Avantone : Pro Planar
Oct 17, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #121 of 1,500
I absolutely love them. I think the best word to describe the sound is natural yet neutral.

Perfectly stated.

They are just so musical. So rich and lifelike. So, $3000 USD sound for $399 USD.
They are really just amazing at any price.
They will make you wonder why you spent so much more to get so much less, regarding sonic value.
A person who thinks the Hifiman sound is audiophile, will hear these and understand what is missing in the Hifiman sound, and i like Hifiman.
I own Hifiman, and they are great, (dpending on the model).
But the Avantone's are the proverbial "speakers" on your head.

Who will not like them?
Anyone who believes that the Sundara and a Mojo Chord is "killer audiophile", or anyone who needs Beyer T1 Treble, or feels that the thin sounding AKG headphones are "perfect".

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #122 of 1,500
Who will not like them?
Anyone who believes that the Sundara and a Mojo Chord is "killer audiophile", or anyone who needs Beyer T1 Treble, or feels that the thin sounding AKG headphones are "perfect".

Some people like having different sound signatures. I love my T1 and I also enjoy my K702 and K712 .... yet, I am really convinced I will also love the Avantone Pro Planar. 😊

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #123 of 1,500
Perfectly stated.

They are just so musical. So rich and lifelike. So, $3000 USD sound for $399 USD.
They are really just amazing at any price.
They will make you wonder why you spent so much more to get so much less, regarding sonic value.
A person who thinks the Hifiman sound is audiophile, will hear these and understand what is missing in the Hifiman sound, and i like Hifiman.
I own Hifiman, and they are great, (dpending on the model).
But the Avantone's are the proverbial "speakers" on your head.

Who will not like them?
This!!!! That right there. What you said!!!! BOOM!! Right on point 😁😁😁👍👍👍
"They are really just amazing at any price.
They will make you wonder why you spent so much more to get so much less, regarding sonic value."

I've owned a good amount of headphones. Listened to so many. And many iems. But no other headphone like the Avantone Planar has really made me say. Why is this other headphone so much more expensive when I honestly prefer how the Avantone Planar sounds so much more for so much less. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #124 of 1,500
So I think I got the comfort improved and perhaps fixed one shortcoming in the process. The Ar AH1 pads showed up and I tried to attach with Velcro. Sadly I just had thick velcro and not enough. So I couldnt get a perfect seal and the bass suffered. So I put the original pads on and using airstick attached the AR pads to the Avantone stock pads.

More comfy and a larger soundstage. Will get to work on some comparisons.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #125 of 1,500
So I think I got the comfort improved and perhaps fixed one shortcoming in the process. The Ar AH1 pads showed up and I tried to attach with Velcro. Sadly I just had thick velcro and not enough. So I couldnt get a perfect seal and the bass suffered. So I put the original pads on and using airstick attached the AR pads to the Avantone stock pads.

More comfy and a larger soundstage. Will get to work on some comparisons.
The clamp is fine that way?😋

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #126 of 1,500
The clamp is fine that way?😋
Not exactly but there is more cushion and the leather feels better and the ear opening is larger so overall its more comfy

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #127 of 1,500
I just set up a return through Amazon. These were sounding fantastic too. I was heading toward keeping them.

Sadly the headband broke. Be super careful. I was holding it while I was untangling the cord and it broke. I was just holding it at the side by the top of the earcup and the thin metal piece that inserts into the headband broke. It was a clean break.
EFEB18E2-A6A4-467B-B038-115E5C3EEAA2.jpeg

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #129 of 1,500
I just set up a return through Amazon. These were sounding fantastic too. I was heading toward keeping them.

Sadly the headband broke. Be super careful. I was holding it while I was untangling the cord and it broke. I was just holding it at the side by the top of the earcup and the thin metal piece that inserts into the headband broke. It was a clean break.EFEB18E2-A6A4-467B-B038-115E5C3EEAA2.jpeg
Oh my :/. Now I have to be extra cautious

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #130 of 1,500
Oh dear, that's a bad break!
Its crazy. I was just holding them. With all the weird contortions I have had my m1060, m1060c and m565s do with their silly headbands no issues. This one I just held it in the wrong place and snap. How are studios not breaking these?

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #131 of 1,500
A couple reviews I found...

https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/avantone-planar-review

also, from Sweetwater:

"Remarkable audiophile sound quality for an affordable price.
You can pay 3x as much and not get the sound quality that these Avantone's are producing.
Natural balanced sound, detailed and dynamic.
These do not thump, they are not Bass canons, but they are very accurate and have a rich vintage speaker sound.
Soundstage is remarkable.
These will appeal to those who have a quiet studio and want fine sounding accurate headphones for mixing and mastering.
Audiophiles who are weary of paying lots of money for Planar's, only to be disappointed, will be delighted by this affordable gear.
Cables are easy to upgrade.
Downside? The pads are not the best and the metal frame is a bit large and clunky, and those who love their big bass response, need to look elsewhere.
Otherwise, incredible sonic value for the money."

Here's an interesting thread from Gearslutz, the largest audio production forum. Impressions begin at post 15:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro...-pro-announces-all-new-planar-headphones.html

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #132 of 1,500
Its crazy. I was just holding them. With all the weird contortions I have had my m1060, m1060c and m565s do with their silly headbands no issues. This one I just held it in the wrong place and snap. How are studios not breaking these?

That doesn't look like a cheap part. Maybe it was just a fluke. From what I've seen these are massive headphones so they definitely shouldn't cheap out on the hinges. A little too massive for me. I like what I'm hearing about the sound and I would like a step-up planar from my Monoprice M570, but these things almost look like small bookshelf speakers connected by a headband.

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #133 of 1,500
That doesn't look like a cheap part. Maybe it was just a fluke. From what I've seen these are massive headphones so they definitely shouldn't cheap out on the hinges. A little too massive for me. I like what I'm hearing about the sound and I would like a step-up planar from my Monoprice M570, but these things almost look like small bookshelf speakers connected by a headband.
The sound presentation is very STAX like. Book shelf speakers on the head they are :wink:

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #134 of 1,500
It may have been a fluke but still, pretty bad break. Something similar happened to me on my first Audeze Sine DX. The little swivel part just snapped out of no where when I was putting them on my head. Luckily Audeze replaced the whole headphone for me. These things can happen unfortunately, even to $2000+ headphones. But now we all know where to be careful with this headphones. Let us know how returning it goes for you

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #135 of 1,500
The sound presentation is very STAX like. Book shelf speakers on the head they are :wink:

I've never heard STAX. I just like the speed/clarity of the M570 which I assume is due to the planar drivers. I'd like that aspect without the issues the M570 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back