Auzen X-Fi™ Forte 7.1
Oct 9, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #181 of 302
Pretty often when the card came out, maybe 4 or 5 x this year? But they're essentially repackaged creative stuff. Aside from the occasional sound freakout and some mic bugs when swithing modes, I've been very happy with it.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #182 of 302
Does the Forte have any static noise issues? I've read some things along these lines...

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #183 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Forte have any static noise issues? I've read some things along these lines...

I've never experienced this, but apparently some have. I keep thinking they haven't muted their microphone volume or something to that effect.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #184 of 302
I've gotten it with "listen to mic" disabled, however I use my mic often for online shooters so I'd never mute it. It's incredibly rare however and not something that bothers me.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #185 of 302
Sometimes if your card is giving you mic problems you can enable your onboard and use both. Set the cards playabck to the Forte and set the cards recording to the onaboard.

While not the optimal solution, it works none the less.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #186 of 302
Now, the question is should I wait for the new Auzen sound card that is supposedly coming out or jump on the Forte? Anyone know the ETA for the new one?

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #187 of 302
If your a gamer, grab the Forte. The new card is not really meant for the hardcore games. Judging by the specs it is more of a media card but will still handle games fine. Offering EAX 1-4 and OpenAL through software. The Forte 7.1 offers EAX 1-5 and OpenAL all through hardware.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #188 of 302
Wow I'm in a bit of a pickle.. so I found out my computer ONLY has pci-express x 1 slots available! Talk about little room for expansion. The xonar dx card was perfect for me but it needed this additional bloody 4pin/molex power connector (for all their pci-e cards it seems) that my computer didn't have, which necessitated me buying an adapter off NCIX... and the shipping for that would've just come out to be the same price as...this card!!

So for some one who doesn't even game, but just wants a sound card for better music...is the forte even worth it =/ Well..I think it's kinda the only option I have being a pci-e X1 card.

btw I was reading the online manual for it mode, would be best for the music, "entertainment" or "audio creation"?

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #190 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hearing my GPU through mine as well, and I'm using the digital out (routing stereo to the digital output, so through the X-fi chip). It's fine though if my browser is closed, but definitely hear it with a browser open, or in a game.

In my case I'm hearing variable buzzes and clicks, very low in tone in the background, that correspond to to scrolling a web page, etc. The card is picking up interference from my GPU (8800 GTS 512), probably on the PCI-e bus if you've already tried shielding it. I wonder if the Titanium has this as well?

I have a GTX260 and an X-Fi Titanium. The whine is virtually inaudible until you load up a game. It's not really present when you use a browser and what not, but I haven't had it in for a while. I tore that rig apart a while ago and was reading this thread hoping the forte was an upgrade, but for my uses it's a downgrade. More audiophile, less game. I was hoping the game part wouldn't change but it obviously will.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoaphexox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried simply taking an antistatic bag and putting your soundcard in it, then cutting out a hole for the pins so you can plug it back in to the motherboard?

This should eliminate any EMI/RFI that may be causing your problem.

Bad pic, not mine, but to illustrate the idea: http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1...pshieldfs4.jpg

This won't completely eliminate the problem but it helps. I've done this as well. Thankfully I have the metal emi shield and I just put some between the emi shield and the card (which also places the as bag material between the pcb and the video card) and it lessened things a great deal. It's still there, and I doubt it'll go away with a change to the card, but it's definitely a big step in the right direction. In games, you wouldn't notice it, listenign to music while playing games is another story.

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #191 of 302
I just noticed a pair of issues.

1. CMSS-3D when using my Klipsch Promedia 4.1's in 4/4.1 mode will not work. Surround used to put the sound behind me and expand used to well...expand it. Using the little slide bar would determine how much power to give to the rear. This flat out doesn't work anymore. The only difference I can imagine is either the Forte or Windows 7 x64 RTM.

2. Watching a Smallville TV rip x264 mkv AC3 file and there's nothing coming from the rears, nadda, zip, zilch. I've tried changing from quadraphonic to 5.1 and even switched from media player classic to VLC w/ no luck.

Any ideas? IIRC, I did not install the latest driver pack in compatibility mode because it talked about Windows 7 support. But I do see the Creative Audio Engine in my task list which wasn't there before in previous driver versions unless I enabled compat mode, so maybe that's not the issue.

FWIW, I tested a DVD of the Matrix and I do get rear surround sound there.

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #192 of 302
I just got a Forte myself recently and so far I really love it. The whine can be heard on mine too but it is only noticable on games' loading screens, nothing in-game, on the desktop or when listening to music. The built-in amp has definitely helped to push my cans a little further.
I'm using the latest package with the modded Home Theater driver in it and I love the added functionality of this package compared to what the Prelude offered.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #193 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a GTX260 and an X-Fi Titanium. The whine is virtually inaudible until you load up a game. It's not really present when you use a browser and what not, but I haven't had it in for a while. I tore that rig apart a while ago and was reading this thread hoping the forte was an upgrade, but for my uses it's a downgrade. More audiophile, less game. I was hoping the game part wouldn't change but it obviously will.

I only had the problem with the Ultrasone headphones, any high impedance headphone I use is fine.

There are a few topics on [H]forum about this, and some people have solved it by either isolating the mounting bracket from the case, or the bracket from the card (thin paper, or similar). Something to keep in mind.

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #194 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only had the problem with the Ultrasone headphones, any high impedance headphone I use is fine.

There are a few topics on [H]forum about this, and some people have solved it by either isolating the mounting bracket from the case, or the bracket from the card (thin paper, or similar). Something to keep in mind.

good idea! got any link please?

removing the back bracket would not allow any nasty ground loop....indeed
beerchug.gif

I initially had some whining problem on my HD2 when the HDD is defragging, but getting a better PSU fixed the problem altogether(HDD increase the 12V ripple drastically!)...but well, I'm still in the market for SQ improvement as the ground shielding is pretty crappy on the HD2
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back