Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,086 of 3,454
  I like mine, paired with a Fiio X1.  Yep, they have a lot of detail in the uppers, but I like that area (just as some bassheads like the lower-end).  To each their own.  There are 139 pages of posts here, and in them many people report liking the Altones,  Some find them too bright.  We all have our own ears and brains, our own source players, our own music files of varying bitrates and quality, and all of us have our own opinions.  I'm sorry you folks on the past couple of pages report not liking the Altones,  Many of us do.  That's what makes listening (and life) interesting.  Differences of opinion.  

Amen to that.
smile_phones.gif

Sorry if my critique may come across as harsh. I'm an old dude too, I like my treble. I just think that the label "high-end" should imply a reasonably faithful reproduction of sound. IMHO, neither the IG900 nor the Altone are up to that task.

I've tried to illustrate my point in this post. As always, ymmv. I don't have a problem with different opinions.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,087 of 3,454
Other than placing the Rockets as high end I pretty much agree with your assessment of the Rockets james444. I'm not a fan of their form factor (aka eq5 type form) as I prefer a more typical one than most earphones.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,088 of 3,454

Amen to that.
smile_phones.gif

Sorry if my critique may come across as harsh. I'm an old dude too, I like my treble. I just think that the label "high-end" should imply a reasonably faithful reproduction of sound. IMHO, neither the IG900 nor the Altone are up to that task.

I've tried to illustrate my point in this post. As always, ymmv. I don't have a problem with different opinions.

bigsmile_face.gif
   I like my Fidue A83s more than my Altones.  "It's a toolbox."

Not sure what "high-end" means anymore myself.  Nor "faithful."  So many devices have such different sounds, even at high price points.  I'm at the point of feeling that once a sound engineer finishes a mix and it goes out into the world, there is no "right."  Between bit rates and sources and listening devices and eqs and your room/walls/furniture..and...and...it comes down to personal preference.  When I was (much) younger I used to buy external eqs and plug them into my amp to accentuate bass/treble levels.  Now all I want is a flat eq.  And my ears took a beating in the 60s and 70s from those Marshall stacks.  Now I see (hear) youngsters listening to earbuds at volumes I can hear clear across my classroom.  

And here, in various threads, I read discussions of $1000+ iems/earphones and some love them and some hate them and some don't know how they feel.  I'm at the point where I just want to listen to my music and be happy.  If someone says that what I listen with is not "right" (not pointing fingers at anyone here or elsewhere) it's just an opinion.  I like the Altones, even though  (because) they are more treble-specific than others.  Just as the yobo in the car next to me has his bass up so high my mirror is shaking and the change in my tray is rattling and I'm thinking, "what is he LISTENING to besides bass notes?"

And when I want to listen more critically I use my X5 and Fidues and everything smooths out.  And I'm still happy with my music.  Which, after all, is the bottom line, right?  Otherwise you are just chasing the dragon of "right" or "best" and that is a never-ending quest.   

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,089 of 3,454
Awesome impressions James! Love the shot of the robot with all of the goodies nestled on it :) For the record, I also tend to agree with James more often than not that there isn't all that much separating the TOTL stuff from the more humble overachievers. For better or worse, there'll always be a wide swath of opinions in regards to what may or may not adhere to one's own standard of verisimilitude, and so the forums will churn on and on. IMO of course. 
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

deadhorse.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,090 of 3,454
I just got the Rockets and like them quite a bit. They've got great mids like everyone else mentioned, but also are a bit mid focused. The bass and treble are both a bit soft compared to my reference (Grado GR8s, which I prefer over the GR10s), but they are incredibly smooth. They have less bass texture than the GR8 (or maybe the GR8 is just grittier) and not as good treble extension. However, it does make me notice the sibilance for the GR8s, of which the Rockets have none of. Build quality is great as well. However, I absolutely loathe the fit. I wear over ear and it's a pain -- does anyone know any ear guides that fit them? I'd like to keep them, but the fit makes it really difficult.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2,091 of 3,454
  I just got the Rockets and like them quite a bit. They've got great mids like everyone else mentioned, but also are a bit mid focused. The bass and treble are both a bit soft compared to my reference (Grado GR8s, which I prefer over the GR10s), but they are incredibly smooth. They have less bass texture than the GR8 (or maybe the GR8 is just grittier) and not as good treble extension. However, it does make me notice the sibilance for the GR8s, of which the Rockets have none of. Build quality is great as well. However, I absolutely loathe the fit. I wear over ear and it's a pain -- does anyone know any ear guides that fit them? I'd like to keep them, but the fit makes it really difficult.

I used the guides from my GR07.  Without those guides would not have kept them either.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,093 of 3,454

Amen to that.
smile_phones.gif

I agree, the Altone is just not there. The Altone in fact, is not much different in tuning from the old H100, just slightly improved. I do have some mods in mind that will help the Altone which I'll reveal once it's my turn with them, but the high distortion of the IEM will always hold it back. Best budget hybrid is the DN1000, now those are high-end and more in line with the K3003, they're just picky with tips. 

MAs are just not great technology yet imo, they're high distortion and limited bandwidth. The bass extension is just not there (they have volume down low but that's because they have a gradual roll off early in the subbass), though they're all fairly well balanced in the lows. EQ8 seems basically ignored for the most part and I'm sure in good reason. 

Also, did you leave the filter on the RE600 and just leave the foam? If so, that makes sense to do, cause completely filterless is peaky IMO. Either way, think the RE400 is pretty much the same performance though less sensitive, so a  bit less dynamic with some sources.

IMO Tenores have the best upper mids and treble of all the mentioned that I've tried, just that darn midbass artifact messes up the lower mids and the subbass isn't as powerful as it's boost may seem. Now imagine the EX1000's tuning and driver for bass and lower mids and upper mids and treble for the Tenore driver [or MH1].....one day I hope...Sony needs to do dual dynamics since the hybrid thing doesn't seem to be working out for them..lol. 

Can't wait for my chance at Rockets. I know what to expect for the bass, but I just hope the treble extension is to par, because things like the GR10/8 have poor treble extension and I hope it's not like that....

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2,094 of 3,454
  I agree, the Altone is just not there. The Altone in fact, is not much different in tuning from the old H100, just slightly improved. I do have some mods in mind that will help the Altone which I'll reveal once it's my turn with them, but the high distortion of the IEM will always hold it back. Best budget hybrid is the DN1000, now those are high-end and more in line with the K3003, they're just picky with tips. 

MAs are just not great technology yet either imo, they're also high distortion and limited bandwidth. The bass extension is just not there, though they're all fairly well balanced in the lows. EQ8 seems basically ignored for the most part and I'm sure in good reason. 

Also, did you leave the filter on the RE600 and just leave the foam? If so, that makes sense to do, cause completely filterless is peaky IMO. Either way, think the RE400 is pretty much the same performance though less sensitive, so a  bit less dynamic with some sources.

IMO Tenores have the best upper mids and treble of all the mentioned that I've tried, just that darn midbass artifact messes up the lower mids and the subbass isn't as powerful as it's boost may seem. Now imagine the EX1000's tuning and driver for bass and lower mids and upper mids and treble for the Tenore driver [or MH1].....one day I hope...Sony needs to do dual dynamics since the hybrid thing doesn't seem to be working out for them..lol. 

Can't wait for my chance at Rockets. I know what to expect for the bass, but I just hope the treble extension is to par, because things like the GR10/8 have poor treble extension and I hope it's not like that....

When you get the Rockets definitely mess around with tips before coming to any conclusions. It seems not everyone gets the linear treble extension I'm hearing with the Meelec biflanges. To me it is definitely more linear than the ER4S, with the ~7k dip filled in and without the higher peaks. I get a 2dB bump at 9.5k and that's it.

Seems more common though to get a lower peak with less emphasized treble, which is a shame because there is gold here if the fit is right.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #2,095 of 3,454
james444

Nice impressions. They make sense.
Any updates per your initial comment about higher volumes?

MAs are just not great technology yet imo, they're high distortion and limited bandwidth. The bass extension is just not there (they have volume down low but that's because they have a gradual roll off early in the subbass), though they're all fairly well balanced in the lows. EQ8 seems basically ignored for the most part and I'm sure in good reason. 

If they had their peak at 3k instead of 2k I would entirely agree. 2k peaks are shouty, whereas 3k peaks are edgy. I'd take the latter as it makes vocals more involving. If I was taking any midrange peak. Turn up the volume on the tenores and the 2k peak is very annoying, which makes sense given the non linear way we hear amplification of certain frequencies. Which is why I like it's relaxing nature with lower volumes, and would rather a 3k peak. IMO of course.

Oddly a 2k peak is great for piano timbre. Go figure.

Their imaging of the midrange on the Tenore leaves me very cautious about talking about their best-ness, but if tonality if the be all, then they are incredibly good at lower volumes.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,097 of 3,454
That's due to the misbass and the peak is at 3k...go figure...

Fine fine, if I can round down to 2, you can round up to 3 :smile:

What's due to the midbass?

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #2,098 of 3,454
Fine fine, if I can round down to 2, you can round up to 3 :Smile:

What's due to the midbass?

I will have my Rockets back tomorrow and will weigh in on this mid range peak. I think mine was quite linear to my ears with a very slight bump at 3k, but I'll be happy to check again.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2,099 of 3,454
I will have my Rockets back tomorrow and will weigh in on this mid range peak. I think mine was quite linear to my ears with a very slight bump at 3k, but I'll be happy to check again.

I think we were talking about the Tenore, at least I was lol.

Happy day. My gf stole my rockets now after not liking them initially. They're pretty dangerous though, like James said, because you can push up the volume and get solid heavy bass impact, and the upper is smooth enough where you won't be cringing from sharpness, ie a recipe for awesome disaster.

So I've been using the GR07 CE which I still think has the perfect stock tips for ears, virtually no pressure on my inner ear. Happy camper. Maybe I should try them on the rockets...

The rocket start noticeably rising for me at about 3k till they peak at 5k with the MH1 tips.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #2,100 of 3,454
I think we were talking about the Tenore, at least I was lol.

Happy day. My gf stole my rockets now after not liking them initially. They're pretty dangerous though, like James said, because you can push up the volume and get solid heavy bass impact, and the upper is smooth enough where you won't be cringing from sharpness, ie a recipe for awesome disaster.

So I've been using the GR07 CE which I still think has the perfect stock tips for ears, virtually no pressure on my inner ear. Happy camper. Maybe I should try them on the rockets...

The rocket start noticeably rising for me at about 3k till they peak at 5k with the MH1 tips.

Ah the Tenore, my bad. I'll weigh in on those tomorrow as well then and make a day of it.

I definitely agree though that Rockets can very easily be pushed into the danger zone volume-wise. The ER4S is similar for me in that its bass sounds more linear at higher volumes, and the treble is largely non-offensive. 

As an aside, I'm of the impression that the GR07 is not the most consistent of iems as far as its treble peak is concerned. I had a pair lacking in treble, and another pair with a noticeable peak more in line with what others seem to report. What's your experience with your GR07 CE? Any sibilance or borderline harshness at higher volumes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back