B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Feb 3, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #527 of 1,671
Same slightly tight fit as the GoCase. That is why I returned the GoCase and bought two of these. Half price and actually a nicer case imho

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #528 of 1,671
Okay, today was the first time I actually took them outside, had to go downtown to do a bit of shopping. It's a 20 min. bus ride downtown and I must say that the ANC works pretty well for that. No, it doesn't cut out all noise, but it cuts out quite a bit and made it a joy to listen to the podcast I was listening to. There might be a very slight vacuum effect, but it's absolutely nothing compared to the QC35. So, big thumps up for using them on bus rides.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #529 of 1,671
Most of the reviews are bad... especially about the sound

Good : https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Reviews/bang-and-olufsen-beoplay-h9-review

Bad : http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/b-o-play-beoplay-h9-p36411/test.html (french)

Bad : http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/3/14495606/beoplay-h9-review-wireless-noise-canceling-headphones 

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #530 of 1,671
I have seen at least one danish test and it was quite positive about the sound quality: http://www.lydogbillede.dk/test/hovedtelefoner/beoplay-h9/

What most of them say is the ANC not being as good as Bose and Sony. The danish review linked above, says the ANC is less effective, but it's also much more "subtle" (not sure that's the best term) and it's a matter of taste which you prefer. Having owned the QC35 for a while before I sold them to get these, I must say I prefer the H9's, but I guess it also matters on your use case.

In the end, each review is simply one persons impression and what really matters is whether you like it.

I find the review at The Verge to be a bit odd. He first mentions that he haven't personally tried/testet the Bose QC35, but later in the review he starts comparing them to the H9
confused_face(1).gif
Yes, I know he collected info about the QC35 from colleagues, but still...

They're not perfect, nothing is, but so far I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #531 of 1,671
The french website has put only 3 stars for the H9 but 4 stars for the H7 and 5 stars for H8. I think this website sucks, they did a lot of mistake mesuring my laptop screen, or other too...

H9 : http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/b-o-play-beoplay-h9-p36411/test.html

H7 : http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/b-o-play-h7-p29095/test.html

H8 : http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/b-o-play-beoplay-h8-p23611/test.html

5 stars for the H8 ? really

Edit : Oh they changed it : only 4 stars now for the H8, I told them maybe... wow

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #533 of 1,671
  Most of the reviews are bad... especially about the sound

Good : https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Reviews/bang-and-olufsen-beoplay-h9-review

Bad : http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/b-o-play-beoplay-h9-p36411/test.html (french)

Bad : http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/3/14495606/beoplay-h9-review-wireless-noise-canceling-headphones 

Thanks for the reviews.

But I wouldn't pay any attention to them, good or bad. None whatsoever.

Because you can read reviews of any Bluetooth headphones on the market....and some reviewer will hate them, while another loves them.

Just today, I read a review of the Sony 1000x Bluetooth headphones in Digital Trends....it's title? "The Best Noise-Canceling Wireless Headphones That You Can Buy." I read it - and wow, it was a wildly positive review....so much so, I dropped by BB and tried 'em out. 

First of all, this so-called 'silence' Sony NC is supposed to create...nope. I clearly heard audio demos playing throughout the store. And the music? Cardboard. Like a loud TV speaker. Bass? No way were they in the same zip code as the H9s.

Plus - the absolute kiss of death: They creaked. Yes. The head-turning 'creak.' I had that with Denon's noise-canceling wireless headphones....never again. 

The only thing I loved about them? Put your hand over the right earcup, and the NC turns off. Drop your hand and it goes back on.  Loved that.

Again, I appreciate the links to the reviews. But here's the question to every H9 owner: Do YOU like 'em?

That's the only review that means anything at all. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #534 of 1,671
He is right. In the end what matters is what you make of it. In March I will have to take the plane for about 3 hours, and there I will also test the anc vs its most important adversary: noise (already tested them in the underground with a great satisfaction). Up to now I enjoy them especially before sleep as I run through my collection and can make out most of the detail behind a music piece. I t reassures me that although expensive the h9 is not only well built and a modern piece of equipment, but also a performant one.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #535 of 1,671
Thanks for the reviews.

But I wouldn't pay any attention to them, good or bad. None whatsoever.

Because you can read reviews of any Bluetooth headphones on the market....and some reviewer will hate them, while another loves them.

Just today, I read a review of the Sony 1000x Bluetooth headphones in Digital Trends....it's title? "The Best Noise-Canceling Wireless Headphones That You Can Buy." I read it - and wow, it was a wildly positive review....so much so, I dropped by BB and tried 'em out. 

First of all, this so-called 'silence' Sony NC is supposed to create...nope. I clearly heard audio demos playing throughout the store. And the music? Cardboard. Like a loud TV speaker. Bass? No way were they in the same zip code as the H9s.

Plus - the absolute kiss of death: They creaked. Yes. The head-turning 'creak.' I had that with Denon's noise-canceling wireless headphones....never again. 

The only thing I loved about them? Put your hand over the right earcup, and the NC turns off. Drop your hand and it goes back on.  Loved that.

Again, I appreciate the links to the reviews. But here's the question to every H9 owner: Do YOU like 'em?

That's the only review that means anything at all. 

EXACTLY

As I have posted a little while back - I wanted a pair of cans for the airplane. I demoed and had in house the QC35-MX1000-B&W P7W and B&O H9

The P7W had the best sound - however on the plane they we're useless. Bose - 5 seconds and AWFUL. Sony - better on the plane however the sound- not impressed at all.
H9 - best sound of the three ANC ones (B&W P7 does not have ANC) and two trips on the airplane with no complaints

I am very happy - and bought a second pair for my wife

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #536 of 1,671
I have been using them while commuting the past few days, I think the ANC cuts down the amount of background noise noticeably(I keep swiping my finger up and down the touch zone to compare, heh), but it doesn't completely drowns out everything out there - the droning of the bus/trains are noticeably cut down but I still hear announcements/bells, which I want to be able hear(the announcements/bells) so I'm not complaining. I haven't use the Bose or Sony in commuting scenario so I cannot say for sure how they compare under similar circumstances but I'd imagine the ANC of the H9 being similar to Sony's ANC with ambient mode(could be wrong)?

In any case, having only used IEM for commuting the last decade or so, the ANC here blocks out noise far better than anything I have had before making it alot easier to enjoy my music. These are also very comfortable to wear, I had no problem keeping them on throughout my journey, I now use them at home for hours without issue as well. The "touchpad" while not perfect, works relatively well enough that I have since stopped taking my iPhone out to switch or pause songs. Will be flying in March, will see how well it performs in planes then. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #537 of 1,671
Hello,

I've been using some PSB M4U2 for a while and appreciate them even if from the moment I had them, they had some trouble. They were gifted to me by a generous member here as 1 side wasn't working and I managed to fix the wire inside the left side that had shorted, but they also kept sounding slightly recessed on that side compared to the right side.

I've now grown able to offer me some luxury and even thought I liked the sound of the M4U2 and self amp feature for when I use them only with my S7 edge, I wanted to go wireless. So last monday, I ordered some H5 thinking the small IEM would be great for various situation and maybe even some training.  Sadly after trying them for under 15 minutes, I couldn't bear them at all. I have very small ear canal (kid sized from what the audiologist told me) and have trouble wearing them even with the small sized tip. The mids and high seemed great, but the bass was also almost unheard, the wire between the 2 iem transmit some strong signal to each side with the lightest rub and during the 15 minutes I was trying them, I had constant quick but annoying stutter, kinda of micro disconnect a fraction of a second, at least once per minute.

Considering I knew I have never felt right with IEM but wanted to give it a try I wasn't surprised about the trouble I face and will be getting rid of them next week. But I'm here again, looking for something with the best sound quality I can get while being wireless and was wondering how you'd compare the H9 with the M4U2 and H5 since I experienced both. The ANC isn't an absolute must and if you have some other model with better sound quality that come up your mind, feel free to tell me about them. There's no merchant demo'ing B&O headphone so I pretty much rely on feedback from people and I think here is the nicest and most knowledgeable community about this.

Thank you :)

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #538 of 1,671
Having a bit of fun before I watch the Superbowl.

In Starbucks, doing a wireless headphone shootout. Testing overall ANC as well as musical qualities.

Disclaimer - I do like a good hard-hitting bass. If the artist calls for a sub hit - I want to hear it. As much as I enjoy my HIFIMAN 400is, there's no such thing as a sub hit in those headphones, even with a good amp.

Demo: True Disaster by Tove Lo, Cut Snake remix. Lots of dynamic range...lots of sound elements coming in from all over the soundstage. Streaming via Google Play music on a 2016 Dell XPS15.

First up, my treasured Definitive Technology Symphony Ones. Bluetooth aptX, ANC and an over-the-ear design. They sound phenomenal. Great sound. The ANC is good....not a veil of silence, but good. Amazing headphones.

Second, let's try the trusty H8s. Again, phenomenal sound. LOTS of bass from these bad boys, even with the on-ear design. Tight, fat bass that shoots WAY low when the song calls for it. And so musical....sizzling highs and crunchy mids. Nice. These headphones are flipping amazing. One thing though - an occasional, like once every 2", lightning-fast dropout in the BT connection. Didn't happen with the Symphony Ones. Plus, ANC - not as quiet as the Symphony Ones. Good, but not great.

OK here comes the H9 test. OK first - most comfortable of all of them. But - I had the volume down, and had to circle the cup for like, 4 minutes before it responded....finally I have the volume up, and the test begins again.

Compared to the DTs and H8s....they definitely hold their own. Solid bass hits in the opening kick drum, and then throws down really low when the bass guitar comes in. All in all, a wonderful soundstage, and very musical. The ANC was about as good as the H8s. Good, but not silence, and the DTs had a slight edge. Slight. 

Happy to report there were no losers. Every pair of headphones was stellar. The H9s were the most comfortable. 

Now back home - in time for the kickoff!

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #540 of 1,671
But - I had the volume down, and had to circle the cup for like, 4 minutes before it responded....finally I have the volume up, and the test begins again.

I have found it difficult to use the touch controls with gloves, but I don't find that too surprising. I have also accidently had something else touch it and change number, so I think I might actually have preferred them to only work when touched by human skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back