Avantone : Pro Planar
Nov 6, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #226 of 1,500
So been reading about QC issues which is very unfortunate. I have the two washers on both sides, no lump in the headband, everything feels very smooth. Hopefully Avantone reads this and they can make a change and try fixing those quirks. Other than build, I absolutely am loving what I hear. Build for me is great, yes a lot of metal on metal but no issues so far.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #227 of 1,500
UPDATE: FedEx is taking their time with this headphone, I still haven’t received it. Free 2-day shipping has turned into free 5-day which I should’ve anticipated. That’s just how things are. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to pick it up today though, perhaps in the next few hours.

Nov 8, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #229 of 1,500
Okay, guys I finally was able to pick up the Planar today. I promised some impressions so I'll make sure to get back to y'all on that!
What mods did you do the m1060s?

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #230 of 1,500
What mods did you do the m1060s?
My mods consist of:

• Tightened headband
• Custom Vesper Audio alcantara memory foam pads
• Custom Losodo grills
• Fully felt lined rear baffles
• Stock dampening foam removed and stock pad dust cover

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #231 of 1,500
I had another chance to listen to the Ollo S4X. What a beautiful headphone it is. Very neutral like the Planar, I did find more extension into the sub bass on the S4X but the Planar was overall more neutral throughout the mids and treble with more treble extension. I felt imaging was more precise on the Planar but the S4X was very good. Soundstage easily goes to the Planar. The S4X had great depth but the Planar felt more airy and wider in comparison. Detail also goes to the Planar same as transients and speed. Dynamics was close but I think the S4X had the upper hand. Overall, for me, I personally like the Planar more, with a low shelf at 80hz of 3db it also helps fix the roll off and I feel the planar can give more low end detail as well. For build, the Planar is all metal but I actually really love how the S4X felt. If I had to choose one of the two though, it would be the Planar hands down. It's basically a more mature and refined S4X in a Planar driver :)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #233 of 1,500
I had another chance to listen to the Ollo S4X. What a beautiful headphone it is. Very neutral like the Planar, I did find more extension into the sub bass on the S4X but the Planar was overall more neutral throughout the mids and treble with more treble extension. I felt imaging was more precise on the Planar but the S4X was very good. Soundstage easily goes to the Planar. The S4X had great depth but the Planar felt more airy and wider in comparison. Detail also goes to the Planar same as transients and speed. Dynamics was close but I think the S4X had the upper hand. Overall, for me, I personally like the Planar more, with a low shelf at 80hz of 3db it also helps fix the roll off and I feel the planar can give more low end detail as well. For build, the Planar is all metal but I actually really love how the S4X felt. If I had to choose one of the two though, it would be the Planar hands down. It's basically a more mature and refined S4X in a Planar driver :)

I agree completely with the your conclusion except that I find the S4X more neutral in the midrange. Planar is slightly forward in the 800-900Hz range. I own both and will probably continue to own both. S4X sounds more neutral and full range without EQ, while Planar benefits greatly from slight EQ. Overall though, it’s the more technically competent headphone.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #234 of 1,500
Still listening. Although I'm going to mention that I very much agree with FullBright1 and NoThemeReviews on the sound. Seriously, almost entirely.

I will say that the Planars are slightly forward in the upper mids but not in a distracting or uncomfortable way. Sub-bass needs more energy. Like, +15 dB at 30Hz, in order to compensate for the roll-off. Luckily when I made this adjustment with EQ the Planar handles it very well.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #235 of 1,500
Still listening. Although I'm going to mention that I very much agree with FullBright1 and NoThemeReviews on the sound. Seriously, almost entirely.

I will say that the Planars are slightly forward in the upper mids but not in a distracting or uncomfortable way. Sub-bass needs more energy. Like, +15 dB at 30Hz, in order to compensate for the roll-off. Luckily when I made this adjustment with EQ the Planar handles it very well.

+15 db’s! Holy hell! That means that it has horrible sub bass extension for a planar.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #236 of 1,500
+15 db’s! Holy hell! That means that it has horrible sub bass extension for a planar.
I wouldn't say it's horrible. In my opinion, it would be horrible if the sub-bass couldn't be corrected for and sound good, but I think it does. Keep in mind, we're talking about DEEP sub-bass, and specifically 20Hz to about 42Hz. The bass levels out neutrally around 50Hz. Most songs don't seem to be affected much by a 15dB boost at 30Hz anyways.

EDIT: ALSO, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not really the best-trained listener.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #237 of 1,500

I thought it was missing a ton of sub bass first as well, but I think the drivers need broken in and the bass extension changes dramatically.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #238 of 1,500
I thought it was missing a ton of sub bass first as well, but I think the drivers need broken in and the bass extension changes dramatically.
One thing I'm satisfied with is Avantone Pros marketing. They say the Planars frequency range is 30Hz to 30kHz but in my testing, with enough power, you can definitely hear down to 20hz (the headphone rattles slightly though). So, this is reinforcing the idea in my mind that they're trying to be honest.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #239 of 1,500
I wouldn't say it's horrible. In my opinion, it would be horrible if the sub-bass couldn't be corrected for and sound good, but I think it does. Keep in mind, we're talking about DEEP sub-bass, and specifically 20Hz to about 42Hz. The bass levels out neutrally around 50Hz. Most songs don't seem to be affected much by a 15dB boost at 30Hz anyways.

EDIT: ALSO, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not really the best-trained listener.

I've been completely satisfied with the stock bass performance even with my rap and electronic selections. Headband issues aside I totally agree that this headphone performs as advertised, and even better.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #240 of 1,500
I've been completely satisfied with the stock bass performance even with my rap and electronic selections. Headband issues aside I totally agree that this headphone performs as advertised, and even better.
I'm very happy to own these, they're right up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back