Avantone : Pro Planar
Oct 16, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #106 of 1,500
Just finding it strange how some people saying it sounds off.
Do you think these headphones require perfect seal? Seal is dependent of head shape and quality of sound is dependent on seal. This would explain, in part, why others hear it differently.

I know my modded M1060s REQUIRE perfect seal otherwise they lose richness in sub bass and male vocals, plus they become sibilant.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #107 of 1,500
What about the fit bothers you? Is it the earpads? Clamp? Weight? And could you give your impressions of how they sound to your ear? 😊. I'm still waiting for the Acoustic Research earpads to arrive but they taking long :/
its not weight. The M1060c is heavier at least it feels it.

Its the clamp mostly. The material on the pads doesn't feel good either. I don't know if the cloth reacts with my skin or what but its uncomfortable. The size of the ear opening is too small too. There was a post about seal, but no way with the clamp and small ear hole you get anything but a great seal. Finally the headband. Too big and no padding. After a while I have to move it since it starts to hurt. I recently put some silicone pads on the band to help relieve the pressure and provide some ventilation.

If you have hair maybe its not a big deal, but I don't so its front and center when I wear it.

I will work on a direct comparison to my modded m1060c. Its a smaller presentation but does seem to be clearer and more detailed. Bass is not as much but still pretty good. I should compare to my modded 565 too.

Did I read right that the Avantone can not be run balanced?

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #108 of 1,500
No Theme Reviews mentioned in his review of the Planar that it can run balanced but specific amps will cause issues due to "weird wiring". And, thats actually a statement from Avantone if I remember correctly.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #109 of 1,500
No Theme Reviews mentioned in his review of the Planar that it can run balanced but specific amps will cause issues due to "weird wiring". And, thats actually a statement from Avantone if I remember correctly.

Both jacks are wired in parallel so that either side can be the side that the cable is plugged into. Because of this feature, they can technically never be be balanced as stock because the ground is always tied together.

That being said, they can easily be rewired to be balanced by completely removing the wire between each side and wiring each ear directly to its jack. you would then just need to make a balanced cable that is a dual 3.5mm trs y cable going to whatever balanced plug you use. one ear could be wired t-s and the other r-s or even matching on both sides as long as you wire the cable to match the wiring scheme.

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #111 of 1,500
Well I have read a few reviews, there is one review on yt and now you. No negatives what so ever. And all were extremely impressed about the price to performance... This could be the best bang for the buck headphone of 2020? 😮😏😁. I think I might do a cheeky and get myself a pair 🎵🎼🎶🎧 and you say better fuller mid range than the Hifiman X V2 😮😅. I loved the X V2 but they were pricey and the mid range. I did want more fullness. Consider the Avantone Planar are $400 USD. And they are competing with headphones high up there.... and honestly by your impressions putting on a deadly fight. IMPRESSIVE.

They are very very good headphones.
Totally unique sound and soundstage.
They possess a richness and a fullness to their overall tonality that is just so impressive and enjoyable.

For anyone who is looking to get into the Audiophile Headphone game, or for anyone who has a room full of headphones that all cost a lot more, and you are not really satisfied...... i would suggest you try these Avantone's and the recent Philips Fidelio X3's.
Both are very special.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #112 of 1,500
They possess a richness and a fullness to their overall tonality that is just so impressive and enjoyable.

For anyone who is looking to get into the Audiophile Headphone game, or for anyone who has a room full of headphones that all cost a lot more, and you are not really satisfied...... i would suggest you try these Avantone's and the recent Philips Fidelio X3's.
Both are very special.

From the reviews I've seen and the comment chatter I've read, the X3's are not being well received by fans of the X2's. And considering this negative feedback plus the fact that they are @ $200 more expensive, they are shaping up to be the flop of the year.

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #113 of 1,500
From the reviews I've seen and the comment chatter I've read, the X3's are not being well received by fans of the X2's. And considering this negative feedback plus the fact that they are @ $200 more expensive, they are shaping up to be the flop of the year.

Are you trying to be funny?
Listen, this headphone came out in September, obo.
So, can a headphone that is out for 40 days, be a "flop of the YEAR"?
Maybe you need to get your math checked. ??
Did you go online and read the reviews?
I read many, and 98% of the reviews praised the X3.
Maybe you should look again more carefully ?

Listen....If a headphone is designated to be a flop because an earlier generation fanboy does not accept the new sound as a superior "audiophile" sound, , then you have to consider that not everything you read is to be taken seriously, or believed.
See, Ive owned every version of this line. All the "X" models, including the X2 and XHR.
Have you ?
So, im telling you, based on my actual experience with all of these Philips designs, that this one is the Audiophile Gear of the bunch.
This bad boy is a totally new design.. Cups, Drivers, Leather......all of it.
And its like i said in my first post or mini review here, ... don't compare this headphone to the previous generations, and dont pay attention to people who downgrade the X3 because they worship the X2 which is not that great of a headphone. In fact its bass it too large, its a V shape, and its treble is too hot.
Fans of the Beyers' and Audiotech midgrade stuff love the X2 because their ears are trained to think that "too bright" is "audiophile, when in facts it not.
This specific headphone set, is a different and superior "X"..... much better then any previous "X" Series.
So, if you believe that a "flop" is based on only the viewpoint of people who are not wanting this headphone to sound better then the X2 , you are being misled and you are missing out on a great sound experience.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #114 of 1,500
Do you think these headphones require perfect seal? Seal is dependent of head shape and quality of sound is dependent on seal. This would explain, in part, why others hear it differently.

I know my modded M1060s REQUIRE perfect seal otherwise they lose richness in sub bass and male vocals, plus they become sibilant.
No. I think it's very hard to not get a good seal with these. I get a great seal every day :)

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #115 of 1,500
its not weight. The M1060c is heavier at least it feels it.

Its the clamp mostly. The material on the pads doesn't feel good either. I don't know if the cloth reacts with my skin or what but its uncomfortable. The size of the ear opening is too small too. There was a post about seal, but no way with the clamp and small ear hole you get anything but a great seal. Finally the headband. Too big and no padding. After a while I have to move it since it starts to hurt. I recently put some silicone pads on the band to help relieve the pressure and provide some ventilation.

If you have hair maybe its not a big deal, but I don't so its front and center when I wear it.

I will work on a direct comparison to my modded m1060c. Its a smaller presentation but does seem to be clearer and more detailed. Bass is not as much but still pretty good. I should compare to my modded 565 too.

I see I see. About the clamp, you could maybe try bending the headband slightly. About earpads, I'll be giving impressions of the Acoustic Research ARH1 sheepskin pads. They are thicker and the ear opening is a bit bigger than the stock earpads on the Plannar, they are just taking a bit long to arrive. About the headstrap maybe dekoni nuggets could work?

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #117 of 1,500

Both are very special.
I absolutely love them. I think the best word to describe the sound is natural yet neutral. Very neutral. Usually neutral/flat headphones sound lacking in the low end and carry no emotion. But the Planar his the richness, it's not bass, it's not pushed forward mids, it's not very energetic or sparkly treble. It's the whole sound. It's all so so so coherent. Everything shines through so naturally and I honestly have not heard many headphones that can do that.

I have heard headphones that sound bigger. Audeze, Meze Empyrean and some others. I have heard other headphones that slam harder. I have heard headphones with amazing forward mids, and headphones with great sparkly treble. Also headphones with massive soundstage. The Avantone Planar has doses of all those things and does it in such an amazingly coherent, neutral way. That is what makes these headphones so special. And most importantly it's the price. I said on a earlier post. The price to performance is extremely high already. But if there were to be a drop on these, the price to performance would be insane and a deal of a lifetime = Extremely Rare Deal.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #118 of 1,500
You're bout to make me act up and buy these things. STOP, I need to save money.
Haha. I'd wait a little longer and see if more impressions/reviews do come along. But I can honestly say, they are one of my most favourite headphones ever. And I have tried many. The Avantone Planar was a blind buy for me and I am so glad I got them :wink:.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #119 of 1,500
Haha. I'd wait a little longer and see if more impressions/reviews do come along. But I can honestly say, they are one of my most favourite headphones ever. And I have tried many. The Avantone Planar was a blind buy for me and I am so glad I got them :wink:.
Have you tried the M1060? If so I’d like to hear your thoughts on that headphone compared to the Planar. I know that may be impossible to do with out A/B listening though.

Oct 17, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #120 of 1,500
Have you tried the M1060? If so I’d like to hear your thoughts on that headphone compared to the Planar. I know that may be impossible to do with out A/B listening though.
I havent heard the M1060 but maybe closest thing is the Audeze LCD-X. I still prefer the Planar over the LCD-X. I know the LCD-X and M1060 are very different headphones though. @Dawnrazor has a moded M1060. Maybe he can give you some quick sound impressions soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back