Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Aug 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #151 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the SR71 is a dual mono amp without a DAC, and the Predator is not dual mono, but with a DAC. Listening to them side by side, you can tell an appreciable difference in overall SQ, plus the 71a really thumps on the low-end, regardless of the phones I tried with it.
The 71 is like two individual amps, one for left and one for right.

Er...one amp circuit in the left channel and one in the right channel is not dual mono, that's called single stereo.
rolleyes.gif
A dual mono amp has two amp circuits in a single channel, treating it as if it's "mono" - like Ray's own Apache or B-52. A dual mono amp doubles the circuitry and is typically larger than one that isn't.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #152 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know dual mono made that much of a difference..

It probably doesn't if your only source is an iPod.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #153 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er...one amp circuit in the left channel and one in the right channel is not dual mono, that's called single stereo.
rolleyes.gif
A dual mono amp has two amp circuits in a single channel, treating it as if it's "mono" - like Ray's own Apache or B-52. A dual mono amp doubles the circuitry and is typically larger than one that isn't.

You don't know how much I would love to comment on that, suffice it to say, we shall see, and hear, soon enough.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #154 of 674
I just hope this is the portable amp that has Ray finally ditch those pesky thumbwheel nuts on the rear.

I love my hornet but those wheels are just unfinished and shoddy design to me.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #155 of 674
wow i'm looking forward to it!

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #156 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And now I feel sad. I like reading what people have but I also realize we are not all the same.

I remember an image of the Dailai Lama looking sad and he put his his fingers up behind his head for horns when the Chinese government was saying how evil he was.

I want to see your sig man. It's informative and cool. Don't back down.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #157 of 674
Oh that passed. If I don't have it I can't remember what I have. :^)

I have read a few reports on the SR71a and the sound, from what I have read, is very solid and exceptional. Now to get one and let the Greatful Dead put it to the test!

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #158 of 674
Spot on jamato! I'd like to pipe something from '74 through the old '71A, love shows from '74! Crazy sounding jazz jamming from the boys - Lesh had it going on that year! His bass sounds like a giant amplified rubber band from outer space, and Garcia's solo's are enough to transport you to places only Coltrane have been. I am so looking forward to this amp!

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #160 of 674
Forget the iQube my friend. I have owned the original SR-71, and that amp was like a miniature HR-2 - I now own an XP-7, and although I miss my '71 dearly I am holding out for it's successor. If the new SR-71A has a 3 position gain switch with high gain maxing out at 11, you can be sure that this amp will perform. The fact that it will be capable of driving IEM's in the low setting is just exciting! I'm looking forward to using it to drive my HD600's. Anyway the original SR-71 was one word and that is peerless. I think the new SR-71A will be something special, sounds to me like it'll be a miniature Apache. Not saying anything bad about the iQube, I am just giving advice.
atsmile.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #161 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to see your sig man.

What over and over again??
Sometimes repeatedly in the same thread?
What is the point?

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #162 of 674
i wanted the iqube for that open airy, transparent sound.

Do you thing the sr-71a can deliver that?

But i also wanted to use iems also, so not sure which one would perform better in that department

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #163 of 674
I have an iQube. It is undoubtedly a terrific amp. Neutral, highly resolving and a very very open & natural presentation. Without doing a head-to-head comparison its difficult for anyone to say which is better and why. No one has heard the SR-71a yet. I suspect it will be a few weeks before it will start becoming available and I'll be buying one to compare with the iQube. Will report my findings.

I owned a XP-7 for years and absolutely loved it. The sound, the workmanship, Ray's unparalleled customer service. Only reason I sold was because the XP-7 was transportable at best and I wanted a portable unit. Also Ray's amps in general have a dead quiet black bacground which I haven't quite experienced with other amps. I'm sure the SR-71a will be an impressive amp. Can't wait !

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #164 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one has heard the SR-71a yet. I suspect it will be a few weeks before it will start becoming available and I'll be buying one to compare with the iQube. Will report my findings.

Excellent!
I look forward to your impressions as I'm tempted by the iQube too.
L3000.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #165 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the new SR-71A has a 3 position gain switch with high gain maxing out at 11, you can be sure that this amp will perform. The fact that it will be capable of driving IEM's in the low setting is just exciting! I'm looking forward to using it to drive my HD600's.
atsmile.gif

If I am not mistaken, Ray said the three position gain switch was 2, 6, and 11. I can't remember for sure about the 2 or 6, but I remember the 11 for sure. Maybe someone else from the meet can chime in if they remember. I listened to it for about 30 minites total, about 15 with Ray's 600's alone, and it had power to spare. What I was listening to was the prototype of course. I used my nano with music I listen to every day. I would have taken it home with me if I thought I could get by with it
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back