Avantone : Pro Planar
Oct 30, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #196 of 1,504
After more research it seems I may have misspoke in regards to Sundara. While there is still a subbass rolloff, it's supposedly not nearly as bad as it used to be, after stealth revisions to the earpads. I have a pair on the way to compare to a HD-560s, and I may end up comparing them to the Avantones as well. What direction did you end up going in?

I have a Sundara sitting in my checkout basket. My wife asked me to wait a couple weeks, home budget reasons. So I'm patiently waiting.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #197 of 1,504
I'm not defending or apologizing for anything - my own tolerance for imperfection differs from others and that is what it is. A little bit of inconsequential imperfection doesn't bother me in certain situations and I've found that such a mindset makes life more enjoyable. YMMV and that's fine.

What I am doing is putting this out there so folks can continue to learn about the headphones and what their overall purchase experience may be.
Hmm... It's starting to remind me too much of Monoprice m1060. I'm glad I got that fast out of my hands. It was like a slinky pretending to be a headphone!

Anyway... My response to that missing washer was not to defend Avantone. Just saying things like these are unfortunately quite common.

I wish more manufacturers would sell and ship out spare parts. I would have fixed my cascades myself but campfire refused to sell me the part I needed and wanted me to ship the headphones to them (5000miles one way). Same with iBasso. SR1's had other issues too that needed fixing. I offered to do it myself but I had to send the headphones to China.

I was by no means trying to sound argumentative or confrontational, so please don't take it as such. I was just thinking out loud. And my last phrase was a general statement and wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I hope our experiences with the Avantone are the exception, not the norm.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #198 of 1,504
I have a Sundara sitting in my checkout basket. My wife asked me to wait a couple weeks, home budget reasons. So I'm patiently waiting.

Do it! Do it!

I'm curious to see how they differ. Sundara will be my next planar purchase for sure.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #199 of 1,504
I was by no means trying to sound argumentative or confrontational, so please don't take it as such. I was just thinking out loud. And my last phrase was a general statement and wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I hope our experiences with the Avantone are the exception, not the norm.
None taken and I do think you made a good point. Manufacturers need to be challenged for their errors. That goes for the soundquality too, not just build errors. I want to see better headphones and settling for less will get us nowhere.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #200 of 1,504
So, for the sake of argument, let's say Avantone Pro skimped on the build quality so they could invest more into the sound quality. Does this headphone sound like $400? If the build is on par or better than the M1060 V2 then I can live with that if the sound quality is legitimate.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #201 of 1,504
So, for the sake of argument, let's say Avantone Pro skimped on the build quality so they could invest more into the sound quality. Does this headphone sound like $400? If the build is on par or better than the M1060 V2 then I can live with that if the sound quality is legitimate.

This of course is subjective, but in simple term, I believe the sound quality is good, or more than fair for its asking price. And that may be the only determinant for some in justifying their headphone purchase. For those folks, I can highly recommend.

But if you believe in the overall experience, than I believe they fall considerably short on the mark.

Unfortunately for me, I prefer the latter.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #202 of 1,504

I think the sound punches far above its price. I think it in someway bests headphones costing 3 times as much. Yeah, it’s not perfect. The build could be better, but I wouldn’t say it’s in any way bad. Some of hifimans more expensive products feel cheaper than this.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #203 of 1,504
I have a couple pairs of M1060 v2 that I modded and the M1060c that I modded. The Avantone headband broke on me and the supposed horrible M1060 build never broke at all. I can do the slinky dance all day and no issues.

Soundwise its harder to say. I wish I had more time. The M1060c that I modded is very wide like the modded m1060 v2. The Avantone is not nearly as wide. Its a smaller presentation but is better in some respects. The mids and highs are clearer and more detailed. Its not exactly like that but its just easier to hear everything on the Avantone. The M1060 is further away and spaced out. It could just be that it impossible to match the volumes, but Avantone is very very clear in a great way. Its also more cohesive than the modded M1060

This is how it sounds:

Avantone: XOX
M1060: x O x

I used the smaller x for the m1060 not because it is smaller but to denote that its more of a rounded soundstage with the vocals being a bit more distant.

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #204 of 1,504
I got a few hours of listening in yesterday, with a signal chain of Spotify HQ --> LG V30 Quad DAC --> THX 789. Wide range of music all across the spectrum... RHCP (Dark Necessities FTW), 21 Pilots, Eagles, Disturbed, Kanye, Tech N9ne, Mick Gordon, Celldweller, Flaw, Beethoven string quartets, Garbage... you get the point.

TL : DR - I am pleasantly surprised; this headphone delivers for those interested in a balanced, neutral, 'true to the recording' sound while still giving it a sense of life. It could have a place in my headphone stable and if I decide to keep it the DT1990 may be the odd man out. Sound quality is more than good enough to compete at this price point.

I had zero expectations and came away pretty pleased. Negatives first though. It creaks a bit and the cable can be very microphonic, which are things I've not really noticed on my other headphones. I also have no real idea what the difference in their 2 cables are - both are 3.5mm terminations for the source hook-in but one cable has a single heapdhone-side termination and the other has 2. I know the headphones are wired in parallel and there isn't anything I could see in their documentation, sooooo... alrighty.

Sonically I really have no complaints. It is designed to be neutral and in that way it delivers. With respect to out-of-the-box performance bassheads won't be satisfied, trebleheads won't be satisfied, HD6X0 disciples may not feel the mids are adequately violating their brainspace, and folks looking to feel like they're listening in the openness of a Kansas prairie may find it closed in. These do take some EQ though and can do a bit of chameleon-acting if one is so inclined.

Soundstage is a bit more closed-in than my HE-500s but the tonality does strike me as even more neutral. Has a Goldilocks presentation in that, to my ears, everything is 'just right'. I perceive the music to be giving me what is there, as it is there. If hard-hitting bass (Celldweller, rap) the headphones slams; if layered and spacious (Dark Necessities) I hear layers and space; if strong vocals and thick mids (The Score) I get thickness; if mastered to win the loudness wars then my ears are assaulted.

Bass seems fairly well extended and stays clean with things like Love Lockdown, which makes a lot of headphones distort on that lowest hit. No hint of bleed into the mids. Mids are even and as full and textured as the recording calls for, with male and female voices alike sitting right where they are in their respective mix. Treble is as bright as the recording with perhaps a roll-off at the uppermost range, and this delivers good detail without feeling artificial. Separation is satisfying.

Going between these and the DT-1990s reveals the slight brittleness that I've come to recognize in the 1990 treble. 1990 hits harder though. The HE-500 has an ethereal, smooth quality in the mids and overall presentation that isn't in the Avantone but that's fine since I don't think Avantone was going for that.

Given I've only had a few hours to listen this post is already longer than I intended. I may come back in a week or more with some more specific thoughts. Until then I bet buyers will continue to be pleased with this headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #206 of 1,504
Nov 2, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #207 of 1,504
Here are the subtle EQ adjustments I made to bring these headphones up a notch. I did this solely based on listening and comparing to my Amphion One15 speakers that are calibrated in my treated room and comparing them to the Ollo S4X. Hopefully you find it helpful!

Low Shelf, +3dB, 60Hz, 0.7Q
Bell, -2.5dB 880Hz, 2.0Q
High Shelf, +2dB, 8kHz, 0.7Q

I’m using an RME ADI-2 DAC to make these adjustments, but they should translate well to other EQs.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #208 of 1,504
UPDATE: The Planars are on track to be delivered to me tomorrow.

Once I receive them I'll give you guys my unboxing impressions.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #210 of 1,504
Where are you guys ordering your Avantone planars from? Any discounts off the $399 list price?
I bought mine from Sweetwater. This is my first time buying from them so my opinion on the transaction is still forming.

I haven’t seen any discounts either. In fact on Avantone Pro’s website they say: “There has been a disturbing, and annoying, trend in the music business over the years that we will not participate in. Some manufacturers release list prices on their products that are ridiculously high ... then leave it to their dealers to "get as much as they can" from customers in the form of varying discounts based on the relationship or buying power of the customer. We think that is frustrating to the end-users. We establish a fair price that anyone can buy for, whether they are rock star millionaires or a customer buying his first really nice mic. Our products are already pre-discounted to a pro-deal level.” So with that being said I don’t believe we’ll see discounts any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back