Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Mar 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #736 of 856
Thanks, music_man, you're an inspiration to me, taking the initiative to optimize USB playback despite your ailments! Bravo.

Poked around somewhat among the posts you had up. Seems that you'd recommend StarTech ST7300U3M hub / UpTone JS2 + AQ Jitterbug?

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #737 of 856
  Thanks, music_man! I've been just burning in 24/7 but already it has this bloom to certain recordings that I find very attractive for the types of music I listen to.

I don't have much DSD, mostly redbook and hi-rez PCMs from Linn Records, so not having 4x DSD is no deal killer for me.

A couple questions - you recommend a good hub/filter/lps/XLR cables - can you explain and also recommend me your personal choices? I'm just connecting my work PC/laptop to Codex via Wireworld Starlight Platinum 7 USBs, then out to my Z1R cans (currently thinking of rewiring balanced by Wireworld, to keep things synergistic). Shall I add Regen to the mix? Also don't understand how XLR cable fits into this chain. Plus I thought Codex already has linear power supply built in, but does an outboard LPS make it better? Please let me know if you ever do swap in 9038 Pro and see if there's discernible difference. But I have a good feeling about this DAC/amp as it is; will take it home once it's broken in to compare vs. Yggy.

Apologies for a ton of questions! =D

You should wait a few days to see what Uptone announces. Alex Crespi (@Superdad) has indicated that he will unveil their new ISO-Regen product this week, which purportedly combines galvanic isolation with USB reclocking. That - powered - by an Uptone LPS-1 - will give you a heck of a combination to isolate yourself from both the noisy PC, but also from ground leakage loops.

I currently use a combination of Intona and Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker to achieve the same, and it makes a huge difference in my system. The LPS-1 PSU in particular can be a game changer, IF it happens to root out a ground leakage loop at the location it's deployed.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #738 of 856

You should wait a few days to see what Uptone announces. Alex Crespi (@Superdad) has indicated that he will unveil their new ISO-Regen product this week, which purportedly combines galvanic isolation with USB reclocking. That - powered - by an Uptone LPS-1 - will give you a heck of a combination to isolate yourself from both the noisy PC, but also from ground leakage loops.

I currently use a combination of Intona and Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker to achieve the same, and it makes a huge difference in my system. The LPS-1 PSU in particular can be a game changer, IF it happens to root out a ground leakage loop at the location it's deployed.

Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely wait for the announcement. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #739 of 856
what is really doing it is the lps. if you can i highly recommend the js-2. i do not really like the rur but it is okay. i am very interested in the regen anouncement. they are going to differentiate these from hubs because right now people can go spend $50 if they know better. any hub chip reclocks but it has to have a good crystal. the 7 port startech i would not recommend as much as the 4 port. plus it is only $25. you then can disable vbus at the aq jb. that sounds very good. seriously though even my dedicated pc did not match the hardware music server with no usb conditioning! before you buy a js-2 you might want to just consider an aurender! i don't know.

thank you for nice words that i had so much trouble. it it seems absurd but my hands don't work. no problem though.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #740 of 856
  .. before you buy a js-2 you might want to just consider an aurender! i don't know.

At home, I have the Melco N1A feeding data to Schiit Yggy, but I did consider an Aurender before. I feel like I'm happy enough, used to be one of those hair-splitting audiophiles (especially on the vinyl side) but have since re-prioritized life :wink:

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #742 of 856
Haha, well, once run-in, will do a Pepsi Challenge: Codex v. Yggy. But even now, there's a great bloom to Codex playback I really like, and am not accustomed to via ESS Sabre chips. Color me impressed so far!

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #743 of 856
The Codex is best balanced. I noticed a huge difference single ended to balanced. Don't get me wrong it sounds real good single ended but it's at a different level balanced.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #744 of 856
Yeah, thanks for your input before on balanced headphone cables. Ordering balanced cables from Wireworld for the Z1Rs. If I ever do move the Codex to home, will go XLR into amp.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #746 of 856
melco is fine. aurender, melco pretty similar. the yiggy is not even close to the codex. don't mean to be a jerk either. that might even be subjective to some but objective to most. it is like a camaro vs a corvette to be perfectly fair. to be less fair, like a mustang vs a corvette lol.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #747 of 856
Haha, I'll do the A-B and report back. There is something weirdly attractive about the density of midrange via Yggy. As you can see from my signature, I'm more of a vintage guy than modern hi-fi...so there's a certain quality of playback I prioritize way more than others (e.g., I can care less about soundstaging/imaging etc.) At any rate, can't wait to pit Yggy vs. Codex!

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #748 of 856
  Haha, I'll do the A-B and report back. There is something weirdly attractive about the density of midrange via Yggy. As you can see from my signature, I'm more of a vintage guy than modern hi-fi...so there's a certain quality of playback I prioritize way more than others (e.g., I can care less about soundstaging/imaging etc.) At any rate, can't wait to pit Yggy vs. Codex!

Since you've got both, trust your own ears and ignore conjectures.

I recently did this comparison at a friend's, where we pitted my Codex against his Yggy. You can read about it here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/anyone-compared-ayre-codex-schiit-yggdrasil-29378/#post633966 Read some of the earlier posts in the thread too.

I cannot stress enough the points @cygnusx already mentioned, and some of my own:
  • Make sure you match volume levels to within 0.5dB. I know this is impossible to do, other than by ear, with headphones. In my experiment, we were using speakers, and we literally reversed our findings when we matched levels. I used a free app on my iPhone (Decibel 10th), but any SPL meter will work fine.
  • The Codex really really needs to burn in several hundred hours to sound its best
  • The Codex is at a whole different level when running balanced - so yes, XLR out to the amp is a must

I know this is a spoiler, but to my ears, the differences between the Yggy and the Codex were extremely subtle. You could be equally happy with either. I think this is generally true with good DACs today. If you hold everything else equal, the DAC differences are rather small. I hear much bigger differences between amps, and of course headphones. For me, DSD is very important, so that ruled out the Yggy.

YMMV.

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #749 of 856
Nice report! YMMV indeed, it's what makes life and music fun (and worthwhile).

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #750 of 856
indeed, austin. however he might have a thing there. if i preferred vinyl and tubes i might prefer yiggy. even though it is not nearly as competent a dac imo. i feel digital should be digital. not analog by any means. of course there is good digital and bad digital. right now i have dave in place up here still. i swear the codex is just as good. sure, they sound different so if you prefer chord than so be it. signature aside i just feel the codex is at least as good if not better. come on folks, dave is a 15 grannd dac! either chord really messed up or codex is all that. this is not the first time i did this either. the only dac in my home that slaughters the codex is the msb select loaded with dual bases. i think that says an awful lot. i am not kidding around or trying to be a jerk. this is solely my opinion. yes, the msb kills it. but almost everything else including the vivaldi is not too far off. true, i am comparing the codex to six figure dacs. to me it is pretty darn amazing. right now my advice is if you like digital get the codex. provide real good usb power and high end balanced cables. my opinion is you can't beat this until you get into some serious cash. that is,  if you like the sound. even the qx-5 twenty when the codex is set up right is not much better as a dac. the qx-5 twenty offers much more though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back