Auzen X-Fi™ Forte 7.1
Jul 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #151 of 302
By no means am I an expert, but I don't believe that to be true.

If the DAC in the z5500 is "better" than the one on the card, then naturally you're better off using the coax out.

Just try it both ways, as I'd assume the sound card has a better DAC than the speakers.

I see no reason why the Analog out should be "higher quality," as the Coax is nothing more than a digital signal, which bypasses the opamps, buffers, etc.

Feel free to correct me if I've misstated something.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #152 of 302
I think that's what he wanted to say. The output section of the card has a very high quality and is only surpassed by very expensive full-size amps, but certainly not the components in a speaker set of that type.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #153 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMF2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By no means am I an expert, but I don't believe that to be true.

If the DAC in the z5500 is "better" than the one on the card, then naturally you're better off using the coax out.

Just try it both ways, as I'd assume the sound card has a better DAC than the speakers.

I see no reason why the Analog out should be "higher quality," as the Coax is nothing more than a digital signal, which bypasses the opamps, buffers, etc.

Feel free to correct me if I've misstated something.

I just received my Forte today. For some reason I can't get 5.1 working via analog. I attached the external I/O attachment, and matched rear, front, c/sw with the ones on my speaker, but for some reason the sound card only detect my speaker system as "2/2.1 Speakers". I am fairly familiar with Creative driver of this kind since I been using it from the original release of X-Fi and I don't seem to find any option to get it working. On the other hand, Coax out works instantly, with slight tweak of setting I am able to get all satellite speakers to function correctly.

Any Idea what I did wrong with analog out? I never experience this problem with my X-Fi Fatality. IIRC, it would allow me to select 5.1 even if I don't have all my cables plugged in. But in case of Forte, the "Speaker Configuration" is locked to either 2.1 (analog) and 5.1 (coax digital). Also auto mute and headphone setting malfunctioning when I have my headphone plugged in.

EDIT: I figured out how to get 5.1 analog working. Which is hidden in the windows sound setting and not control directly by Auzen/Creative console unlike the creative version of the same driver. One step forward two steps back? I still cannot get auto mute/ auto headphone setting working.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #154 of 302
For gaming, how good is this compared to the X-Fi Raider 7.1? I was just looking at my motherboard, and the only 2 pci-e slots I have are the one that overlapts the ramp clips, so I dont know if that would pop out the ram or not, and the other one is like 1/4 of an inch or less away from my Video Card. I dont want the heat transferring or have the vid card messing up my sound card. I am debating on the pci-e ones (Forte) for like $150, or the Raider (pci) for like $75. Not sure which is better for gaming, or which would sound better for gaming, music, and have digital out.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm800474...GA-P35-DS3.jpg

That is my mobo. The pci-e right next to the pci-e x16 is completely covered by my GTX 260 (massive) and the other one makes it like 1/4 or even 1/8 away from the vid card, whereas the other one overlaps the memory clips.

Am I best off going with the Prelude, or is there a huge difference in stutter or lag with pci-e compared to pci?

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #155 of 302
Looks like a somewhat active forte thread. I just bought this card and am getting a lot of noise through the hp amp. So I just hooked my ad-700 up to the line out for front left/right and voila no noise. The quality seems a bit smoother but bass impact is less. Does the front line out have better components(op-amp/dac) than the hp amp section?

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #158 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my Forte today. For some reason I can't get 5.1 working via analog. I attached the external I/O attachment, and matched rear, front, c/sw with the ones on my speaker, but for some reason the sound card only detect my speaker system as "2/2.1 Speakers". I am fairly familiar with Creative driver of this kind since I been using it from the original release of X-Fi and I don't seem to find any option to get it working. On the other hand, Coax out works instantly, with slight tweak of setting I am able to get all satellite speakers to function correctly.

Any Idea what I did wrong with analog out? I never experience this problem with my X-Fi Fatality. IIRC, it would allow me to select 5.1 even if I don't have all my cables plugged in. But in case of Forte, the "Speaker Configuration" is locked to either 2.1 (analog) and 5.1 (coax digital). Also auto mute and headphone setting malfunctioning when I have my headphone plugged in.

EDIT: I figured out how to get 5.1 analog working. Which is hidden in the windows sound setting and not control directly by Auzen/Creative console unlike the creative version of the same driver. One step forward two steps back? I still cannot get auto mute/ auto headphone setting working.

If your using Vista, sometimes if you don't set up the audio control panel the card will not have all speaker options. Make sure your using the latest drivers available from the site. Try setting up the audio control panel if your in Vista. If your not using Vista or have already tried this, let us know and we can recommend something else.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #159 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For gaming, how good is this compared to the X-Fi Raider 7.1? I was just looking at my motherboard, and the only 2 pci-e slots I have are the one that overlapts the ramp clips, so I dont know if that would pop out the ram or not, and the other one is like 1/4 of an inch or less away from my Video Card. I dont want the heat transferring or have the vid card messing up my sound card. I am debating on the pci-e ones (Forte) for like $150, or the Raider (pci) for like $75. Not sure which is better for gaming, or which would sound better for gaming, music, and have digital out.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm800474...GA-P35-DS3.jpg

That is my mobo. The pci-e right next to the pci-e x16 is completely covered by my GTX 260 (massive) and the other one makes it like 1/4 or even 1/8 away from the vid card, whereas the other one overlaps the memory clips.

Am I best off going with the Prelude, or is there a huge difference in stutter or lag with pci-e compared to pci?

The Forte 7.1 is pretty much the highest quality hardware gaming card avialable -along with the Prelude 7.1. The Forte will give better sound in any task compared to the the X-Raider which is really just a entry level card.. Both sound very similar (Forte/Prelude) just buy the model that suits you the best for interface and size.

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #160 of 302
I had no control over my speaker settings in Windows 7 RC1 build 7100 x86, but everything's selectable in RTM build 7600 x64. I did notice Auzen released a couple updates since my that RC1 install and there's some Win7 stuff listed.

As far as gaming is concerned, I was able to set W7 and GRID/L4D up for 5.1, then set the Creative panel to headphones, CMSS 3D w/ Macro/Elevation on for proper 3D positioning when gaming.

Then when using winamp or wmp audio creation mode w/ bit perfect and 44.1 again working as advertised to deliver the goods as expected.

Things can be a bit finicky if switching while playing back audio or alt tabbed out from a game however. Not recommended after the short amount of time I've played w/ that.
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #161 of 302
Is there a way to disable the headphone jack when using speakers? I always have my MS1 plugged in, and find the sound overlapping when use in conjunction with my Z5500 for movies and games.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #162 of 302
Anyone else having issues w/ the mic suddenly becoming unavailable when switching modes? This seems to be happening on Windows 7 64 RTM and the rear mic jack. I have to reboot to fix the issue, very annoying.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #163 of 302
Can anyone recommend a decently priced amp that goes well with the Forte w/ K702?

I'm loving how the Forte sounds but I would like to have more control over the volume through a seperate amp that lays on my desk. I'm just worried that at most prices I will not find an amp that is as good as the headphone out on the Forte or better.

Would a Little Dot MK I+ portable do well (product specs)? It's got similar opamps in there like the Forte. I already have a HR Micro Amp (06) but the sound is a bit muddier and darker than what's being directly put out from the Forte (probably because the Micro uses TI Opamps).

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #164 of 302
What about a DIY tube amplifier? There are many great units being talked about in the DIY thread.
The headphone output on the Forte 7.1 is actually built using 12 discrete transistors.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #165 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm loving how the Forte sounds but I would like to have more control over the volume

tried Volumouse? I find it far more convenient than an external volume knob
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back