Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,056 of 3,454

For me there is just a slightly difference in volume from 50hz to 40hz with the majority of roll off happening after 40hz.  In the overwhelming majority of my music collection, there's no bass content below 40hz but most has content down to 40hz, so it is important to me to have noticeable volume down there with the music playing. The Rockets do this quite well. Since neutral sigs are what I look for and prefer, I find the Rockets bass very satisfying with very good texture.  Quantity is spot on to my ears (this isn't to say I don't sometimes enjoy more and that's why I own more than one phone). 

+1

The Rockets bass and sub bass is head and shoulders better than the Tenore IMO.

True, the bass is better in every way....except for quantity.   It's not that the Rockets are bass light -- they just don't have the quantity needed to satisfy most bassheads (some bassheads might be happy with the bass though).   

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,058 of 3,454
For those who've had the Rockets for a while now, do you guys find any changes with burn in? I just got them today. I compared them with my f111s and found that they sound slightly dark in comparison (but because of that also non-fatiguing), but nonetheless better bass quality, quantity, texture and extension. But I must say that I do prefer my f111s by a small margin for the treble, air, soundstage and perceived clarity due to thinner note thickness.@shotgunshane I think I might really like the earwerkz ep2 then...

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2,059 of 3,454
  For those who've had the Rockets for a while now, do you guys find any changes with burn in? I just got them today. I compared them with my f111s and found that they sound slightly dark in comparison (but because of that also non-fatiguing), but nonetheless better bass quality, quantity, texture and extension. But I must say that I do prefer my f111s by a small margin for the treble, air, soundstage and perceived clarity due to thinner note thickness.@shotgunshane I think I might really like the earwerkz ep2 then...

It's been a little while since I last had the F111 but from memory it has a bit more upper mid/lower treble presence that helps give you that greater sense of airiness versus the Rockets.  Since you prefer the F111 presentation, I think the EP-2 might better fit you.  It's airiness is pretty awesome and my favorite aspect of it.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,060 of 3,454
Holy mother of god! ...
eek.gif
... whoever decided to send those Altones along with the Rockets must have a sadistic streak somewhere....
evil_smiley.gif

Just switched over to them from the Rockets for the first time, and it felt like stepping from a sandy beach onto a bed of nails.
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,061 of 3,454
I only glanced at the first line before clicking on the link and thought you were going to mention being blown away by the Altones or something haha

Comparison with K3K please :wink: For science :wink: 

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,063 of 3,454
Hey, I'm not the one who made the assertion that the Altone was comparable to the K3K 
wink.gif

The Altone200 from T-Peos is the most reasonably-priced triple-driver hybrid on the market, and definitely a bargain for the performance offered. With clarity and detail resolution on par with the $1300 K3003, the Altone200 is going to be a reference point for future generations of triple-driver hybrids.

As for the modding LOL. James, your MacGyver-esque talents never cease to amuse me. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,064 of 3,454
Holy mother of god! ... :eek: ... whoever decided to send those Altones along with the Rockets must have a sadistic streak somewhere.... :evil:

Just switched over to them from the Rockets for the first time, and it felt like stepping from a sandy beach onto a bed of nails. :blink:

That two timing little...

I shall sharpen the pitchforks, I know where to find him.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #2,065 of 3,454
  With clarity and detail resolution on par with the $1300 K3003 ...

You know what? I'd even agree with whoever said that. But sadly clarity and detail resolution are only part of the picture.

Take a look at these photos. Click on the first one, then click on the right / left arrows to toggle between them. Which one looks clearer and more detailed?

Correct: the second one. But in reality it's over-sharpened, over-saturated, and its tone curve is way off. The first shot is actually a lot more true to the original scene.

All in all, that's probably not far from how I hear the Rockets vs. the Altones. And indeed, the latter do sound veeery clear and veeery detailed.

As for the modding LOL. James, your MacGyver-esque talents never cease to amuse me. 

<decides to take it as a compliment
tongue.gif
>

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,066 of 3,454
Don't have the rockets yet, but I agree 100% On how your hearing the Altone200.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2,067 of 3,454
Eh, about what I expected, I'm guessing that means faux detail with none of the veracity and refinement to accompany it. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,068 of 3,454
  Holy mother of god! ...
eek.gif
... whoever decided to send those Altones along with the Rockets must have a sadistic streak somewhere....
evil_smiley.gif

Just switched over to them from the Rockets for the first time, and it felt like stepping from a sandy beach onto a bed of nails.
blink.gif

If the Altone treble is a bed of nails to you, then it would be like a Raiders of the Lost Ark face melting treble to me.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,069 of 3,454
I can handle the Altone200 in small doses at low volumes using comply tips only. But I have also been reviewing a lot of warmer signature equipment as of late so am more sensitive to treble.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #2,070 of 3,454
Which tips are you using?

Bass has been a less satisfying aspect about my loaner pair so far. Not only because of limited extension, but it seems to lack immediacy and sounds a bit blanketed overall.

Right now, the MH1 tips, because they are easier to secure in ear without the tri tabs, they don't get left behind in my ear, and push the bump/peak down to 5k without much other change to my ears from medium depth fitting small size sureseal tips, which don't really differ in bass response at all for me given even a reasonable seal.

Kinda sad to hear that because the bass quality I'm hearing is really top notch, besides that last bit of extension. I'd go so far as to say better in note weight, detail/speed and timbre than most I've heard. I'd put the drum timbre ahead of the GR07 which had that as it's bread and butter.

I don't suppose you've tried upping the volume a bit yet? You never know... But I doubt that's the case here.

Also, the sureseal tips have a tendency to fold over which could also be breaking the seal.

shotgunshane
I think my small sureseal tips widened over time. The opening is a good millimeter wider in diameter than the nozzle now. I should compare to the extra set.

I need I get around to ordering those sennheiser dual flanges that gnarlsagan linked, if even just to have in the toolbox. Do they affect the main 6k peak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back