Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Jul 13, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #106 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray had it at the Detroit meet recently. I'm guessing it will also make an appearance at the Aug 2 Chicago meet.

As was the case when Ray was taking prototypes of the Hornet, Tomahawk, and Predator to meets, this amp had no case when he showed it at the Detroit meet. I didn't get a chance to listen to it (I know...I suck), but those who did were VERY impressed.

And yes, I would expect to see it at the Chicago meet.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #107 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you briefly explain this?

I own some low power tube monoblocks, with huge capacitors, that need a few hours to "saturate", if they aren't powered up for some time.

When listening, you can hear the change when they are good to go. It is not subtle.

Caps that have a good amount of voltage and current draw will form pretty fast. Around 100 hours when new for the caps and opts, even per Cary Audio on all their amps. For very, very low current amps like the Predator the forming of the cap takes quite some time. I have a fairly expensive piece of equipment that can form caps. When doing this at low voltages and low current they take much longer to show a form to full potential uf's vs when new. Audio Note UK has noted this as have many other manufactures.

Some disagree on the period of time that is required for forming but again we can agree to disagree but I have seen it and heard it as have others.

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #109 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every now and then--less frequently recently--a voice of reason rears its head. I challenge this community to read and consider jp's post, which is spot on.

Shouldn't that be one of the purposes of meets like Can-Jam be about. A couple of people bring an amp like the Predator with different amount of hours and compare them to each other.

Formulate a question beforehand, decide how it should be tested and set aside a few hours to form your own conclusions.

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #110 of 674
Quote:

Ray had it at the Detroit meet recently. I'm guessing it will also make an appearance at the Aug 2 Chicago meet.

So I take it if it's following him to the Aug 2nd meet...it's HIGHLY unlikely for it to be debuting this weekend, or next weekend like many are speculating.

Are there any pics of this thing like there were some all over the place of the Predator?

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #111 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't that be one of the purposes of meets like Can-Jam be about. A couple of people bring an amp like the Predator with different amount of hours and compare them to each other.

Formulate a question beforehand, decide how it should be tested and set aside a few hours to form your own conclusions.

I couldn't agree more. However, fewer and fewer people seem willing to invest that kind of time and thought.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #113 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may have missed it, but where is this info coming from? There's nothing on his site, and I scoured the web hard and there isn't anything "official" about it? Release date, specs, info, nothing...

I mentioned it earlier but I realize it could be overlooked and I don't like to have to read through an entire thread all the time myself so I can see how it could be missed. I asked Ray about the amp and if he was going to put out more SR-71's and got the information on the new SR-71a. I had caught wind that there might be something also from a friend who knows of other sites and it was mentioned there.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #114 of 674
Quote:

Anybody want to carpool to "windy"?

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #115 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... I asked Ray about the amp and if he was going to put out more SR-71's and got the information on the new SR-71a...

Has Ray been forthcoming with any more info?

Technical details? Release date? Price?

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #116 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has Ray been forthcoming with any more info?

Technical details? Release date? Price?

In keeping with tradition over the last few years, I am going to guess this will be Ray's portable amp for the Christmas season, with a limited head-fi pre-order price.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #117 of 674
Release is in a few weeks and some of the details are in the text.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #118 of 674
just waiting, time sometimes is sooo slow
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #120 of 674
Time moves slowly as we get closer and closer to its release date. Lol. Hope he doesn't use an LED as the power switch. That's what killed my interest in the Hornet and Predator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back