Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Aug 4, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #136 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
500 units is a shed load so I don't think anyone is going to miss out.

I agree. But not sure what will happen
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #138 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That wasn't my experience with at least Senns and Grados (admittedly mid forward leaning phones). Did you feel that way with the similar sounding HR2 also? There was a time several years ago (course much as changed in market since then) when I thought the SR71 was one of the best sub-$600 amps out there, home or portable. Yes, I preferred it to the stock XP7 too.

Yeah, I actually preferred my HD650's straight out of my ipod because of it. But actually, I have been noticing this with my Xin amps too, and it bothers me so much that I've been listening to my 600 ohm sextetts straight out of the ipod
eek.gif

so maybe it is some other component in my system, i don't know. But I'm excited to hear this amp!

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #139 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I actually preferred my HD650's straight out of my ipod because of it. But actually, I have been noticing this with my Xin amps too, and it bothers me so much that I've been listening to my 600 ohm sextetts straight out of the ipod
eek.gif

so maybe it is some other component in my system, i don't know. But I'm excited to hear this amp!

Then something is wrong upstream and it isn't the amps.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #142 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any ideas on a price range? The "current" one is about $400.

I'ma guessing it should be the same.
If the price is any higher or lower, it'll be competing against the Hornet or Predator!

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #143 of 674
Well I know that everything has gone up in costs so it is reasonable to expect that the custom case for the SR71a, which is extruded, anodized, and silk screened would be more and it is all made here in the USA will cost more and so goes the final cost of the SR71a.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #144 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I know that everything has gone up in costs so it is reasonable to expect that the custom case for the SR71a, which is extruded, anodized, and silk screened would be more and it is all made here in the USA will cost more and so goes the final cost of the SR71a.

Yes it is custom, the divider between the two 9volts, gone. I think there is some oven baking of the finish in there somewhere. I honestly don't know why it doesn't cost more than it does now. Yes made in the USA probably means more cost. Isn't all of Ray's stuff made here?

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #147 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it is custom, the divider between the two 9volts, gone. I think there is some oven baking of the finish in there somewhere. I honestly don't know why it doesn't cost more than it does now. Yes made in the USA probably means more cost. Isn't all of Ray's stuff made here?

Yes, it is all made in the US and yes there is a heat process for the silk screening.

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #148 of 674
I definitely want one. I love Ray's products in general and the SR-71 is considered by many to be one of the finest portable amps ever built.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #149 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the price is like $450~$475, I don't see why people should get the SR-71a instead of the Predator for a little extra :S

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the SR71 is a dual mono amp without a DAC, and the Predator is not dual mono, but with a DAC. Listening to them side by side, you can tell an appreciable difference in overall SQ, plus the 71a really thumps on the low-end, regardless of the phones I tried with it.
The 71 is like two individual amps, one for left and one for right.

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #150 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the SR71 is a dual mono amp without a DAC, and the Predator is not dual mono, but with a DAC. Listening to them side by side, you can tell an appreciable difference in overall SQ, plus the 71a really thumps on the low-end, regardless of the phones I tried with it.
The 71 is like two individual amps, one for left and one for right.

I didn't know dual mono made that much of a difference..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back