Awesome Mod: Use Shure Black Olive Foamies on Ultimate Ears Super.fi and/or Triple.fi
Oct 22, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #18 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by h4n9m4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wheres a good place to get the olive foamies for cheap? The foams I'm using are starting to get old and they aren't the most comfortable.

There really isn't one that I know of. $14 is the cheapest I've ever seen online for 5 pairs even through recommendation. I go with Amazon just to get the free shipping when I buy two packs.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 139
During the break, I discovered a really easy way to get the black olives onto my super.fi 3's:

1. Place the black olive tip-first onto a pair of needle nose pliers, aligning the base/end flush with the end of the pliers.

2. Carefully (but forcefully) open the pliers, stretching the black olive.

3. Transfer the pliers to one hand (or contrive some other means to hold the pliers open and have a hand free).

4. Insert the stem of the super.fi into the stretched black olive, and balance there.

5. Insert a pencil (or similar long thin object) into the jaws of the pliers, below the black olive with super.fi balanced on top.

6. Quickly raise the pencil upwards, "popping" the black olive off the pliers.

The black olive should now be firmly installed on the super.fi stem. The whole process takes less than half a minute per earpiece.

Those who are concerned about the safety of their super.fi's may want to seek a pair of pliers which don't have teeth on the inside face of the jaws (I just take care not to let the teeth contact the stem of the super.fi's). Also, the super.fi's can travel a bit when you pop the black olive off the pliers: plan accoridngly.

I'm pleased with the black olives. I'm not sure that they've improved the isolation or sound quality of the super.fi's, but they've definitely improved the comfort.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 139
Nov 26, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #22 of 139
If the UE foamies fit perfectly in my ears, which Shure ones would I need? Medium or large? What do you think? (I want to try this mod on my MylarOne
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #25 of 139
Just ordered a pack of medium olives. As of right now I'm actually using marshmallow tips with the ue foam plastic tubing inside of them on my sf5p. It's quite unique. I mean the fit I get is decent, could be better, but it is more comfortable than my biflanges (the only tips other than the foams that create a good seal in my ears). Hopefully I wont have too difficult of a time modding the olives to fit my sf5p. Either way I think it'll be worth it to have the olives on my sf5p, regardless of how difficult the process will be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #27 of 139
From all I read here i tried the following which works geat for me:
Take the olive and push down the foam part on the inner tube. use your nails or a small knive to cut the inner tube loose. Leave the olive for a couple of minutes to regain shape. After that put the olive foam - without tube - directly on the TripleFi stem. perfect match! A bit caution when putting in and out your ears, but NO problems so far, and great GREAT seal, comfort and sound!!!

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #28 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all I read here i tried the following which works geat for me:
Take the olive and push down the foam part on the inner tube. use your nails or a small knive to cut the inner tube loose. Leave the olive for a couple of minutes to regain shape. After that put the olive foam - without tube - directly on the TripleFi stem. perfect match! A bit caution when putting in and out your ears, but NO problems so far, and great GREAT seal, comfort and sound!!!

x2 thats what I did, except I put the tube from my original ue foamies inside the olives before I slipped them onto my sf5p. The process of removing the shure tube from the olives was slightly time consuming, but well worth it.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #29 of 139
I tried that too, but I doubt if it adds anything. I feel them more in the ear and I think the olive has more grip on the stem than the foamie tubes. Unless you perhaps glue them, which I did not. Did you?
But again, I don't think it makes a big difference.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #30 of 139
I did not glue them in, but for me the tubes just give me a placebo effect of hoping the olive tips dont stay in my ear as I take out the sf5p.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back