Avantone : Pro Planar
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #181 of 1,512
It’s interesting that you find them uncomfortable. I’m not that sensitive to headphone weight, but still don’t find these that heavy. Overall they are very comfortable for me.

As far as the build quality, I can partly agree with what you’re talking about. All the materials feel high quality, but the mechanism that connects the ear cups to the headband is strange. I can’t see it breaking anytime soon, but it doesn’t instill confidence in me.

Diving more into the sound quality. It’s like a faster and more detailed Ollo S4X with slightly less sub bass. The entirety of the frequency response is neutral and agreeable in natural way. I did a 3dB low shelf at 80Hz and they’re now perfect. Bass is, really tight and quick.

I said i don't find them necessarily uncomfortable, but I am sensitive to weight. A pound is just too heavy for me for long sessions. But I am glad to hear they fit you well and that you find them comfortable.

I don't think they feel premium just because it's an all metal build. Sennheiser HD650 with all its plastic feel more sturdy and better built for me. These feel raggity in my hand with the mechanism you mentioned above. Feels like a DIY project. But that's just my subjective opinion.

I'm interested in the Ollo S4X and will probably pick them up in the near future. Is there anything you like more on the S4X compared to these?

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #182 of 1,512
According to No Theme Reviews the build quality was excellent, he saw no issues. I think fit and finish are covered in most headphones reviews I read and have watched on Youtube.
But apart from No Theme Review's and, Fullbright1's reviews and a couple of impressions (one post about the headband that snapped) in this thread there are no reviews yet. So unfortunately you had to find out for yourself :)
How do they sound compared to the Fidelio X3s? Do they offer something unique?

I think the overall presentation of the Avantone is smooth and more balanced compared to the intense 'in your face' presentation that I find with the X3s. They are very different IMO. If you're looking to diversify your headphone portfolio, I think these are unique enough and would be a good set to add to your collection. I find the Avantone Planar to sound more similar to my Beyer T1.2 in the overall presentation when volume matched, with better LF but imaging/separation slightly favoring the Beyers.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #183 of 1,512
I said i don't find them necessarily uncomfortable, but I am sensitive to weight. A pound is just too heavy for me for long sessions. But I am glad to hear they fit you well and that you find them comfortable.

I don't think they feel premium just because it's an all metal build. Sennheiser HD650 with all its plastic feel more sturdy and better built for me. These feel raggity in my hand with the mechanism you mentioned above. Feels like a DIY project. But that's just my subjective opinion.

I'm interested in the Ollo S4X and will probably pick them up in the near future. Is there anything you like more on the S4X compared to these?

The only thing I prefer with the sound of the Ollo headphones is the low end extends lower and is a bit punchier. They’re also better built and lighter which seems like something you’d appreciate! Other than that, they’re equal or the planars beat them out.

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #185 of 1,512
Avantone vs. Ollo S4X: as regards imaging and headstage ?

Avantone comes out on top in both aspects. I would describe the imaging on the Ollo S4X as good. Soundstage is small, but you can locate everything rather precisely.

The Avantone planars have a significantly bigger soundstage with a nice left to right and forward depth. Soundstage is certainly bigger than the LCD-X I used to own. Imaging is also nice and accurate. Not significantly better than the S4X, but definitely a step up.

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #186 of 1,512
Mine arrived a bit ago and I'm giving them their first listen. The HE-500 has been my go-to for a good while now and Elegia my closed-back option (DT 1990s also get time), so that's my frame of reference/preference.
  • Very interesting industrial aroma right out of the box, sort of oily
  • This is the most microphonic cable I've ever come across but if you're wearing soft clothing shouldn't be a big deal
  • Comfy to wear and don't seem terribly heavy, though with HE-500s as my standard my scale may be skewed
  • Nice pillowy ear pads. I dig 'em
  • I chuckled at their 'Typical example' for 105 decibels (picture below)
Quick edit. I also noticed something that may or may not be nothing with respect to build quality. On the left yoke there is a silver washer that is not present on the right, and the right is much tighter. Maybe that serves a specific purpose I'm not aware of but caught my eye. Pictures below.

Attachments

• 20201030_124626.jpg
    20201030_124626.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201030_131124.jpg
    20201030_131124.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201030_131136.jpg
    20201030_131136.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #187 of 1,512
Mine arrived a bit ago and I'm giving them their first listen. The HE-500 has been my go-to for a good while now and Elegia my closed-back option (DT 1990s also get time), so that's my frame of reference/preference.
  • Very interesting industrial aroma right out of the box, sort of oily
  • This is the most microphonic cable I've ever come across but if you're wearing soft clothing shouldn't be a big deal
  • Comfy to wear and don't seem terribly heavy, though with HE-500s as my standard my scale may be skewed
  • Nice pillowy ear pads. I dig 'em
  • I chuckled at their 'Typical example' for 105 decibels (picture below)
Quick edit. I also noticed something that may or may not be nothing with respect to build quality. On the left yoke there is a silver washer that is not present on the right, and the right is much tighter. Maybe that serves a specific purpose I'm not aware of but caught my eye. Pictures below.

There should definitely be washers on both side. You said it is much tighter on the right side, so it's probably there and just not visible. Sounds like even worse tolerance issue than my set.

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #188 of 1,512
There should definitely be washers on both side. You said it is much tighter on the right side, so it's probably there and just not visible. Sounds like even worse tolerance issue than my set.

No, there definitely is not one there. You can see the screw in the picture I posted and the washer on the left side is quite visible.

It seems to be strictly structural and is the type of thing I feel nitpicky when I bring up, but it's readily apparent and hard to miss on mine.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #189 of 1,512
That sort of things happen. My iBasso sr1 is missing one out of four screws that hold the "tube" behind the driver in place. Ear cup on my campfire cascades fell off. When I opened it there was a piece missing inside the cups that held the yoke in place. It was held in place just by friction but one day pieces just got loose enough. Weirdest thing was when my bosshifi had the angled baffles installed in opposite directions.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #190 of 1,512
No, there definitely is not one there. You can see the screw in the picture I posted and the washer on the left side is quite visible.

It seems to be strictly structural and is the type of thing I feel nitpicky when I bring up, but it's readily apparent and hard to miss on mine.

I'll double check when i get home, but I'm almost certain there are washers on both sides.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #191 of 1,512
That sort of things happen. My iBasso sr1 is missing one out of four screws that hold the "tube" behind the driver in place. Ear cup on my campfire cascades fell off. When I opened it there was a piece missing inside the cups that held the yoke in place. It was held in place just by friction but one day pieces just got loose enough. Weirdest thing was when my bosshifi had the angled baffles installed in opposite directions.

Agreed, and I am generally pretty forgiving/understanding of things like this. People aren't perfect and hand-built stuff can have more of these 'quirks' in my experience.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #192 of 1,512
Agreed, and I am generally pretty forgiving/understanding of things like this. People aren't perfect and hand-built stuff can have more of these 'quirks' in my experience.

I don't quite understand this line of thinking. You're paying money in exchange for goods. In order for goods to be merchantable, it must pass contract description without objection, fit for intended purpose, and conform to the promise or affirmation made by the label. It's not a charity.

Why would anyone accept anything less??

It's nothing more than a cost saving and poor QC. Every company spends the least they can that can meet internally set threshold. There's nothing for the customer to forgive and understand when the product fails to meet the standard. It's like you're paying them money and apologizing for their mistakes.

Anyways, you're definitely missing a washer.
20201030_154135.jpg20201030_154145.jpg

I don't understand how anyone can find the build quality on these to be good? 🤷‍♂️

After one day of use, already showing signs of wear. Well, I guess it's unavoidable with metal on metal. Be extra extra careful if you intend on selling them in a few months. Oh and the cable you see below will rub against the sharp edges of the screw every time the cups are tilted, so they may be more prone to fraying over time. A plastic cap would've been nice.
20201030_162948.jpg20201030_164207.jpg

I know some people feel the need to defend the products they purchase, but why? What do you owe them?

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #193 of 1,512
I don't quite understand this line of thinking. You're paying money in exchange for goods. In order for goods to be merchantable, it must pass contract description without objection, fit for intended purpose, and conform to the promise or affirmation made by the label. It's not a charity.

It's nothing more than a cost saving and poor QC. Every company spends the least they can that can meet internally set threshold. There's nothing for the customer to forgive and understand when the product fails to meet the standard. It's like you're paying them money and apologizing for their mistakes.

I don't understand how anyone can find the build quality on these to be good? 🤷‍♂️

After one day of use, already showing signs of wear. Well, I guess it's unavoidable with metal on metal. Be extra extra careful if you intend on selling them in a few months. Oh and the cable you see below will rub against the sharp edges of the screw every time the cups are tilted, so they may be more prone to fraying over time. A plastic cap would've been nice.

I know some people feel the need to defend the products they purchase, but why? What do you owe them?

I'm not defending or apologizing for anything - my own tolerance for imperfection differs from others and that is what it is. A little bit of inconsequential imperfection doesn't bother me in certain situations and I've found that such a mindset makes life more enjoyable. YMMV and that's fine.

What I am doing is putting this out there so folks can continue to learn about the headphones and what their overall purchase experience may be.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #194 of 1,512
Hi,

Thanks for this review. I have been debating between getting these or the Sundara with the Sundara in the lead due to great reviews. Any thoughts between the two?

Thanks

After more research it seems I may have misspoke in regards to Sundara. While there is still a subbass rolloff, it's supposedly not nearly as bad as it used to be, after stealth revisions to the earpads. I have a pair on the way to compare to a HD-560s, and I may end up comparing them to the Avantones as well. What direction did you end up going in?

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #195 of 1,512

Hmm... It's starting to remind me too much of Monoprice m1060. I'm glad I got that fast out of my hands. It was like a slinky pretending to be a headphone!

Anyway... My response to that missing washer was not to defend Avantone. Just saying things like these are unfortunately quite common.

I wish more manufacturers would sell and ship out spare parts. I would have fixed my cascades myself but campfire refused to sell me the part I needed and wanted me to ship the headphones to them (5000miles one way). Same with iBasso. SR1's had other issues too that needed fixing. I offered to do it myself but I had to send the headphones to China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back