Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 6, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #466 of 674
Hey everyone, My amp has arrived too!!! Now I need to get to the store to get batteries! Burn in will be a bit of a problem currently because I currently only have a lod cable for the imod so I cannot charge it while playing. I need a mini-to-mini cable anyway because I want to get a vcap dock and then I can burn in the sr71a on my home rig.
Greetings, Anouk,

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #469 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-71A is not a bad or worse amp than the predator. It's just I already own a predator, and I don't really feel like owning two amps with similar sound characters. I prefer to keep amps with different sound signatures. So depending on my mood I would use one amp over the other.

The Airy feeling in SR-71A also hasn't come back like it was in the first couple of hours of unpacking.

I don't know what source you are using but to me the Predator and the SR-71A don't sound a whole lot alike. I find the 71A to have a noticeably different sound with regards to openness and air. I enjoy both and they give a different perspective on the recording but I also find the Predator to be slightly warmer in sound with a smaller venue but that is also, to me, because you are a little closer to the recording, as in a few seats from the stage vs maybe 12 or 15 back. The bass? Not boomy here, not at all.

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #470 of 674
Jlingo's amp is not burned in yet.

Ray said 100-200 hours for burn in.

confused_face_2.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #471 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you include your source and headphones used with these reports? Thanks!

For cans I used the Yuin PK1 and the Ultrasone PROline 2500. For source I used a Denon DVP-NS300, the IC was an RCA to Mini (copper) by Kimber.

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #472 of 674
yes still have to wait until it's fully burned in.

Jamato8, yeah, it's strange, presently my SR-71A is still changing. Thanks for sharing though. I will keep an open mind.

I will see after 200hrs.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #473 of 674
Yeah, mine is changing too. It is sounding a little different. I thought 100 to 200 hours for burn-in, or whatever you want to call it, and have said that many times but i have over 200 hours and I am hearing more clarity, on already good sound so. . . .

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #474 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be expecting a separate letter from Fed-Ex asking you to pay bloated fees way out of proportion to the markings Ray put on the package. They even tried charging me import duties for the shipping cost! Not even the correct shipping cost either. The shipping cost me $42 & they are trying to charge me for a shipping fee of £37 (almost double the price). I emailed them about it but am now awaiting a response.

Yes I opened my mouth too soon! I received an invoice from FedEx today for £18.43.
I can never understand why we have to pay these charges when buying from the USA, yet we do not get charged when buying goods from within the EU.

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #475 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicdiddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I opened my mouth too soon! I received an invoice from FedEx today for £18.43.
I can never understand why we have to pay these charges when buying from the USA, yet we do not get charged when buying goods from within the EU.

Seems very high compared to the declared value - any recourse to contest this?

I'm still hoping mine will turn up today... the amp, not the letter that is.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #478 of 674
Last night I was listening to the 71A and I figured, wow, more burn in and this is sounding so fine. My batteries were down this morning so I swapped out some newly recharged li-polymer. Good sounding but different. Hey John, was it the batteries? ? ? Ok, so after a partial charging I put in the low discharge 9 volt, the Tysonic and yes, just like using the eneloop, they sound better.

So let me repeat this, (Joe Biden) the 9 volt 200mA Tysonic ultra low discharge is better than all other batteries I have tried giving more "air", transparency and in general all sound is improved.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #479 of 674
My grey SR-71A has landed
bigsmile_face.gif
- still waiting for my LOD cable to arrive so will have to make do with mini to mini from headphone socket.

Off to get some batteries...

...pretty soon I hope to look like this >
atsmile.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #480 of 674
4 hours in and it's like hearing some of these tracks for the very first time,

The detail, clarity and depth is already a world away from what I've heard straight out of my iPod before (unsurprising I guess).

The best thing is that I know it's going to get better, much better
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back