Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,256 of 3,454
I understand according to reviews that these have a slight treble roll off compared to the ER-4S, how about a comparison with the slightly darker sounding ER-4P? It scares me out whenever I hear treble roll-off, I've been sending back many IEMs for that reason (including Shure products, as noted by luisdent).
The treble is too rolled off for my taste with the stock eartips.

With the medium JVC spiral dot tips that I used them with, treble became neutral, but didn't have a lot of sparkle, but that is just because the lower midrange is so thick in these earphones, it makes the sound slightly more veiled, but they're still very clear.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #3,257 of 3,454
I understand according to reviews that these have a slight treble roll off compared to the ER-4S, how about a comparison with the slightly darker sounding ER-4P? It scares me out whenever I hear treble roll-off, I've been sending back many IEMs for that reason (including Shure products, as noted by luisdent).

It will really depend on your ears. Some people hear the treble as more rolled off than others. With reversed Ts-500 comply tips and a very shallow fit I do not hear the treble as rolled off. It sounds incredibly neutral and realistic with roughly the same emphasis as the ER4S.

Treble is the most variable part of the FR from person to person. The only way you can know how you will hear them is to try them.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,258 of 3,454
The treble is too rolled off for my taste with the stock eartips.

With the medium JVC spiral dot tips that I used them with, treble became neutral, but didn't have a lot of sparkle, but that is just because the lower midrange is so thick in these earphones, it makes the sound slightly more veiled, but they're still very clear.

Thanks for your input! I think I'll have to think twice then haha, especially if they have 'Shure shouty mids with recessed treble style'. I've heard they sounded close to the SE535, can anybody confirm that?

It will really depend on your ears. Some people hear the treble as more rolled off than others. With reversed Ts-500 comply tips and a very shallow fit I do not hear the treble as rolled off. It sounds incredibly neutral and realistic with roughly the same emphasis as the ER4S.

Treble is the most variable part of the FR from person to person. The only way you can know how you will hear them is to try them.

I see... funny thing is that I love the ER-4's treble, and still find the treble of other very different IEMs to be adequate... including the UM Pro 30 / UM3X (even if it's supposed to be recessed), IE 80, UE 900, SuperFi 5, etc. The only in ears that repelled me for their treble response were Shure designs. And no way I can try the Aurisonics where I live, unfortunately. I'll have to rely on reviews, as I always (have to) do before getting an IEM.

Oh, how I regret the Taipei electronic markets where I could try out *all* the headphones in one store.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #3,259 of 3,454
Thanks for your input! I think I'll have to think twice then haha, especially if they have 'Shure shouty mids with recessed treble style'. I've heard they sounded close to the SE535, can anybody confirm that?

I see... funny thing is that I love the ER-4's treble, and still find the treble of other very different IEMs to be adequate... including the UM Pro 30 / UM3X (even if it's supposed to be recessed), IE 80, UE 900, SuperFi 5, etc. The only in ears that repelled me for their treble response were Shure designs. And no way I can try the Aurisonics where I live, unfortunately. I'll have to rely on reviews, as I always (have to) do before getting an IEM.

Oh, how I regret the Taipei electronic markets where I could try out *all* the headphones in one store.
Make no mistake, these do have VERY good clarity in their drivers, it's just that the lower midrange is a bit above the other frequencies in these earphones (but I did get used to it in a few days, after a few days the lower mids sounded only occasionsly too thick, but otherwise the sound was pretty neutral) but I NEVER felt they LACKED treble.

Infact, the treble extension is really good actually, it extends even slightly higher as my previous Philips Fidelio L2 (which has outstanding clear, extended treble). I've heard some sounds in the highs on the Rockets that I've never heard on the L2, and I only played the Rockets through my iPad! (in comparison, I couldn't hear the same high sounds on the L2 even amped with the HRT Microstreamer which is a rather bright amp/dac)

The Philips L2 has more emphasized treble than the Rockets though, but the Rockets have better extension (which is very impressive) but keep in mind that the treble emphasis is north of neutral on the L2

So I would say the treble is neutral in emphasis on the Rockets, but very well extended, and the lower midrange just slightly overpowers the other frequencies OCCASIONALLY (in the beginning when I first listened to them, they were overpowering on ALL songs, but after my brain got used to them, it only happened occasionally, and when that happened it is just a slight bit, but I'm fine with that as I like forward vocals) which creates the illusion that they don't have a lot of treble.

And I'm definitely someone who values clarity a lot.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,260 of 3,454
Make no mistake, these do have VERY good clarity in their drivers, it's just that the lower midrange is a bit above the other frequencies in these earphones (but I did get used to it in a few days, after a few days the lower mids sounded only occasionsly too thick, but otherwise the sound was pretty neutral) but I NEVER felt they LACKED treble.

Infact, the treble extension is really good actually, it extends even slightly higher as my previous Philips Fidelio L2 (which has outstanding clear, extended treble). I've heard some sounds in the highs on the Rockets that I've never heard on the L2, and I only played the Rockets through my iPad! (in comparison, I couldn't hear the same high sounds on the L2 even amped with the HRT Microstreamer which is a rather bright amp/dac)

The Philips L2 has more emphasized treble than the Rockets though, but the Rockets have better extension (which is very impressive) but keep in mind that the treble emphasis is north of neutral on the L2

So I would say the treble is neutral in emphasis on the Rockets, but very well extended, and the lower midrange just slightly overpowers the other frequencies OCCASIONALLY (in the beginning when I first listened to them, they were overpowering on ALL songs, but after my brain got used to them, it only happened occasionally, and when that happened it is just a slight bit, but I'm fine with that as I like forward vocals) which creates the illusion that they don't have a lot of treble.

And I'm definitely someone who values clarity a lot.

My bad. Well I certainly would like to give these a listen...

So far has anybody had problems with the strain-relief-free cable/earpiece junction? 

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #3,261 of 3,454
Just placed an order for Rockets on eBay (200$ new). Should be receiving these within about in 2 weeks. Can't wait to give them a listen! 
etysmile.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #3,262 of 3,454
  Just placed an order for Rockets on eBay (200$ new). Should be receiving these within about in 2 weeks. Can't wait to give them a listen! 
etysmile.gif

Shoot! Undercut by eBay again... Might have to consider dropping my price $12. Ha!

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,263 of 3,454
I did some searching in this thread and found that some people were having trouble with plug retention on their FiiOs. I'm having the same issue with my Nexus 6P. Has anyone here had any luck with extension cables or some method of plugging it in that I'm not aware of?

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #3,264 of 3,454
  I did some searching in this thread and found that some people were having trouble with plug retention on their FiiOs. I'm having the same issue with my Nexus 6P. Has anyone here had any luck with extension cables or some method of plugging it in that I'm not aware of?

I bought this cable from Amazon for my Fiio 2nd gen, and it works perfectly for me.

May 8, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #3,269 of 3,454
hi everyone...newbie to the thread
...i'm in the market for some waterproof iems for they
gym, esp those that have a good seal.

aside from this model, there is also the trinity atlas
which has the extra flexibility of different filters.
similar price points....has anyone compared them
for SQ, build quality and such?

thanks

May 8, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #3,270 of 3,454
  hi everyone...newbie to the thread
...i'm in the market for some waterproof iems for they
gym, esp those that have a good seal.

aside from this model, there is also the trinity atlas
which has the extra flexibility of different filters.
similar price points....has anyone compared them
for SQ, build quality and such?

thanks

I have owned both, sold the Rockets on but still have the Atlas. Rockets only have one sound signature, but it is a very good one. Mid-centric and the midrange is sweet and thick like honey throughout. Treble tuning is safe, lacks a bit of sparkle and may come off as boring or dull on some recordings as a result. Lower mids and midbass is warm and punchy, but doesn't extend very low for bass-heavy genres.

Atlas filters range from bass-monster to bass-anemic. My favorite filters are the Orange which I use for vocal trance and house, a.k.a. workout music as well as the Purple for everything else. Purple filter has really present, smooth highs whereas the bassier filters have chainsaw highs with more energy but still are not fatiguing. Mid range is unfortunately the weak spot of the Atlas, it's far from bad but the timbre is just slightly off no matter what filter you use. I am a mid-head and biased though so I am a lot more picky in this department.

Both are capable of a great seal and fit, Rockets are built like a military tank and the Atlas is a more refined CNC'd aluminum. Detachable cables are a big plus for the Atlas. I don't really know if the Rockets are good for a workout as a) I haven't tested it and b) the cable can be microphonic and stiff.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back