Avril LAvigne - Let Go - It's quite good actually
Jan 20, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
There is 2 songs on Kazaa by her where they sound like Country music!

Maybe this is why?

Quote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=17078
When country-pop star Shania Twain came through Ottawa in March 1999, she did what had been doing all along her Come On Over tour and invited the winner of a local radio-sponsored contest onstage for a duet. She couldn't have predicted that her guest that night, a then-unknown fourteen-year-old named Avril Lavigne from nearby Napanee, Ontario, would eventually challenge her for chart supremacy.

Jan 20, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 43
Hm.. I just listen to it because it sounds good to my ears. Would I be affected by her or her songs, most definitely not. Do I care about statements she make or comments/criticisms about her, I highly doubt it.

I don't like to bash artists/musician/singer I dislike because what doesn't sound good to me doesn't necessary be bad for others. If others like it, they must have their reasons (whatever it is i try to respect it, but it doesn't mean i agree with them). If I don't like the music, I will just move on and find something else i like. That's why we have choices.

That's just me, I listen to music for personal satisfactions, not to make a public annoucement about who i am.

Jan 20, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 43
Perhaps i'm just an arrogant elitist, but whenever i hear her songs, i am in phyical pain. Rock? ROCK! She's rock? Give me a screwing break, she's pop, she knows she pop, and she denies it. She claims to be a talented punk, who just wants to express herself, but she's merely a tool of the reccord companies. I'll stop now before i dig into the theories of the record industries wanting to take over the world
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #19 of 43
Is it me or is everyone here only talk about her attitude rather then her music? Everybody keep saying she pretends to be this, says this, did this.....bah bah bah. Hardly anybody say if they think her music is good judging on it's own merit. I haven't seen anything you lot of talked about, I've only listen to her CD. I think it's great, regardless what you class it as, pop, puck, whatever. What does it matter? would you not like a CD just because the majority label it as something you do not associate yourself with? What has the artist's interviews eddicate have to do with anything?

Jan 21, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 43
If you can put all that stuff out of your mind and enjoy her CD raymondlin, that's great. My problem is I can't listen to her music without cringing because I think she's a hypocrite. The same way I can't listen to Metallica because I think they're money grubbing losers. I think her music is fine pop if that's what you like.

Jan 21, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Is it me or is everyone here only talk about her attitude rather then her music? ....................What has the artist's interviews eddicate have to do with anything?

I guess it's because she's more exciting to look at than listen to or hear, for many people.

Plus, you have to take the baggage as part of the package and you realize that anyone hanging around a shopping mall entrance can get a recording contract these days.

Jan 21, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I'd vote for T.A.T.U. - All the things she said
cool.gif

beat me to it!

Jan 22, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #23 of 43
I've been thinking a little more on this subject.

Every artist has his or her individual stance on a particular style of music. I have discussed this at length with friends, my father and even some musicians and we all agree that the boundaries of what constitutes a certain type or style of music for the most part cannot clearly be defined.

For us as music lovers, the politics and personal opinions of the artist can at times be interesting, but IMHO they must not define what music we listen to. If we take this stance then we will miss out on some fantastic music because of our prejudices.

In the end I think the question must simply come down to - Do you enjoy the music? If the answer is yes then that fine and dandy, if it's no then quit griping about it and listen to something else.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 43
Yes, I like "Anything But Ordinary" too. Also, "Things I'll Never Say" is good.

I'm a little disappointed with the production. It's all a little flat.

Jan 22, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
For us as music lovers, the politics and personal opinions of the artist can at times be interesting, but IMHO they must not define what music we listen to. If we take this stance then we will miss out on some fantastic music because of our prejudices.

Sorry, I disagree with this. Music for me is a little more all encompassing. I do not think you can really seperate the artist from the music, nor should you. Perhaps its the fact that I grew up in the 60's and 70's.

Jan 22, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Is it me or is everyone here only talk about her attitude rather then her music? Everybody keep saying she pretends to be this, says this, did this.....bah bah bah. Hardly anybody say if they think her music is good judging on it's own merit. I haven't seen anything you lot of talked about, I've only listen to her CD. I think it's great, regardless what you class it as, pop, puck, whatever. What does it matter? would you not like a CD just because the majority label it as something you do not associate yourself with? What has the artist's interviews eddicate have to do with anything?

Wouldn't you have a little trouble "judging the music on its own merit" if you were listening to something by, I dunno, George W. Bush, if he made an album? A little silly I know, but you get the idea. Besides, someone on here said that Avril didn't even write the songs on her album, so it's difficult to discuss "her" music. All we can talk about is how much she does or does not RaWk!!!11

Edit: Just for the record, I've only listened to one Avril Lavigne song, so I can't comment on the music from her album. Sorry for going off topic.

Jan 22, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman

I think a lot of people will strongly disagree with you here. Take someone like Jane Fonda (not a musician, but in the entertainment business). My father never, ever forgave her for her stance in the Vietnam war and refused to watch any movie or TV show she was ever on - even Braves baseball games when she and Ted used to go to them! All I heard from him was Hanoi Jane comments all my life. Did he miss out on her acting ability (insert joke here!)? Sure, but he didn't care - it was a strong emotional issue with him. This is a much more extreme case than Avril and her indifferent, wanna-be punk attitude, but my point is that someone's attitude, behavior and politics can be a huge turn off to a lot of people.

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #28 of 43
Morphsci and Richpjr

I do see your point, really. And quite valid points they are too.

One of my favourite alltime musicians is Bob Dylan and artists don't come much more opinionated and politically motivated than him at times.

Re Avril, I look at her for what she is - just a young girl out to have some fun, make a little money. Sure she's naive about the ways of the world and if the truth be know the Raucous Out-Of-Control Punk image that she would have us believe is all made up by her employers, Arista music.

I for one don't expect Avril to be around this time next year. I hope she is around this time next year but sorely doubt it. But for the moment at least she provides some of us with a little entertainment that is not to be taken too seriously.

I don't really care wether she thinks she's Punk, Rock, Pop or even an Opera Singer or a ballet dancer. To me there only two types of music - stuff that I like and stuff that I dislike.

Slight of topic but on a similar vein. I have a regular conversation with my father about frank Sintara. He says how can I be a music lover and not like Sinatra. And my reply is always the same - I own and have listened to his full back catalogue and have come to the conclusion that the guy can't sing for **** and is only any decent because of the bands he played with.

Now regardless of what anybody tells me, I can only judge what I hear for myself and my opinion is that I enjoy this CD. I cannot draw on anything other than the music because that's all I know of her, having not read any newspaper/magazine articles or heard any interviews on radio/tv as yet.

Getting back to what Raymondlin has said before in this thread.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm backing Raymondlin here. I suppose what i'm trying to say, is the same as Raymondlin. Listen to the music, enjoy it for what it is. Leave the heavy, thought provoking, politically charged stuff to the likes of Dylan and Joni et al.

I probably sound a bit full of myself but it's just my thoughts on the matter.

Sound As Ever

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 43
My comments are intentionally overharsh, however, IMO, the image of a artist is very relivant to their music. For example, pink floyd stands for things, mostly the beliefs of roger waters, and to give it an example, his anti-war beliefs. It's a very relivant topic to his life, and for him to take issue with it, IMO, is more correct that someone who simply decides that war is bad. Image IS important for a singer. I cannot believe the words they are saying, unless they prove it to me. I'm somewhat of an elitist, i'll admit, and many people do not share this view of the world, but that's just my .02. Music is more than just beats and words. If it was simply that, there's no way in hell i would have spent what i did on my system, it has potentional to be endlessly deeper, and the mainstream singers, that address the children of the world, and have the power to really make the world a better place choose not to. They speak messages of anger, hate, and violence. I'm not a supporter of censorship by any means, they have every right in the world to say what they say, however, i feel that they should take responsibility for it as well. Avril is just another faceless being that doesn't embody the spirit of music as i believe it. I view her as merely being in the industry to make money, and not caring about anything else. She's created herself a false image, and for that and that alone she losses all respect in my eyes. Now, her lyrics aren't espeically offensive, but she doesn't do anything to help either.

Sorry guys, i just needed to get that out of my system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back