Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 3, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #436 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by max111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
better than Reference, so looks like sr-71a and d3 are 1-2 in your list right now eh. hmm.... if both are excellent in terms of sq then d3 seems to be the best bang for bucks.... tough decision man.....
frown.gif

i'm on the same boat.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #437 of 674
I've scanned this thread and probably missed it, but what's the SR-71 battery life like with Duracells?

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #438 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've scanned this thread and probably missed it, but what's the SR-71 battery life like with Duracells?

I got 67 hours on my first pair of Duacells during break-in (played continously) and 70 hours on the second pair. Then I switched to rechargeables.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #439 of 674
That's pretty good.

Just pulled the trigger on a grey one.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #440 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's pretty good.

Just pulled the trigger on a grey one.

And hey Little Bob, I would be interested to know your delivery experience, especially import fees incured. I'm intrested in this little amp too. Spookily enough I'm also a Brightonian.

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #441 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And hey Little Bob, I would be interested to know your delivery experience, especially import fees incured. I'm intrested in this little amp too. Spookily enough I'm also a Brightonian.

Hi Bernado
I ordered the amp from Ray last Friday and it arrived in my hands on the Tuesday.....I would say that's damn good service.
And there were no import charges.

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #442 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicdiddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Bernado
I ordered the amp from Ray last Friday and it arrived in my hands on the Tuesday.....I would say that's damn good service.
And there were no import charges.

Looks like Tuesday will be a working from home day...

Hi Bernado - small World, I actually alternate between Hove and Haywards Heath to be honest. Brighton is the coolest place in the UK IMHO, and that's coming from a Mancunian.

Good news about the import duty Musicdiddy, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #443 of 674
Get rid of the import duties. Free trade. The world is too small to keep up the borders. Just make sure everyone is on the same playing field, which VAT and duties don't always do, we all pay enough already. More money taxed in one way or another so someone we don't even know can divert to their favorite project.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #444 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get rid of the import duties. Free trade. The world is too small to keep up the borders. Just make sure everyone is on the same playing field, which VAT and duties don't always do, we all pay enough already. More money taxed in one way or another so someone we don't even know can divert to their favorite project.

You've got my vote Jamato!

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #446 of 674
Quote:

I find the 71A and the D3 to present the music in a little different way. They are both excellent. Sadly, well I have been there from the beginning of the Reference, they may have both over taken it. I say sadly because I have a special connection with the Reference. It is what it is and that is progress.

John, I'm at about 90 hours with the 71A, and I've used it mostly with my Bedside Rig source and HD650 phones at home, and today at work with my modest Work Rig source and Yuin PK1's - this is the closest that the sound of my work rig has come to that of my home rigs, and is a REALLY good and thoroughly engaging/enjoyable sound in its own right - without comparing it to anything. What amazes me about the sound from the 71A (with both cans in both rigs) is that it can be as forward as it is without introducing the least hint of anything fatiguing. It's at once an exquisitely expressive and tonally/spaciously relaxing listen.

In a few days, I'll be "celebrating" my 14th month anniversary since ordering a Reference.

I would be very interested in your comparative impressions between the 71A & Reference (the one in YOUR possession, which I understand is not a stock model), AND between 71A & D3, at such a time and in such a thread as you would be ready to offer them. If you've already offered those impressions and I've missed them, please just say so, and I'll search for them.

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #447 of 674
Yes, the 71A is very special. I think what allows the forward sound you mention to work is that it also has very fine depth and width so that you have separation and the amp isn't bright, or tilted up in the upper mid and lower high frequencies, which becomes fatiguing.

==I now have the newest version of the Reference but will need time. ===

jlingo, it is interesting that you feel the 71A is slower paced. I find it a very, very fast amp but maybe you mean you feel that the sound is laid back but again I don't really find it laid back but neither is it aggressive. Different sources also play into it.

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #448 of 674
Quote:

jlingo, it is interesting that you feel the 71A is slower paced. I find it a very, very fast amp but maybe you mean you feel that the sound is laid back but again I don't really find it laid back but neither is it aggressive. Different sources also play into it.

Hi John,

I did feel the sound to be laid back compared to the Hornet and Predator. I'm using the term laid back and slow to be pretty much equivalent. Perhaps I may be using a wrong terminology.

So my terminology of slow/laid back is:
Predator(Fast) -> SR-71A(Slower/More Laid Back) -> SR-71(Slow/Laid Back). I hope this doesn't complicate further.

I also find iMOD with Vcap to be a very slow source.

But yes, everything such as source, cables, even recording play a very important role. That's why I put down my gear used for this comment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #449 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received the SR-71A today with Serial Number 190
biggrin.gif
Only 500 in total right?

Not yet burned in, but I'm already VERY IMPRESSED!! Unlike the predator it was very disappointing when you first received it and required hundreds of hours burning in. I'm so glad to say that SR-71A already sounds good right out of the box!

and I would say OMG!!!
Holographic, Spacious, Very Open(not congested), AIR AND AIR GOD, Excellent separation compared to other Portable Amps I have heard, it's somewhat hypnotic, sounds very BIG!! It's got a WOW Factor!! It's definitely comparable to a home amp than portable amp now. It’s defninitely another class of portable amp. Try Classical Symphonies and you may be impressed as much as I do.

Sound Signature between the predator and SR-71A is very similar except for the bottom end part and the mood that each amp caters. SR-71A bass sounds big yet, it's currently a little bit loose and boomy for my taste. Predator Bass is IMO the best I have heard in a portable amp very fast, very tight, very deep. Let see how the SR-71A changes after burning in.

Predator is very energetic, very dynamic, punchy, and fast. It’s so good when you are trying to get pumped up at the gym. Also for those in love for Rock, R&B, or any other fast pace music, I would still recommend the predator over SR-71A.

SR-71A is more polite and laid back, very musical. A lot slower paced compared to the Predator. It’s definitely relaxing and soothing. So for those slow pace music lover, should go for SR-71A. I find the pace and rhythm to be very similar to Corda 3Move. SR-71A is very euphonic and full of emotions. SR-71A air and space is very addicting especially for an IEM like UE-11Pro, it really does sound expansive. For classical music I pick SR-71A anyday due to its richness, separation, detail, and air. As a portable amp, SR-71A is definitely in a class of its own.

SR-71A physically looks huge compared to The Predator though.

This review was tested using iMOD 5.5G -> Au/Ag Alo -> Vcap -> EarCandy Lite -> SR-71A -> UE-11Pro

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase!
beerchug.gif

hi bro, don't you find UE11 with this combo a little to bommy? my 4g imod > Cryo IC > SR71A > UE11 sound very bommy... My Xin modded Xin ref sound a little smaller in soundstage compare to SR71A at the current 50h burn in mark...

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #450 of 674
Today I met w/ vorlon1 and we compared his "old" SR71 w/ the new SR71A. We agree that the new SR71A has a wider soundstage and a more powerful/deeper bass. We feel the older SR71 is a bit more in your face and personally I prefer the SR71.

My SR71A has 210 hours and I do not believe it will change any more. However I will burn it in for another 48 hours to see if any changes occur.

We also had a month old Reference and it was darker and mellower. The D3 was present as well, w/ only 36 hours of burn-in. I liked if much more and if it continuous to develop it may even surpass the rest ... Time will tell.

Rev 1: For a follow up see post #461.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back