bought H9i, my first B&O headphones, and I am slightly dissapointed.

First major issue, I believe these headphones are not for people with big ears/earlobes. My earlobes are slightly bigger than most, and these cans don't cover all of my ears, so they rest on my earlobes. This makes them uncomfortable, and hurts my ears.

Second thing is distinct hiss during ANC function being on. Something like a "white noise" sound, but I don't know if this is just a disadvantage to ANC, because my wife swears she doesn't hear anything.

Anyone had similar issues? Any advice, before I just gave up and send them back? I like basically everything about these phones, but I spend hours working with my phones on, so comfortability is a big factor....

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,590 of 1,671
Well comfort is subjective, and if you find the ear cushions are too small for you, there's nothing we/you can do.

You may want to try the H4: slightly cheaper, no ANC (do you need it?), but bigger and plusher ear cushions.

Re white noise, more or less all the ANC headphones make it. What other ANC headphones have you got? What did you like about the H9i's sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back