Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Mar 6, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #751 of 856
The best digital sound I'd heard - given that I'm more of tubes/vinyl guy - was indeed a MSB system and an old Bow ZZ8 CDP.

Getting back to the Codex - for some reason when I'm playing a 24/96 file, the Codex display still shows 44 as sample rate. What could I be doing wrong in terms of setting, etc.?

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #752 of 856
i know. if you play a 192 file from pc it reads 44. if you select 192 in your software it reads 192. perhaps it is downsampling it?

also, the older cdps were much better. just like old turntables. both of these things had their heyday. everything is digital now. so with a motionless digital front end they are working on making very expensive music servers and pc's. that is where it is at now. i would be hard pressed to buy a new cdp. luckily dacs are still advancing. since they are a key part of where it is at now.

i hope they introduce a new codex. it is getting a little long in the tooth. oh, it still sounds great but technology is marching on. they may not be looking to step on the qx-5 twenty though. it would be nice to see a 9038 already.

funny, as we look back on vinyl and spinners one day we very well may look back at dacs. just as with the vinyl and spinners, blow the dust off the codex in 30 years and it shall still sound great. perhaps superior to what there is then. to me, things are moving in the wrong direction. away from sound quality and more toward convenience. the beautiful offshoot of this is you can buy lovely equipment used for zilch.

to just keep the codex is fine too. i have said time and again it's sound quality is amazingly in the top tier. i know i have sounded like a broken record about this but i know a bargain when i see one. everyone, go get yourself a codex!

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #753 of 856
  i know. if you play a 192 file from pc it reads 44. if you select 192 in your software it reads 192. perhaps it is downsampling it?

Hmm, playing via Roon...

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #754 of 856
Hmm, playing via Roon...

That is strange. I use roon and it reads 192, 96, etc correctly. The only thing I can think of is the max sample rate setting in audio menu may be limiting it back down to 44. Also, it is sometimes good to set another device as the default system sound device just so the OS isn't trying to mess with it.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #755 of 856
That is strange. I use roon and it reads 192, 96, etc correctly. The only thing I can think of is the max sample rate setting in audio menu may be limiting it back down to 44. Also, it is sometimes good to set another device as the default system sound device just so the OS isn't trying to mess with it.

thanks KmanChu. I toggled Roon for Exclusive Mode and now it's outputing correctly to Codex.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #756 of 856
i have asked this elsewhere with no answer. how can you output 32 bit audio to your dac in windows 10? it seems that it does not support it. you have to set windows sound to the highest which is 192/24 for exclusive access. however if you try to playback a file at 32 bits it will simply pop up with an error not supported. can windows 10 in fact support 32 bit audio and if so how?

edit: that is with wasapi. asio will output the highest the dac can handle including 32 bit. however with our consumer asio drivers we cannot adjust the bit rate. say you want to listen to 16. i am used to proifesional daw equipment where you can adjust the bit depth of the asio output.

i find it odd wasapi lets you adjust up to 24 but asio you take what you get. neither is perfect in that regard quite frankly. unless someone knows how you change the bit depth of asio other than in windows mixer. i find it odd windows will not do 32 natively. this is why we use asio for recording but our dac drivers are stripped down versions.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #757 of 856
  i have asked this elsewhere with no answer. how can you output 32 bit audio to your dac in windows 10?

My guess is that WASAPI was primarily designed to handle consumer audio formats (which are integer based) and that Microsoft assumed pros would use ASIO for applications which can output floating polnt.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #758 of 856
yes, asio output automatically plays at the highest bit depth the dac will accept but for consumer asio implementations no way to lower it. in pro applications you can adjust both the playback and recording per channel. however even wasapi will not allow 32 bit. windows does not support 32 bit. asio works around this. it is just a shame you cannot adjust it with consumer level drivers. sometimes i would want to listen to exact redbook quality.  there must be some aftermarket asio drivers that allow adjustment but i have yet to find them. the steinberg client interface will run but with very poor results through tusbasio. i guess they figure for the most part the highest is the best. which most often it is. it is a pain to see what asio drivers will run. i can strip them out of nuendo but they are unlikely to work properly. almost anything will play through tusbasio but most often with very poor results. it was not designed for this. which is mainly recording multi track audio. not playback. so it gets all messed up.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #759 of 856
I've a funny issue - either with Roon or jriver, the Codex plays Tidal fine, but as soon as I try to connect my external USB HD that contains my music files to my laptop, Codex stops playing music with "USB" in the display window. Wonder what's going on?

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #760 of 856
I'm not an expert but It sounds like something is happening with your USB bus in laptop when you connect multiple devices to the available ports. My suggestion is to try a reboot with all the device connected. If that doesn't work, try using a USB hub. What make and model laptop are you using? I would also check some of the other forums to see if your laptop has know issues with USB.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #761 of 856
I'm not an expert but It sounds like something is happening with your USB bus in laptop when you connect multiple devices to the available ports. My suggestion is to try a reboot with all the device connected. If that doesn't work, try using a USB hub. What make and model laptop are you using? I would also check some of the other forums to see if your laptop has know issues with USB.

I think you're right. I'm using Thinkpad X220, which is an older i5, with 16 GB RAM. I have one of those UltraBase stations to which I have the USB drive connected. Just tried rebooting to no avail. Ugh.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #763 of 856
Apr 23, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #764 of 856
there is a bug in the asio driver. at least here. it will not take exclusive control. plus wasapi is a astounding difference. i would say not subjective but very easily noticeable. which is a shame because coming from the music industry i prefer asio. either is fine though. so since wasapi is working much better on this i do not feel bad. it is a shame they do not update the drivers though. nonetheless it still sounds as good as it ever did. probably better now that i switched it to wasapi. i do not know if it is my pc or a broken driver to be honest. i cannot see how it could be my pc. it should either work or not. not have a difference in sound and not take exclusive access. strange. anyone else have this issue? i have the same thing on the ax-5 twenty so it is the driver or the pc not the hardware at least.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #765 of 856
Waiting for my Codex to arrive, hopefully by the end of next week. I have a balanced Silver Dragon cable terminated with 2 xlr 3 pins. Can I just buy two generic xlr to 3.5 mm adaptors in order to use it with the balanced out of the Codex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back