Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,077 of 3,454
  Sorry if this was already talked about, but is anyone removing the weird 3 legged rocket tail that is on the housing? Is it easily removed and placed back on if necessary, or is it glued on?

Is there a purpose for it?

The 3 legged thing is an anchor for the IEMs. They keep them from falling out if they get pulled while being active. I have them on my everyday set (partially because they aren't bothering me and I'm too lazy to take them off and they do help if I get snagged)  They are removable, either entirely or to switch out with the antiloops. I prefer them both off for working out, it cuts down on irritation, and I opted for ear hooks which keep them stable in my ears better.

Honestly though they really aren't necessary. With the right tips they stay anchored extremely well without any aid.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3,078 of 3,454
Hey guys, posted my review over on reddit of the Aurisonics Massdrop edition that I got in the mail on Wednesday. I'm pretty impressed, to say the least, which is definitely something if you consider how many damn IEMs I've owned over the years. Incredible bang for the buck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3dnmjs/aurisonics_rockets_quick_impressions_of_the/

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #3,079 of 3,454
  Hey guys, posted my review over on reddit of the Aurisonics Massdrop edition that I got in the mail on Wednesday. I'm pretty impressed, to say the least, which is definitely something if you consider how many damn IEMs I've owned over the years. Incredible bang for the buck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3dnmjs/aurisonics_rockets_quick_impressions_of_the/

Great review...

Got my Massdrop Rockets a couple of days ago (I'm in the UK) & although they sound good, I thought the overall package was a bit poor - the advertised 'limited edition' status seems like a complete misnomer - 'prototype edition' would've been more accurate.

As you point out in your review, the tri-tabs seem a bit roughly finished - & the cable, whilst impressively sturdy, is shockingly bad - it being stiff, WAY too short & suffering the worst microphony I've ever encountered. No surprise it was changed for the standard retail release.

One of the things that sucks about being in the UK is that US goods typically sell for their USD figure translated directly to GBP - so the Rockets sell for a ridiculous £250 here - that's currently about $390. So much for the 'special relationship'. 

At least the Massdrop has allowed me to hear what the fuss is about at a relatively bargain price (£96 including post).

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3,080 of 3,454
  THESE ARE ******* AWESOME!

Tossed them into an industrial strength laundry machine by accident (in the pockets of one of my exercise shorts). Took them out - drenched. Water in the middle, I honestly thought they were destroyed. Let them dry a bit. I try them on, right ear almost dead - sounds like it was drowning. I was freaking out.

Anyways, I woke up this morning, but decided to try them on anyways.

It was like nothing had even happened to these. They still sound as perfect as the day I got them.

And on top of all that, there's a 5-year warranty.

Talk about customer confidence and product durability. I know of no other IEM maker out there that even comes close to matching Aurisonics in both of these.

I read the warranty pretty carefully but could not find if it's void due to a Zombie Apocalypse. I know they have some pretty sharp teeth and if I'm wearing them and one tries to bite me, they could possibly be ruined.

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,082 of 3,454
  What player is everyone using with these?

I use it primarily with my Nexus 5. But when I work out I hook them into my Rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip. Though I occasionally hook it into my Cowon J3 --> Arrow 4G combo.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,083 of 3,454
How do you think it sounds with the different players. Also have you had any problems with the plug coming out?

I find them to be rather flat with my One Plus One, not as punchy as I would like, but I think they sound good with my Clip+!

Also these are honestly the most uncomfortable IEMs I have ever owned, they either fall out of my ears (even when I have the cable tucked behind my ears), or are just painfully uncomfortable within 20 min or so.

I think i need to get some new tips, but they are so hard to find in NZ.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #3,084 of 3,454
  I know it's not Aurisonics' but the Livv headphones (designed by Dale) look neat. Headphones with their own song storage, bluetooth, etc. Should be very interesting to hear them when they come out.

Word on the street is that the LIVV campaign is set to reboot any day. If you check the LIVV Facebook, they've been posting media about the new campaign. I haven't noticed a specific date mentioned, but since I noticed that you were interested last year, I figured I'd let you know in case you still want them. 
L3000.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #3,085 of 3,454
Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my TDK BA200 iems which sound amazing but give me sibilance with shallow insertion. What I am looking for is something with a similar tonal balance to the HD650s. I am just worried that the Rockets will sound a little too dark compared to the Senns.

THanks

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #3,086 of 3,454
  Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my TDK BA200 iems which sound amazing but give me sibilance with shallow insertion. What I am looking for is something with a similar tonal balance to the HD650s. I am just worried that the Rockets will sound a little too dark compared to the Senns.

THanks

I think the Rockets would be a good fit for you. I owned the BA200 and think the Rockets are similar in tonality. I also owned the HD650 and the Rockets offer a similar approach but are less warm, have more prominent treble, but are never fatiguing or sibilant. I'd even say the Rockets are dryer than the HD650 and are slightly less dark.

*edited for clarity

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #3,089 of 3,454
  I think the Rockets would be a good fit for you. I owned the BA200 and think the Rockets are similar in tonality. I also owned the HD650 and the Rockets offer a similar approach but are less warm, have more prominent treble, but are never fatiguing or sibilant. I'd even say the Rockets are dryer than the HD650 and are slightly less dark.

*edited for clarity

I agree with this assessment. I would think the Rockets fit the bill pretty well.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #3,090 of 3,454
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. These things sound incredible and in many ways remind me of the HD650s. I was having issues with fit and the tips but I settled on comply foamies. Great isolation, excellent bass and smooth all the way through the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back