Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #2,071 of 3,454
  Eh, about what I expected, I'm guessing that means faux detail with none of the veracity and refinement to accompany it. 

If the Altone treble is a bed of nails to you, then it would be like a Raiders of the Lost Ark face melting treble to me.

I can handle the Altone200 in small doses at low volumes using comply tips only. But I have also been reviewing a lot of warmer signature equipment as of late so am more sensitive to treble.

Dead-on. Though I'll concede that they're a smidgen less obnoxious than the Samsung IG900, insofar as foam tips and a layer of dried alcoholic swab makes them actually pretty listenable.

Now, back to the Rockets...

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #2,072 of 3,454
Right now, the MH1 tips, because they are easier to secure in ear without the tri tabs, they don't get left behind in my ear, and push the bump/peak down to 5k without much other change to my ears from medium depth fitting small size sureseal tips, which don't really differ in bass response at all for me given even a reasonable seal.

Kinda sad to hear that because the bass quality I'm hearing is really top notch, besides that last bit of extension. I'd go so far as to say better in note weight, detail/speed and timbre than most I've heard. I'd put the drum timbre ahead of the GR07 which had that as it's bread and butter.

I don't suppose you've tried upping the volume a bit yet? You never know... But I doubt that's the case here.

Also, the sureseal tips have a tendency to fold over which could also be breaking the seal.

Nah, seal with the sureseals (sic!) is perfect, and I agree with you that bass doesn't usually change much with tips as long as one gets a good seal.

Haven't done any A/B listening yet, but just from experience with my test tracks I got the impression that their bass peaks higher up than on the other phones I've been listening to lately. That, and it sounds a tad blanketed, as I said earlier.

Today I'll try out other tips and plan to A/B the Rockets to some micro (or at least small) driver IEMs. Btw, what's the size limit for micro drivers? IIRC IE800 are 7mm, RE600 are 8mm, so are these technically still micro drivers?

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,073 of 3,454
These are 5 mm? I think. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they're 5 mm. I think I recall Dale stating that the raw driver was like the size of a tic tac when Tyll swung by the AS booth.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #2,074 of 3,454

The ASG-1+: I can see why people say it sounds like the Rockets as they're both tuned around that neutral range. I can't say for sure if it has more bass quantity then the Rockets or if it's better then the Rockets yet because I just don't remember well enough but so far it does feel like there's a more gradual curve with the ASG-1+'s bass response. Don't want to comment on the mids just yet. The treble does feel a bit slicker then what I heard on the Rockets and it feels like it has more of an edge in comparison. The soundstage is the biggest difference for me. Haven't tested them enough to comment on the sound cues but whereas the Rockets have a close, intimate and tightnit sound, the ASG-1+ feels wide and laid back and relaxed (typical ASG for those who've listened to them before).

Thanks for the initial impression. Really looking forward to more ASG-1+ reviews. I can't make up my mind yet. I love good bass, but I really prefer a neutral sound sig.
Can you give us more impressions and comparisons about the bass quality, quantity and speed? And also the timbre, instrument placement, layering, speed and coherency of the drivers. 
biggrin.gif

I would love to give these and the 2.5 a try if I have the chance. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,076 of 3,454
Nah, seal with the sureseals (sic!) is perfect, and I agree with you that bass doesn't usually change much with tips as long as one gets a good seal.

Haven't done any A/B listening yet, but just from experience with my test tracks I got the impression that their bass peaks higher up than on the other phones I've been listening to lately. That, and it sounds a tad blanketed, as I said earlier.

Today I'll try out other tips and plan to A/B the Rockets to some micro (or at least small) driver IEMs. Btw, what's the size limit for micro drivers? IIRC IE800 are 7mm, RE600 are 8mm, so are these technically still micro drivers?

I don't know then :confused:
And I'm not entirely sure what blanketed means. Maybe we're hearing the same thing and I think it's great and you think it's meh :smile:

I'd sure like to see measurements. Anyone know what happened to Rin?

Rockets are 5.1mm like SGS and Idsy said, but like SGS, I'd cut it off <8mm

@everyone
Thanks for chiming in on the bass rolloff. I was beginning to suspect that I was either nuts or had whale-like hearing.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,077 of 3,454
I don't know then
confused.gif

And I'm not entirely sure what blanketed means. Maybe we're hearing the same thing and I think it's great and you think it's meh
smile.gif

Nah, they're just a little bass light in my book and what I'm hearing is probably slight masking on some tracks. I've spent hours A/Bing with the IE800, e-Q8, RE600, Tenore and GR10 today (phew!) and the results are quite tellling... just too tired now to put my thoughts into writing, so this will have to wait until tomorrow.

At lower volume, that is. The higher the volume, the better they get. You guys are all blasting your ears out in your quest for flatness lol.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,078 of 3,454
Nah, they're just a little bass light in my book and what I'm hearing is probably slight masking on some tracks. I've spent hours A/Bing with the IE800, e-Q8, RE600, Tenore and GR10 today (phew!) and the results are quite tellling... just too tired now to put my thoughts into writing, so this will have to wait until tomorrow.

At lower volume, that is. The higher the volume, the better they get. You guys are all blasting your ears out in your quest for flatness lol. :wink:  

Sacrificing his body people!

Very suspenseful... -_-
Very much looking forward to it.
Very curious to hear about the e-Q8.

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #2,079 of 3,454
Six-way IEM shootout: IE800 <> Rockets <> e-Q8 <> RE600 <> Tenore <> GR10

Disclaimer: Unfortunately not all of the contenders are in stock form, but tbh I was to lazy to undo the mods. The RE600 have had their stock filters replaced with cotton swab and a damping layer (alcohol swab) in front of the nozzle, the IE800 and e-Q8 have just the damping layer. As a result, the RE600 have noticeably better treble presence than stock and the IE800 and e-Q8 sound a tad less treble-happy than stock.

As for the Rockets, I tried some wider bore tips and they seemed to boost treble presence a bit. But as a side-effect, the mids became a little more diffuse, so I switched back to stock tips for this comparison.

All in all, I spent quite a few hours going back and forth between the contenders with various test tracks, a selection of which and description of how I use them can be found here. However, for the sake of conciseness, I'll pick this single track to base my comments on, as I feel it shows the characteristics of each phone in an easily comprehensible manner:

Ana Carolina - Implicante

Sound quality on the YouTube clip is a bit meh, so here's a Grooveshark link for those interested.

The first 20 seconds are a well-balanced mix of just drums and percussion, which instantly reveals a phone's lows / highs ratio. After that, vocals and instruments start gradually occupying the midrange, while drums and percussion continue their repetitive beat and make it very easy to hear how a phone renders the mids in relation to lows and highs. Comments are based on medium volume listening in a quiet room, depending on phone sensitivity about 40-60/120 on my FiiO X3 (low gain).

The intro is quite interesting, the IE800 pack the deepest and hardest bass punch of them all, but surprisingly well in balance with percussion (which admittedly sounds a tad thin though). The Tenores hit equally deep and only a little less hard in bass, but their highs are not quite as present as the Senn's, and as a result their signature sounds a little more tipped towards bass. Both the RE600 and e-Q8 boast equally solid and clear bass which I'd call linear and rate as my favorite in this shootout. Highs sound nicely balanced with the lows, the HiFiMAN's a tad on the polite side and the Ortofon's a tad on the boisterous side. The Rockets strike me as a little bass light in comparison, their low/high balance slightly tipped towards percussion, even though their treble is by no means forward and has just about the same presence as the RE600's. Of all contenders, the GR10 are most tipped towards brightness, but not because of feeble lows (they actually hold their own against the Rockets very well), but rather due to somewhat exuberant highs, which also sound the least refined of all contenders.

On with the track... as vocals set in, it's instantly apparent that the IE800 are v-shaped, their mids slightly pushed back, but nevertheless extremely clear and tangible. The Tenores retain more mids presence, however vocals appear as a little less refined than on the Senns. The e-Q8 impress with almost clinically clean and detailed mids, showing their kinship with the older GR10 while offering a noticeable step up in refinement. Sound-signature wise, however, the Ortofons have what I'd call an "Ety-bump", a slight boost in the upper mids that makes Ana's voice sound quite forward and a tad off-timbre to my ears. The RE600 more or less match the e-Q8's mids quality, but sound less analytical and more linear throughout the upper range. The Rockets follow suit with impressive detail and alluring timbre, if just a little fuller, richer and (dare I say) a smidgen warmish in comparison. Owing to their somewhat light bass and docile treble, they end up sounding the most mid-centric of all contenders.

To summarize my impressions, there are four IEMs in this shootout that stand out for me: the IE800 offer the must fun, while still retaining audiophile grade quality. Their v-shaped sound signature works best at lower volume levels though. The (modded) RE600 are jack-of-all-trades and show no major sonic weaknesses, though it must be said that their build quality (cable / plug / strain reliefs) is a crying shame. The e-Q8 are amazing performers and the clearest sounding of all contenders, but one has to like the "Ety-bump" and it must be mentioned that I've heard two pairs that showed distortion at (very) high volume. Last not least, the Rockets are a fantastic addition to the high-end IEM world, a little bass-light in comparison to the others here and best suited for mid/high volume in my book, but otherwise a winner which offers easily the best build quality of all contenders.

Now for the two unlucky candidates that didn't make it to the podium, the Tenores and GR10 are both still great performers. The former fall just a tiny bit short in lower mids and bass quality imo, though I'll have to say that their treble is easily up there with the very best. The GR10's misfortune is that their upper range sounds just a tad simplistic and unrefined next to the newer generation moving armature based e-Q8, so it's a simple case of better being the enemy of good.

This concludes the short writeup on my six-way IEM shootout, hope you have enjoyed the read.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #2,081 of 3,454
It's coming guys, the Tpeos will rise from the ashes to obliterate the competition in a surprise twist ending that will warm out hearts! :smile:

SOON™......

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #2,082 of 3,454
  Great write-up, although I would place the Rockets in the mid-range instead of the high end. 

Each to their own. For example, the Altone thread is titled "High End Sound Cheap as Chips". Where does that leave the Rockets, somewhere in outer space I suppose.
wink.gif

It's coming guys, the Tpeos will rise from the ashes to obliterate the competition in a surprise twist ending that will warm out hearts! :smile:

SOON™......

LOL. They're better than the Samsung IG900, I'll give you that.
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #2,083 of 3,454

Each to their own. For example, the Altone thread is titled "High End Sound Cheap as Chips". Where does that leave the Rockets, somewhere in outer space I suppose.
wink.gif

LOL. They're better than the Samsung IG900, I'll give you that.
smile.gif

Don't TPEOS make the IG900 for Samsung or is there some other Korean source of cheap triple hybrids that Samsung went to for their headset?

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,084 of 3,454
I like mine, paired with a Fiio X1.  Yep, they have a lot of detail in the uppers, but I like that area (just as some bassheads like the lower-end).  To each their own. We all have our own ears and brains, our own source players, our own music files of varying bitrates and quality, and all of us have our own opinions.  I'm sorry you folks on the past couple of pages report not liking the Altones,  Many of us do.  That's what makes listening (and life) interesting.  Differences of opinion.  

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #2,085 of 3,454
  Don't TPEOS make the IG900 for Samsung or is there some other Korean source of cheap triple hybrids that Samsung went to for their headset?

Funny, I was asking the same thing a few posts back. Sound signatures are definitely similar, the IG900 being even a tad more aggressive up there.

A comparison to the Samsung IG900s would be much more appropriate (... and you may or may not know what I ended up doing to those ;-).

OT, but anyone here in the know about whether T-PEOS does OEM for Samsung?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back